Following Wasp nest removal - anyone used a good pest controller before? Page 3

• Load_2.0 8 May 2019 09:02:23 29,782 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rats in the walls is proper shit. We had that. When it was quiet at night you would listen and think maybe they have left. Nope! Scratch, scratch, run! It's a fucking rat party.

House was at end of a long terrace so not sure there was really any way to ever sort it permanently. Though did catch one that was fucking huge and that quietened them down. Maybe he was the rat Mayor.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 09:02:31 20,742 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah once all the slugs are gone get some snakes in to eat the toads. Then some foxes to eat the snakes. Before you know it you're getting bears in to eat tigers. Think it through Al for fucks sake.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 09:02:36 13,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think if the old lady who swallowed a fly taught us anything is that introducing another animal to remove an existing one is a slippery slope user Alastair.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 May 2019 09:03:20 11,157 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    @elstoof get a cat. They'll sort them out in no time.

Every day we have a variety of mice, rats, birds shrews or voles brought in by our 2. We keep the kitchen door shut at night so it's easy to clean up but one of them likes bashing their heads against the wall.
    Then how do I get rid of the cat after, not sure my mouse method would feel right
    You keep it and love it, you monster.

Call it Tiddles and stroke it a lot.
  • Jono62 8 May 2019 09:04:22 22,693 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flat I'm living in has had a fly infestation. Don't see them in the evening, but when we come back from work, there are loads of dead flies everywhere. Very annoying.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 May 2019 09:08:16 11,157 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Flat I'm living in has had a fly infestation. Don't see them in the evening, but when we come back from work, there are loads of dead flies everywhere. Very annoying.
    Venus flytrap?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 09:15:02 20,742 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm pretty sure they eat like one fly a week or something.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 09:17:47 13,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get the one from little shop of horrors.
  • jimnastics 8 May 2019 09:18:04 1,645 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All we've got in the house at the moment is ants in the kitchen. We get them every year and every year I swear I've worked out where they're coming in and stick some filler in, but they find a new way.

Nippon ant killer is absolutely outstanding if anyone has an ant problem, the liquid stuff is magic. I put a few blobs down by the back door yesterday, came back 10 mins later and there must have been 50 of the fuckers crowded around feasting on it, ready to take it back to the nest.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 May 2019 09:19:01 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I bought a house once that had fleas. They came to life once I turned the heating on. First night there I was eaten alive. I bought flea bombs and gutted the place. Steam cleaned all the cracks and skirting boards and threw out the carpets.

Also had slugs in that place... which I traced to a leaking shower. I traced the leaking shower by falling through a rotten floor board one morning.

They saw me coming when I bought that place.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 09:21:52 13,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My first flat had fleas, it was a studio flat where they had a cat before. My lack of cat left me as the only food source, it wasnt nice. The landlords solution was to give me flea powder to put down which did nothing but I couldn't do much as he used to come round with his thug. Didnt take long for me to do a runner.
  • Alastair 8 May 2019 09:38:41 23,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    Venus flytrap?
    Sundews or pitcher plants probably more effective

(loves a carnivorous plant)
  • smoothpete 8 May 2019 10:02:16 35,971 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Top tip for rat murder is plaster of paris mixed 50/50 with peanut butter. It reacts with their insides. For one thing it's exothermic, and it blocks them up too. Not a nice way to die but fuck off out of my house.

The worst is when a couple have died somewhere you can't get to, and you get a billion flies in the house from maggots birthed in their rotting corpses. Top tip for that aspect is to turn all the lights off, open a large window and place a very bright light outside the window. All the flies will head for it and fuck off into the night. It's so much easier than flypaper or a flp-flop or whatever.
  • askew 8 May 2019 10:10:25 19,792 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I ended up with a load of flies in the extractor hood above the oven. That was gross, and I wasn't really sure what they were after. After herding one swarm out, it would only be another few hours before the next lot of hatchlings were buzzing behind the filters.
  • Alastair 8 May 2019 10:23:07 23,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You should have put a toad in there.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 10:35:55 13,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Al is about to announce his new toads for sale business.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 10:36:18 16,819 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve made a bit of an error with my cat. Was getting a bit fed up with endless dead mice and such in the mornings so got her a bell. Worked for a bit then didnít, so I got her a louder bell. It took several iterations of this before I realised that I was slowly training my cat to be more and more stealthy, and now my cat is a ninja hunter that canít be stopped.
  • Alastair 8 May 2019 10:46:35 23,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Al is about to announce his new toads for sale business.
    I'm going in to direct competition with your Doom Frogs..
  • Optimas 8 May 2019 10:48:42 23 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nuke them from orbit, tis the only way to be sure.
  • Frogofdoom 8 May 2019 10:49:29 13,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It wont take much to gain a decent market share, people seem hesitant to adopt a living anti fly system.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 10:52:58 20,742 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like to mount a horse and charge at the blighted rats holding a narwhal.
  • Zyrr 8 May 2019 10:58:28 395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We had a wasp nest in the wall cavities last year. It was tolerable during the summer, as only one or two would actually turn up in the house (although I swear, when it was really quiet, you could make out the buzzing in the walls), but when autumn hit and the new queens had left the nest they just went crazy. They were coming in through the light fittings and under skirting boards, both upstairs and downstairs. Literally dozens every day. It was a nightmare.

I really should have called someone out when I realised, but by the time they were a genuine problem there was only a few weeks of life left in the nest, so we just waited them out.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 11:03:18 16,819 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently wasps are territorial, so an old wasps nest or even a fake one will stop others nesting.
  • Dougs 8 May 2019 11:09:56 90,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Iíve made a bit of an error with my cat. Was getting a bit fed up with endless dead mice and such in the mornings so got her a bell. Worked for a bit then didnít, so I got her a louder bell. It took several iterations of this before I realised that I was slowly training my cat to be more and more stealthy, and now my cat is a ninja hunter that canít be stopped.
    :D my 2 are funny... One brings us presents, the other doesn't care about that and does it for sport. He's the head smasher.
  • elstoof 8 May 2019 11:28:28 23,968 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A few years ago I woke up and went to the kitchen, the room was swarming with wasps so I just back led out and closed the door. My flatmate has left earlier so I texted him to ask if he noticed, apparently not. When I got back from work it was like the end of 300, dead wasp bodies everywhere. Glad I closed the door and contained them to the kitchen. I reckon someone had their wasp nest poisoned and the confused little cunts ended up in my ventilation window rather than their usual one, before succumbing to the throes of death. I had to pick each one up with a pair of chopsticks and into the bin, took me well into the night
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 11:37:44 16,819 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you not have a dustpan and brush/broom/hover?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2019 11:44:24 20,742 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah chopsticks seems an odd choice. In fact I can't think of a more time consuming method of picking up hundreds of dead wasps than chopsticks.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 May 2019 11:46:29 16,819 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, even with no other instruments surely you can improvise? You could scoop them up on paper or something?
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 May 2019 11:49:11 11,157 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, but man who laboriously collects hundreds of dead wasps with chopstick accomplish anything.
  • Nexus_6 8 May 2019 12:00:49 4,312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd fuck that off after a minute and go with a knife and fork

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.