Can someone tell me what Geography, Maths and History are like at A level?

First Previous
  • samryan 2 Sep 2009 23:01:58 30 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm gonna do Chemistry, Biology I'll probably do maths as well and I'm leaning towards doing Geography instead of History

Can I have any info on the courses and your experiences please?
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:03:23
    Geography BORING as fuck.

Chemistry hard as nails if you have a shit teacher.

The rest I didn't do.
  • otto Moderator 2 Sep 2009 23:03:31 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Very very easy.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:10:53
    Chemistry easy at A-level? Have you finally lost your marbles otto? :p
  • TheStylishHobo 2 Sep 2009 23:12:21 3,185 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did A-levels even exist in Otto's day? :D
  • THFourteen 2 Sep 2009 23:12:23 53,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    easier than last year, which were easier than the year before etc etc
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:12:33
    The jump between school and college is greater than the leap from college to uni, in almost all subjects.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:13:18
    History is excellent and will teach you a lot about economics, politics and geography at the same time. It depends what you want at the end of it brother. I loved it, I feel it broadened my horizons immeasurably.
  • Trowel 2 Sep 2009 23:16:05 23,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I found Maths A-level too abstract to be interesting. Chemistry wasn't too bad - HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPSClAr innit.
  • andyc1980 2 Sep 2009 23:21:00 1,621 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    maths a loadof bollocks statistics an x= 9y+ab-xy shit
  • andyc1980 2 Sep 2009 23:21:01 1,621 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
  • andyc1980 2 Sep 2009 23:21:03 1,621 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:22:04
    andyc1980 wrote:
    an x= 9y+ab-xy shit

So Maths then.
  • samryan 2 Sep 2009 23:23:00 30 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do like Maths is probably my favourite subject cause I just think of the questions as little puzzles like sudoku :p

I'm really good at science to I got the highest in my year for GCSE and my teacher in college is really good

I'm equally good at Geo and History but I haven't seen the History teacher whereas the Geo teacher looks good.

So really it's just between History and Geography
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:24:33
    Good for you with the science skills keep it up. Can I ask what it is you want to do post A-Levels and potentially for a career?
  • samryan 2 Sep 2009 23:26:28 30 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got no idea really

My careers man told me to look into medicine but beside that I'm not to sure
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:30:05
    Yeah unfortunately this is both the time it would be most opportune to know what you want to do as a career to make the right choices for later on, yet also the worst time to make up your mind and limit yourself. I know even through uni I was still umming and ahhing about it all. Really just do what you enjoy, if you're doing well in quite a few subjects already you should do alright in whatever you want to do. It's the ones who struggle with certain subjects that should probably be more concerned.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:32:17
    History could be useful for medicine I suppose, I learned a lot about it and the effects of war on medical progress etc, it depends what is in the curriculum now. I wouldn't imagine that geography would be that useful for it. If you can't decide just remember its often better to study things that you are interested it. Make sure you have a good idea of what job you want, as that is the most important thing of all. Sometimes higher education isn't always the best way.

If you could handle the load, physics complements maths and is a science also and would better suit a career in medicine than a humanities subject. You would be hardcore doing math, physics, chemistry and biology.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 23:38:57
    Yeah, I still don't really know what I want to do. I just studied the subjects I was good at or enjoyed to be honest, with the exception of physics which I quickly realised I hated. (I then dropped it after AS)

I did Geography, French and R.E. for A level. Got A's in all three and I'm now going into my second year of Geography at uni. Just do what you enjoy really.
  • samryan 2 Sep 2009 23:44:37 30 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you tell me what's the course like for Geography
  • caligari 2 Sep 2009 23:48:30 17,945 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    samryan wrote:
    Can you tell me what's the course like for Geography

Well - Mrs Dorrell is pretty cool - although she wears those strange 'jam jar' glasses.

Also the room can get pretty hot in the afternoon.
  • Duffking 2 Sep 2009 23:57:43 16,588 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Maths is easy if you're good at maths :/

History is more about being able to write answers well than knowledge a lot of the time. That said it's a step up from GCSE because you have to know more than a vague amount of details about a subject, you need to actually know dates and stuff, at least at A2. The topics cover a smaller amount of time but go into more depth.
  • FrankCannon 3 Sep 2009 00:12:04 66 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Merlinho 3 Sep 2009 00:13:36 5,908 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I found geogpraphy a level really interesting (and quite easy) but then I've always enjoyed geography generally. My A level was 10 years ago, but the syllabus covered plate tectonics, glaciation, a study of different levels of developed countries, a study of urban development, a large project of your choice...

Your best bet to see what the course is like is to find out what exam board you'll be studying and have a look at the syllabus on their website.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Sep 2009 00:17:14 11,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A Level Maths, from what I have heard (never studied it myself) is a BIG step up in difficulty from GCSE Maths, even if you did higher level paper for that. I recall students who did Further Maths at GCSE totally failing A Level Maths.

Chemistry A Level I found bloody difficult, although my teacher was a bit shit.
  • FrankCannon 3 Sep 2009 00:20:02 66 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    .... a 'nere-do-well' gentleman enters the scene ..doo-dee dum de dum dum, ooh what's in here then?.........Oops, sorry about that I seem to have wandered into the wrong thread. Well, please excuse me, I guess I'll be off then. (..scuffles off to another party where there aren't as many nerds).
  • Deleted user 3 September 2009 01:22:03
    About as hard as the "O" level equivalents were.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2009 01:24:09
    Surely you'll have had to have made your decisions by now?
  • Sid-Nice 3 Sep 2009 02:01:10 15,848 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd go for geography over history, just in case you meet a girl and the chemistry is right and after doing biology on her you might have to find your was home.

Let’s face it history is history, yesterday’s news if you ask me.
  • ilmaestro 3 Sep 2009 04:13:53 32,932 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Math and Further Math A-Levels were a cakewalk nearly ten years ago when I took them, heaven knows how simple they must be now.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.