Anyone been to Prague? Page 2

• Red-Moose 31 Aug 2009 14:28:16 5,344 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Going with some mates for a week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for things to do?

Also I know Czech beer is awesome (Staropramen and Budvar) but do they brew a Weisse there or is that a Germany thing?

When I was there, it as around 20p for a 500ml of Staropramen or the other stuff (Krusovic?) in most pubs. Out of town, 10p. Guinnness imported was around 40-50p a pint. It was also full of whores, literally everywhere.

Czech beer is not awesome, it's just bland and uninteresting; if you paid the true price of it (like back in 1994 or so), you'd think the 5 a go these days is a bit facking rich, TBH.
  • tinocat 31 Aug 2009 14:33:21 62 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey LockeTribal.

Prague is a great city. Been there a few times through work and play. Beer and food is cheaper than Ireland (in Dublin myself). There are 2 sides to Prague (imho). The seedy tourist side (which I've seen - Stag Weekend a few years back), then the proper Czech side (great food, great beer, friendly people, superb architecture).

I'd recommend anywhere on the Castle side of the river for the the proper Czech experience.

Half litre of Staropramen is just over a Euro (2008 prices anyway). Great food can be had in bars. If you get the chance I recommend the "Old Bohemian Pan". Superb.
  • LockeTribal 31 Aug 2009 14:41:17 4,711 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for the recommendations tinocat ;)
  • Slurmseh 1 Sep 2009 14:21:48 2,548 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What a city!! Hot women, great weather, historic sites and amazing beer. Easily blew through 400 euro in the week but it was money well spent!

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an amazing trip!
  • mingster 1 Sep 2009 14:45:41 3,487 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd heard you can shoot all sorts of guns legally in Prague on firing ranges.
    Has anyone tried this? Or can recommend a good range?
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 16:57:10
    My other half works for an events company, and she went on a works jolly over there which included shooting and said it was pretty good. They use these guys for all their parties apparently: http://www.stag-prague.com/activities

Various types of shooting stuff in "daytime activities" there. Night activities looks... interesting :/

I like that you can add people to the cart :D
  • mrpon 19 Feb 2010 16:30:51 35,385 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone been recently? Is the currency still the Czech Crown?
  • LockeTribal 19 Feb 2010 16:57:53 4,711 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was there for a week September past, lovely city. Still using the Korunas, yeah.
  • BillMurray 19 Feb 2010 19:57:37 9,432 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was there for about an hour and a half last week and saw fuck all apart from the inside of a very empty pub!
  • Fletche 22 Feb 2010 10:11:49 3,418 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was there last weekend! Still use the Korunas although some places take Euro's, hopefully when you go the snow will still be around as it was lovely walking down a big hill through the snow in -6 temperatures.

Only thing I would say about the city is that the Graffiti is dreadful, it is everywhere and not good graffiti either, just tags
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2015 11:01:57 52,785 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone got any up to date recommendations on bars / clubs / places to eat in Prague?

Supposed to be organising a stag do there in a few weeks.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 27 Mar 2015 11:08:46 486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Best beer pub in Prague :) At least, it used to be in the old days not sure about now...

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 11:15:25 27-03-2015
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2015 11:18:23 52,785 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That looks alright... about a 25min walk from where we are staying.

Anything else in that area of town? What was good about it, the beer or food or just the general beer hallishness?
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 11:25:44
    THFourteen wrote:
    That looks alright... about a 25min walk from where we are staying.

Anything else in that area of town? What was good about it, the beer or food or just the general beer hallishness?
    Been to the same place myself. It had good priced beer, cheery staff and reasonable food. It was quite airy and friendly place I found. Like all? places it allows smoking which I found odd but got used to.

There is a place off the main square that is raved about which I couldn't stand. My g/f and I both ended up sick from it and the staff were a bit leery towards my g/f. Can't recall the name, but it translates to Lard. I'll look up my tripadvisor account for the other places I liked.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 11:33:07
    Ah ha... this place was fantastic. One of the best nights I've had in a long long time and bloody good value.

My tripadvisor review was:

My fiancee spotted this place as we were toiling up to the castle. We paused for a drink and I was at once impressed with the friendliness of the barman who was joking with us and made us feel at home. While drinking a beer, I "wandered around" and went down the intriguing looking stairs and descended into a candle lit grotto...

I almost ran back up to convince my fiancee that we HAD to eat here and she looked around and agreed. There are 3 rooms, separated by short stairs, in the basement cellar, strewn with straw and lit with candlelight. The walls are made to look like a cave and decorated with skulls and the furniture is solid wood with a bar tucked off to the side.

We discovered that for 195 Kc you could reserve a table and enjoy the "medieval night" which runs from 7 through to 10pm (though you could drink for longer than this). The meal and drinks available during the night were standard price and the "normal" menu. There was no rip off price, just a one off charge for the entertainment and you could eat or drink as much or as little as you wanted. So... we booked and dashed back to check the reviews on tripadvisor to see if we should avoid.

Thankfully all the reviews were favourable so we returned at 6:30 and were shown to our table in the corner of the grotto. I had no clue what to order, so settled for my usual " a pivo" and started to soak up the atmosphere. The waitress (who was really good and constantly running about) slammed a beer in front of me and as the beer sloshed over the table I thought "I might just like this place".

Eventually I ordered the "pile of grilled meats for 2" for about 480 Kc and chilled as the place filled. Then the "host" entered dressed like a pirate and stuck his (real) sword into a table and kicked off the night. He discovered we all spoke English to some extent so did his narration in English. He was very funny and encouraged people to get involved, either dragging people out or asking them questions. He was a fire breather and acrobat and "warm up" man for the musicians who entered with a belly dancer shortly after.

