Anyone been to Prague?

First Previous
  • Slurmseh 20 Aug 2009 00:43:56 2,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Going with some mates for a week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for things to do?

Also I know Czech beer is awesome (Staropramen and Budvar) but do they brew a Weisse there or is that a Germany thing?
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 00:46:16
    Failing anyone else appearing, wiki has decent ideas on this one
  • Slurmseh 20 Aug 2009 00:50:13 2,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, maybe I should point out that I'm Irish. When I say I want things to do, it basically means where do I go to drink!
  • BartonFink 20 Aug 2009 00:59:51 35,267 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There is an Irish bar right in Wenceslas square.

Normally I would recommend trying the local fare ... Czech republic is an exception ... they fucking boil everything.

Beautiful city. Enjoy.
  • warlockuk 20 Aug 2009 01:04:20 19,492 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you fancy a dark beer, I can recommend Kelt.

Also, one of the walks they do is basically a glorified pub crawl, so you might wanna go on the pub walk.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 01:39:23
    BartonFink wrote:

Normally I would recommend trying the local fare ... Czech republic is an exception ... they fucking boil everything.

Not true! Roast pork, sauerkraut and dumplings is the perfect meal for before, during, or at the end of a piss-up!
  • DaM 20 Aug 2009 06:58:00 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:

Not true! Roast pork, sauerkraut and dumplings is the perfect meal for before, during, or at the end of a piss-up!

+1 - avoid the tourist traps, and if you get handed a menu in English in a locals haunt with burgers and stuff, there will be a different local menu - a phrase book should get you through it.

Avoid Wenceslas Square (especially the Irish bar!) unless you want to pay 2-3 times the price of beer- spread out from the centre a bit. We found a great beer cellar place - underground, totally basic, big long tables, served 2 drinks (lager and dark), when you were finished one, they brought you another without asking. God knows where it was. I don't think it had a name....

This was 10 years ago right enough....might all be one big tourist trap now!
  • smoothpete 20 Aug 2009 07:16:22 35,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ooo yeah I can recommend an awesome beer place, it's a microbrewery / beer hall / food type place. It's not too far from Wenceslas sq, it's awesome. You can buy beer ny the giraffe, which is a huge tall jug with a tap on the bottom, think you get about 6 pints in there. they have some excellent beers. Highly recommended. I'll ask my mates and see if they remember the name of it, will post again later
  • smoothpete 20 Aug 2009 07:21:55 35,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's called Pivovarský dům‎, on the corner of Jecna and Lipova streets, up the road from Karlova Nemesti metro station
  • DaM 20 Aug 2009 07:44:18 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    It's called Pivovarský dům‎, on the corner of Jecna and Lipova streets, up the road from Karlova Nemesti metro station

That might be the place I was talking about, but with a serious makeover!

If you want something different and depressing to do, there is a "model" concentration camp about 20 miles for Prague, Terezín. It was a fortified town the Nazis shipped Jews into - they used to tart it up and let the Red Cross visit to show how nice concentration camps really were.
  • smoothpete 20 Aug 2009 07:46:26 35,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nah it's not underground, it's street level with big windows. But I think we went to the place you're referring to
  • JohnnyWashnGo 20 Aug 2009 08:18:55 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went there a few years ago - great place, plenty to see and do but my memory of it is shocking. Sorry.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 08:49:28
    I actually used to live there, but I'd go drinking with my Czech friends (I was gonna say "Czech mates" but decided that was too obvious) in the locals' places, often in the suburbs, so I don't have too much advice to give to visitors. The locals' pubs are outrageously inexpensive, and they tend to close only when there's nobody left to serve. I remember this one place in Prošek, the suburb I was staying in, that had around fifty arcade machine from the 1980s, quality Czech lager of course, and bar staff who sold weed from behind the bar (this was about ten years ago when I saw that as a good thing). Happy times!

