Following The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 176

Next Last
  • b-rk 3 Apr 2019 21:04:16 1,249 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have that exact same monitor and my advise would be maybe look at another monitor, perhaps something by Acer instead at around the same price. 4K imo is overrated and a pain in the arse with PC gaming as it's so demanding to play at acceptable frame rates. The 2070 isn't going to cut it to be honest. Myself and others haven't been able to get the Freesync feature working with the BenQ monitor either, but some folks have been more fortunate with that.
  • Spectral 15 Aug 2019 18:03:58 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What are the current options at the very budget end for non gaming PC. I've finally convinced my Gran go get rid of her ancient and terrible Athlon II based system. I can get the bits and put it together no problem, however I don't know what the best options are atm on the very low end.

It needs to have integrated graphics, she doesn't do anything more demanding than watch youtube. I was thinking one of the low end versions of the new Ryzen 2 chips, however it looks like there are currently no budget boards for those and the older boards need BIOS updates to work. So do I go last gen ryzen or a cheap intel based system?
  • THFourteen 15 Aug 2019 18:07:33 53,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How budget do you mean?

The second one on this list seems good

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/
  • Spectral 15 Aug 2019 18:11:53 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    How budget do you mean?

The second one on this list seems good

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/
    Probably something like that Ultr-budget one on that site tbh. However it has a newer Ryzen with an older board, which was the concern I originally had. They don't work without a BIOS update and you can't update the bios with a compatible cpu installed.
  • THFourteen 15 Aug 2019 18:14:45 53,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Spectral

If you buy from somewhere like scan.co.uk they may be able to guarantee you an updated bios.

I know they did this for me many many years ago.
  • Malek86 15 Aug 2019 18:16:36 10,092 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you don't care about power, the worst of the worst is the Athlon 200GE. Should do well enough if you only need to browse the net and watch videos and stuff. It will even work on the lowest-end AM4 board (the A320M-K), assuming the BIOS has been updated. The box should tell you which BIOS version it has.

You could otherwise get a Ryzen 3 2200G for some extra reactivity, but that would be a bit more expensive.

On the other side, the Pentium G5400 should be faster than the Athlon, and while the iGPU is probably (even) slower, I don't think that will matter much to your grandma. And a 1151 motherboard might be even cheaper than the AM4.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:22:06 15-08-2019
  • THFourteen 15 Aug 2019 18:21:55 53,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Depends what sheís doing with it too. I bought a motherboard, 4gb, Haswell i3 4170 combo from eBay for £66 and its running windows 10 fine, and MAME etc. Will be using it in my arcade cabinet.
  • Spectral 15 Aug 2019 18:30:26 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Basically its a facebook, email, youtube, online banking and online shopping machine. The problem is her current PC now take up to a minute just to open a browser. It's getting ridiculous. Plus its on Win 7 so she could do with a new PC and Win 10 for when they stop support for 7 next year.

I just don't have experience with the low end stuff to know what the best value is. The flavour of the day seems to be Ryzen, but theres the whole motherboard issue. Intel are usually pricey for what you actually get aren't they? Also I dont think she'd feel comfortable buying used parts.

Edited by Spectral at 18:32:00 15-08-2019
  • grey_matters 15 Aug 2019 18:37:49 5,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is there a case for just putting in an SSD beside the Athlon 2? They're pretty ok for basic things and the SSD will still be an nice addition.

Edit: I'm still running a Phenom 1055T from the same family. VR capable and most games runs f8ne with just a 480. I mean, I'll enjoy the eventual upgrade but a whole new system for her use cases seems off.

Edited by grey_matters at 18:41:01 15-08-2019
  • Spectral 15 Aug 2019 18:45:48 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Is there a case for just putting in an SSD beside the Athlon 2? They're pretty ok for basic things and the SSD will still be an nice addition.

Edit: I'm still running a Phenom 1055T from the same family. VR capable and most games runs f8ne with just a 480. I mean, I'll enjoy the eventual upgrade but a whole new system for her use cases seems off.
    I thought of that but I'm not sure how well it will run Win 10 even with an SSD. The Athlon II's were a pretty poor chips even at the time, they're not even in the same League as a Phenom II. She also only has iirc 3GB Ram. Then theres backing up her current HDD that will be a pain, the pc literally has 2 sata ports. one for the dvd and one for the hdd, and only USB 2.0. It is an option to try first though. I'll talk it through with her and see if she wants to try that first.

I'm also concerned about it starting to sound like a jet engine when under any kind of load. Since its an old prebuilt I'm not sure if the heatsink is easily removable or not.

I also don't even know if there will be drivers for it on Win, it's pretty ancient.

Edited by Spectral at 20:17:13 15-08-2019
  • Fake_Blood 15 Aug 2019 21:57:24 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should probably look at refurb hp office pcs, I think you can get them below £100.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Aug 2019 22:46:04 23,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You could look at a cheap laptop, the budget models are usually around £250 or so.
  • Fake_Blood 16 Aug 2019 00:02:59 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually now that I read what itís for, online banking, a bit of email and youtube/facebook, maybe you could get her an ipad?
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2019 16:21:35 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    She already has one but prefers to use a PC for stuff like that. I'm going to try just sticking an SSD in this one and see how it goes.

