Following Wasp nest removal - anyone used a good pest controller before? Page 2

• GuybrushFreepwood 8 May 2019 06:46:16 945 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    They will not persist past this year if that helps. I think Iíve a nest in the loft somewhere as I found three large bees in the house. Apparently they will only tend to come in the house on cold days or when unwell and confused.
  • Nitrous 8 May 2019 07:03:53 1,796 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guess I'll be waiting then.
    Good idea with the net Pete it's worth a try.
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 07:09:23 35,755 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://imgur.com/gallery/IWNgg3m
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 07:17:51 15,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Covered in bees!

Anyone ever had a moth problem sorted? Weíve got billions of tiny little ones. Worried itís super chemically to get fixed.
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 07:37:35 35,755 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Moths? Burn the house down, salt the earth, change your name and start a new life.

(No idea sorry. At least itís not bedbugs)
  • elstoof 8 May 2019 07:42:27 23,145 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking hate moths. Need to get mine sorted too, think itís either a chemical spray, or you can heat the whole house up to 60c
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 07:54:03 19,711 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Moths are pretty cool. Great eyelashes.
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 07:55:36 35,755 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    or you can heat the whole house up to 60c
    So I was partially correct! \o/
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 07:59:16 19,711 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually disregard what I've just said, I've just found out about this fucking thing.

• Dougs 8 May 2019 08:05:42 89,122 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The plague on my house is slugs. Our house is laid to earth underneath, so they live under there and come up through the floor and the skirting. I've sealed most of the skirting where I can get to it but they still find a way through. Horrible fuckers and I have no idea how to fix it. Can't use pellets because of the cats.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 08:05:48 13,216 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal we had an infestation of carpet moths years ago. We moved the sofa out and hoovered everything and the carpet basically disappeared where the little bastards had eaten it. We got the house fumigated and it got rid of them for a while but the little bastards came back a fee years later. We have hard floors and no wool carpets now so it's not so much of a problem and it's easy to kill them and their larvae.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tineola_bisselliella

Edited by Frogofdoom at 08:07:49 08-05-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 08:12:49 19,711 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The plague on my house is slugs. Our house is laid to earth underneath, so they live under there and come up through the floor and the skirting. I've sealed most of the skirting where I can get to it but they still find a way through. Horrible fuckers and I have no idea how to fix it. Can't use pellets because of the cats.
    Yeah we get that sometimes, fuckers are like ninjas. They can squeeze through a hole the size of a pin apparently. I opened a kitchen cupboard one day to find what I can only describe as a slug orgy. The fuckers had snuck in through the night, gorged themself on dried lasagna sheets and were fucking and shitting all over the place. Horrible fucking things. Satisfying noise when you throw the fucking things out the window though.
  • jimnastics 8 May 2019 08:14:54 1,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a couple of bumble bees making nests around the base of our garage, love watching them do their stuff. Gotta look after the bees guys! When our garage collapses in a couple of months I'll let you know.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 08:18:30 15,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Frogofdoom is the fumigation pretty intense? I have quite bad lungs and most chemical things fuck me up. Could you smell it afterwards?
  • grey_matters 8 May 2019 08:18:37 4,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Do the cats drink beer? Isn't that a thing? I guess you can't leave little saucers of beer around your house all year round.
    Salt? I think that's pretty grim though.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 May 2019 08:20:02 10,713 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My cat eats fudge.

My cat is an idiot.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 08:20:32 15,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moving house sorted our slug problem. Thatís my advice.

Although we exchanged slugs for rats and moths so yeah.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 08:21:38 15,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    My cat eats fudge.

My cat is an idiot.
    Mine eats ear wax. She goes nuts for it. Literally licks it out my ears. Ate a whole pack of used ear plugs once.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 08:23:06 13,216 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal it definitely smelt a little bit for a day or so. Not really bad though and if you stayed out for a night I dont think it would bother you the next day really.
  • Addy__ 8 May 2019 08:23:27 677 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    My cat eats fudge.

My cat is an idiot.
    Mine eats ear wax. She goes nuts for it. Literally licks it out my ears. Ate a whole pack of used ear plugs once.
    Ha we had a cat that was like that. It would go crazy for it.
  • Dougs 8 May 2019 08:28:55 89,122 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Moving house sorted our slug problem. Thatís my advice.

Although we exchanged slugs for rats and moths so yeah.
    Only rodents we get are those that the cats bring in. One rat was fucking huge, dunno how he got it through the cat flap. Had to shoo it out with a broom
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 08:32:20 35,755 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Urgh, rats. We were properly infested for a couple of years, it's was deeply awful and I would not wish it on anyone.
  • elstoof 8 May 2019 08:44:35 23,145 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Recently got another mouse infestation, after being free for the past year. Itís terrible, but the only thing that rides them is glue traps - and amazon stopped selling the good ones. Got some shit Chinese imports that they just run straight over, useless. Hopefully the ones Iíve just sourced are better, then I get to go down in the middle of the night once the screaming starts and put them out of their misery with a hammer
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 May 2019 08:48:06 945 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    My cats are bloody good at getting rid of mice. Didnít even know we had any until we got the cats and then the bodies started turning up.

Helps that our cats are part Maine Coone, so theyíre twice the size of an average cat.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 08:52:33 15,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Urgh, rats. We were properly infested for a couple of years, it's was deeply awful and I would not wish it on anyone.
    Yeah I think itís genuinely damaged my sanity. We had them in our walls and I could hear them all the time. It cost an absolute fortune to sort. And then once it was sorted they had no way of getting into our house and then it was rat Holocaust time for my cat, which was equally grim. Had about a month of bits of rat turning up everywhere.
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 08:56:26 35,755 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Yeah I think itís genuinely damaged my sanity. We had them in our walls and I could hear them all the time. It cost an absolute fortune to sort. And then once it was sorted they had no way of getting into our house and then it was rat Holocaust time for my cat, which was equally grim. Had about a month of bits of rat turning up everywhere.
    Agree re: sanity. I had recurring dreams about rats (still do).

We're more or less rid of them now thanks to various building works plus I think the neighbours did something their side as well. I have some badass steel traps in the loft just in case. I think we still get a few coming through but its not the Lovecraftian nightmare it once was.
  • Dougs 8 May 2019 08:56:57 89,122 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @elstoof get a cat. They'll sort them out in no time.

Every day we have a variety of mice, rats, birds shrews or voles brought in by our 2. We keep the kitchen door shut at night so it's easy to clean up but one of them likes bashing their heads against the wall.
  • Addy__ 8 May 2019 08:58:02 677 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    We used to get Rats from the lodge next door. I remember nearly standing on one that had been Ned Starked by my cat. It's head was another 10ft away. It was a big bastard as well.
  • Alastair 8 May 2019 08:58:56 23,549 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Get a pet toad. Or a load of toads - they eat slugs, right?
  • elstoof 8 May 2019 09:01:40 23,145 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @elstoof get a cat. They'll sort them out in no time.

Every day we have a variety of mice, rats, birds shrews or voles brought in by our 2. We keep the kitchen door shut at night so it's easy to clean up but one of them likes bashing their heads against the wall.
    Then how do I get rid of the cat after, not sure my mouse method would feel right

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.