Oh, and Czech girls are mostly hawt.
  • Tonka 20 Aug 2009 09:23:38 29,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If you can't find a place to get drunk in Prague you are either tied up in a coffin or plain dumb. If you want cheapish local food close to the center of town I recommend a restaurant right next to the hostel u Bubenicku seen here

They have a lunch menu on weekdays but it is all inczech. The staff translated it for us though. The restaurant is just a stones throw from the famous Dancing House
  • figgis 20 Aug 2009 09:26:46 7,720 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Don't go in Rocky O'Reilys pub it's quite possibly the roughest pub in Europe.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 09:27:10
    Are you really only going for a piss-up? So many people do this, and it's a shame because Prague is a beautiful city. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it if you took some time to see the sights.
  • Scurrminator 20 Aug 2009 09:27:53 9,045 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can't remember what it was, but we went into this club that had loads of different floors.
    Went underground and everything.
    At the bottom there was a nightclub where you could dance while strippers diddled themselves in the ass all around the edge
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 09:29:40
    All of the strippers are stunning, and dead inside, so they'll let you put a finger up their bum.

^^ pretty sure that was an observation previously made here? Never been myself (but tempted if this is true)
  • Tonka 20 Aug 2009 09:32:53 29,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    Are you really only going for a piss-up? So many people do this, and it's a shame because Prague is a beautiful city. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it if you took some time to see the sights.

I'm a bit torn about Prague for this reason. It is littered with drunk idiots. It's as if they are hell bent on becoming "Amsterdam of the East". I prefer Budapest to Prague.
  • DaM 20 Aug 2009 09:40:50 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    mouse wrote:

I'm a bit torn about Prague for this reason. It is littered with drunk idiots. It's as if they are hell bent on becoming "Amsterdam of the East". I prefer Budapest to Prague.

Yup, I don't really fancy going back. We went in November, it was fairly quiet - even back then, i heard terrible stories of how busy it was in the summer.

Do they still have the Hall of Mirrors thing on the top of the hill? My (now) wife gave me a WTF look when I suggested going in, but after declared it to be the best 20p she had ever spent. They should have that on a board outside.
  • X201 20 Aug 2009 09:55:34 19,249 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    mouse wrote:

There was a report on the Beeb about it a couple of weeks ago, they're clamping down on the stag weekends and drunken prats. Putting beer prices up, closing dodgy clubs etc.

Will try to find a link.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 09:56:23
    That's good to hear.
  • smoothpete 20 Aug 2009 10:09:30 35,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All the places that we went to, stags basically got refused entry, or refused service, which was brilliant.
  • Mageme 20 Aug 2009 10:12:23 2,246 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm heading out there tomorrow! ;D
  • X201 20 Aug 2009 10:21:36 19,249 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Couldn't find the link I wanted, but the fourth section of the first one will cheer you up a bit - yay for the credit crunch \o/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7875415.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8185159.stm
  • phycus 20 Aug 2009 12:44:36 326 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Last time I was there the cheapest place to get a pint was on the palace side of the river. A few local pubs on that side were doing pints for Ł1+, on the tourist side (charle square?) you pay a lot more.

Theres a 6 level club next to one of the bridges (if it is still there) taxi should know the place sorry name escapes me, go there late as its dead before 11. Loads of different styles, though when i was there the 80s room was packed and strange. Girls on one side, blokes on the other - like a school dance or something. Don't let that put you off, girls are hot and its relatively a good night out.

Anyway watch out at the strip joints, usual eastern europe shite - girls ask you buy them a drink, they come back with expensive champagne that you are charged for etc (riga was the worst for that).
  • figgis 20 Aug 2009 12:47:44 7,720 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The massive 6 level club is next to the main bridge (names escape me). Any club with its own well and Techno floor in an empty swimming pool is OK by me.
  • Slurmseh 20 Aug 2009 18:31:54 2,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I've heard of that club, the hostel I'm staying is like a five minute walk from the place. We're right in Old Town which I'm told is expensive enough (for Prague) but I'm sure the prices will seem cheap to me after being ripped off in Ireland for so long!
  • LockeTribal 24 Aug 2009 22:19:10 4,710 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Conveniently enough, I'm going to Prague at the start of next month :) Oddly enough I'm also Irish, not going with the lads though, first holiday abroad with my gf so looking for any recommendations on good places to go and see, decent restaraunts and nightclubs, that kinda thing.

I was also wondering how much money I would need to bring with me, so if anyone has any ideas on that it'd be pretty helpful. We're only gonna be there 5 days though, so shouldn't need too much, right?
  • LockeTribal 31 Aug 2009 14:22:04 4,710 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.