I was then utterly mortified to find myself dragged up by the belly dancer to dance with her. I needed way more alcohol, but did my best and Queen and Country would have been proud... actually they'd have disowned me, but it was a hell of a laugh. I sat back the adrenaline pumping and tucked into the food.

The night went on with fire breathing, all of us dancing and the two young boys who were there with their dad were having a lot of fun. We ended up drinking through the night and having the best fun. I was smiling and laughing and we ended up chatting to everyone there and making great friends.

Anyway... I'm waffling, but it was great. Lots of fun, atmospheric and the highlight of our time in the Czech Republic. Go there. Oh and it was airconditioned...my fiancee says I should mention that.

Visited July 2011
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 11:38:06
    The place I didn't like (but which our Czech friend loved) was this place .

review was:

I was recommended this place by a Czech friend who used to live in Prague and who raved about it.

Being Czech, she loved the lard which she smeared over the bread thickly as we tried to figure out what to get in the huge menu. We ordered different things and eventually attracted the attention of a waiter. I tried the lard, but I'm glad I didnt have much. It was just what it says, lard with bits of pig in it, so it had a slight pork scratchings taste. I settled down to a beer.

When I wanted another beer, I had trouble again getting a waiter's attention (very unusual for Czech) and it was some time before I did. Anyway, I got a beer and the food came. There was lots of it, but I have to say it was pretty bland. I had the ribs (tasted dry, overcooked and tasteless), my fiancee had the boar and I cant recall what our friend had. None of us finished our dishes and none were impressed.

My fiancee and I both had food poisoning that night. That aside (and it wasnt a pleasant memory), I would say the restaurant is a shadow of what it once was. The service was very poor (worst I came across in Czech) and the decor was very "tacky" and wouldnt have convinced a 4 year old. It was reasonably pricey (with a cover charge) and the food was not great. My friend apologised. I would not recommend it at all. It has no atmosphere and the decor sucks (and I love all that medieval and knights stuff, this place was just badly done).

Good points: Large menu.

I had a much, much better time and meal at Stredoveka Krema and its a shame that this place was a let down.
  • AceGrace 27 Mar 2015 11:39:28 3,191 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds a bit like Hostel!
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2015 11:50:20 52,785 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Awesome thanks for the info. Think we will definitely avoid the place you didn't like, there is enough choice of other places to avoid one that may not (or may) be any good.

Do you think the place you liked would be stag friendly? I am always concsious of 15 drunken stupidly dressed englishmen ruining family dinners etc.

I booked this place for the friday night meal, looks pretty cheerful and nearby the hotel, plus they have live blues music on during dinner. The owner was happy for a stag party to come in too.

http://www.butchers.cz/en/
  • Load_2.0 27 Mar 2015 12:04:23 29,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think if you can manage to avoid the more built up tourist spots like Charles Bridge and the Astronomical Clock in St Wenceslas Square you won't have too much problem with a big group.

Just make sure you take meter taxis as if you get hammered and jump into a random cab you get stung on price and may not end up at your destination and instead at some shit strip bar miles from the city centre.
  • Load_2.0 27 Mar 2015 12:06:57 29,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really like this place for a afternoon start or recovery the next day.

Good food and usually have the footie on.

http://www.oches.com/
  • figgis 27 Mar 2015 12:11:04 7,720 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Don't go in Rocky O'Reilleys unless you want a fight. The multi floor (about seven or eight) night club by the river (called Jurrasic Park IIRC) is worth a visit for stags.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 12:17:36
    @THFourteen I think they'd be fine with a bunch of blokes coming in. You can always check with them beforehand. We booked the event on the day (its not running every day or wasn't back then). There was a lot of noise (drums and bagpipes and singing) and it was very raucous, so I think you'd be hard pressed to "ruin" anything.. unless you were total pillocks... but then they've got swords and fire breath on their side ;)

Bung them an email or give them a bell. They were really friendly when I went which is why we went in in the first place.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 12:20:25
    It's outside of Prague, but if any of you are retro arcade game nerds, you might find this thread interesting.

I recommend the Zephyr on Michalska in the Old Town. As my American colleague says, their chef "cooks Czech food like a Babicka [Czech grandma] and burgers like a Texan".

Staropramen's Potrafena Husa chain is always a safe bet, if somewhat soulless.

Edited by lucky_jim at 12:20:43 27-03-2015
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 12:21:24
    And that place you've booked (Butcher's) is highly rated, so should be good.
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2015 14:17:51 52,785 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @lucky_jim

Cheers. Think with what we've got planned so far (arrive 1pmish friday, check in, grab lunch, drink, grab nap, dinner, club, saturday breakfast, shooting ak47/m16s, arsenal game, dinner) we won't have time to make it to the arcade.

Plus only 50% of the crowd are geeky :-(

really after a place for dinner on the saturday, and a club for the friday.

Can't find Jurassic Park, did find Roxy's though which is 6 floor or something apparently?
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 14:42:43
    @THFourteen

Roxy is pretty decent, I suggest you also consider the Cross Club too; most of the local hip young things consider it the city's best club.

One thing to be careful of is that in this country, the English word "nightclub" = a brothel. So if you're asking advice/directions/etc. from locals, ask about a disco instead (unless you're actually looking for brothels).
  • Syrette 27 Mar 2015 18:00:30 50,304 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen

Surely there's more to do in Prague than watch the Arsenal?
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 18:07:25
    They have strippers that are dead inside and will let you finger their cornhole
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 18:08:19
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    All of the strippers are stunning, and dead inside, so they'll let you put a finger up their bum.

^^ pretty sure that was an observation previously made here? Never been myself (but tempted if this is true)
    See?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.