Does anyone know the best place to pick up a cheap Windows 10 key? Do those £10ish ebay ones really work? Don't fancy paying £100 or so for it, if it comes to that I think I'll stick my old 8.1 on there to buy some time.
  • THFourteen 18 Aug 2019 17:10:17 53,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Spectral

£10?!! My last windows 10 ebay key cost £1.20

Bought a couple for various devices, they seem alright.
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2019 17:27:01 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen Ahh, just going off prices I've seen people mention getting them for, I haven't actually looked. Good to know they seem to work ok.

She messaged me earlier and said she'd rather get a new one than mess about with this one. I was thinking last gen Ryzen with integrated graphics as the base, anyone have any thoughts on yay or nay? Was looking at the new ones but while there are low end chips, there are no low end boards.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Aug 2019 17:57:30 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like I said Iíd just get a refurb hp office machine with an i3 or i5 and 8gb of ram, the windows license will even be included because the key is in the bios.

Last gen AMD is fine too but I donít really see why you would bother?
  • Malek86 18 Aug 2019 19:20:47 10,092 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Spectral yeah, mobos are the main reason why I'd go for a Pentium instead. The Intel mobos are generally cheaper than the AMD ones, and while the GPU is worse, it will still deal with any office-level task and videos just fine.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:22:10 18-08-2019
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2019 20:42:36 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well I've been talking to my Gran and because ease of just being able to send the whole thing back if anything goes wrong rather than individual components shes decided she wants a pre built rather than me building it. She's said up to around £500 but that needs to include windows 10 and a monitor (most new pc's dont work with D-Sub apparently).

Anyone got any recommendations on where to buy from? Preferably somewhere with fast turn around as I want it to arrive while I am there and I'll only be there a week or so.
  • Technoishmatt 18 Aug 2019 20:55:55 4,130 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dell desktop with 23 inch monitor, well under budget. Cld maybe upgrade the RAM?

https://deals.dell.com/en-uk/productdetail/2v8k

Free next day delivery even (maybe not if you upgrade the RAM thru dell).
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2019 21:06:35 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Dell desktop with 23 inch monitor, well under budget. Cld maybe upgrade the RAM?

https://deals.dell.com/en-uk/productdetail/2v8k

Free next day delivery even (maybe not if you upgrade the RAM thru dell).
    I might be being blind but I cant see where to upgrade ram on there. I also dont like that there is no option to completely remove the security subscription. It'd also need updating to an ssd. It's an option but I think I'll keep looking.
  • THFourteen 18 Aug 2019 21:16:34 53,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Spectral

Novatech has some options

https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechpronti343.html

Get your own Windows and buy a monitor for £90?

Also check that you canít grt an adaptor for dsub?
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2019 21:20:07 6,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Spectral

Novatech has some options

https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechpronti343.html

Get your own Windows and buy a monitor for £90?

Also check that you canít grt an adaptor for dsub?
    Cheers I'll take a look. Tbh I want to get one with windows pre-installed. Had some family members had bad experiences with the cheap codes not working. PLus again, easier with regards to warranties,etc.

Apparently graphics cards stopped supporting D-Sub a couple of years back even through adaptors. I don't know if that also applies to onboard graphics.

Edited by Spectral at 21:21:35 18-08-2019
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Mar 2020 08:18:51 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OK, this thread seems sort of suitable for this, I have a ten year old printer I've not used for maybe 4 years that's been in the loft since an HP 7100 https://support.hp.com/lt-en/product/hp-officejet-k7100-color-printer-series/3440925/model/3440926 so two questions:

If I get some new cartridges will it still work OK after this time? I expect the old cartridges are still installed.

Presumably I'll be able to get a driver to download for our new Windows 10 family laptop?

Ideally I want to know the answer to these two questions before I stump up £25 for a cartridge.

/is not very computer savvy
  • Dr-Strangelove 26 Mar 2020 10:55:35 2,282 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It will definitely work, printers rarely go out of fashion, even dot matrix.

That page you linked had drivers available for windows 10.

With regards to the cartridges, I'm assuming you've not connected it to your pc, give it a go and run a test print.
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Mar 2020 11:30:31 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dr-Strangelove cool I'll give it a whirl.
  • brokenkey 26 Mar 2020 14:54:09 10,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    OK, this thread seems sort of suitable for this, I have a ten year old printer I've not used for maybe 4 years that's been in the loft since an HP 7100 https://support.hp.com/lt-en/product/hp-officejet-k7100-color-printer-series/3440925/model/3440926 so two questions:

If I get some new cartridges will it still work OK after this time? I expect the old cartridges are still installed.

Presumably I'll be able to get a driver to download for our new Windows 10 family laptop?

Ideally I want to know the answer to these two questions before I stump up £25 for a cartridge.

/is not very computer savvy
    You can buy a new printer with cartridges for £25.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Mar 2020 15:50:09 3,916 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My Canon Printer seems to have went with some form of built in obsolescence where it won't actually set itself ready to print (jsut after fitting new ink of course). Does make me actually consider looking at laser in future if more reliable but with how infrequently we print may not be cost effective. (last time I fiddled randomly until it worked then left it turned on and was fine until we had 1 power cut and back to the old problem)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.