Football autobiographies recommendations?

First Previous
  • Wolves21 23 Sep 2009 15:44:22 33 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wondering if anyone can shed any light on a good footballers autobiography to read? i prefer to read midfielders autobiographies as this is the position i play, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a good read! Some books i have read include, Gerrard, keane, Vinny Jones, Beckham, Rooney and some more.
    i was thinking about getting the Lampard book next but the revies are pretty poor.
    If anyone can recommend any good books i would be grateful.
    Thanks!
  • Deleted user 23 September 2009 15:45:07
    Danny McGrain - In Sunshine or in Shadow.
  • Dougs 23 Sep 2009 15:45:46 95,487 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tony Adams
    Steve Claridge
    Tony Cascarino

In my experience, only go for old pros that actually have something to say. So avoid Seaman's, terribly dull read, and any current footballer imo

Edit: MF? Dunno. Also read Left Foot in the Grave and Left Foot Forward imo
  • Deleted user 23 September 2009 15:46:46
    Not 'auto' but Mel Stein's biography of Gazza is a classic. Bit old now, but probably for the best as it means it doesn't bang on too much about what happened to him after he stopped playing.

Also not quite what you're looking for, but Hunter Davies' Glory Game is the best book ever written about football imo.
  • JuanKerr 23 Sep 2009 15:48:26 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd like to read Ashely Cole's autobiography just to see how much of a cunt he actually is.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2009 15:49:08
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'd like to read Ashely Cole's autobiography just to see how much of a cunt he actually is.

I'd rather just give him the tenner and punch him in the eye.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Sep 2009 15:50:03 33,174 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    David Ginola's is all you need. Purely for the handsome cover.

This however, is the best football book ever.

EDIT: Although kalel might disagree :)
  • deem 23 Sep 2009 15:51:45 31,667 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I had the misfortune to read Beckhams book on holiday once.

It was unbelievable.

Paraphrasing here obviously, but one bit that a remember went something along the lines of this:

'I like Ice cream. My favourite flavour is vanilla - Victoria likes chocolate. Brooklyn isn't old enough to eat ice cream yet'.
  • FairgroundTown 23 Sep 2009 15:56:22 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    deem wrote:

It was unbelievable.

Paraphrasing here obviously, but one bit that a remember went something along the lines of this:

'I like Ice cream. My favourite flavour is vanilla - Victoria likes chocolate. Brooklyn isn't old enough to eat ice cream yet'.
    And that was AFTER the ghost-writer tidied it up!

One of my (male) friends used to ghost-write Victoria Beckham's blog. He knows nothing about fashion or football, so draw from that what conclusions you will!
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 23 Sep 2009 15:57:14 32,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "And then I went out to the seaside and we saw the sea and I was happy but my wife still looks like a dead tree and it was a good day."

I bet there's little danger of him ever doing his kids homework too.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Sep 2009 15:57:33 26,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I want to get Paul Merson's, in fact I will be getting Paul Mersons'!
    I have read BR's it was excellent as was the man of course.
    The period I most like to read about is the 70/80's that's when football was football, men were men rct...Bertie Mee to GG.
  • JuanKerr 23 Sep 2009 15:57:52 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

I'd rather just give him the tenner and punch him in the eye.

I'd pay a lot more than a tenner to be given the opportunity to do that.
  • figgis 23 Sep 2009 15:59:04 7,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ever heard of Robin Friday?

Not an autobiography, part written by an ex member of Oasis, but a really good book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

Edit - Anyone who get's sent off for kicking Mark Lawrenson in the face in his last match and then shits in his kit bag should be applauded.
  • JuanKerr 23 Sep 2009 16:00:35 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    An extract from Ashley Cole's autobiography

“Ash! Are you listening?” said a virtually hyperventilating Jonathan. “I’m here in the office and David Dein is saying they aren’t going to give you £60k a week. They’ve agreed £55k and this is their best and final offer. Are you happy with that?”

When I heard Jonathan (Barnett) repeat the figure of £55k, I nearly swerved off the road. “He is taking the piss, Jonathan!” I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. I suppose it all started to fall apart for me from then on. I’d trusted Mr Dein to push the deal through.

I too would be livid at only being offered 55 grand a week to play football. LIVID I tell you.
  • Dougs 23 Sep 2009 16:03:19 95,487 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    deem wrote:

It was unbelievable.

Sounds like Seaman's. "I went down t'lake fishing. It were reet good. Gazza came too, the mad 'un". "Then we played Spurs. I were ace. Made up for making a tit of meself against Gazza few years back".
  • JuanKerr 23 Sep 2009 16:04:50 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You guys aren't surprised that footballers' autobiographies are mind-crushingly dull are you? Just listen to a TV interview with one of them.
  • Dougs 23 Sep 2009 16:06:21 95,487 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Some are worth reading though. Those that actually have something to say and have experiences to tell. Not bland shite like Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Cole.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2009 16:07:42
    That's why reading things by people like Hunter Davies or Nick Hormby are better.
  • andywilkie35 23 Sep 2009 16:08:27 5,327 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Add Ryan Giggs to that pile - the guy has won absolute bucketloads of trophies and broken records left right and centre, but his autobiography read more like "Manchester United results game by game for the past 15 years."

edit: to Dougs pile that is
  • Blaketown 23 Sep 2009 16:13:12 5,658 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not "auto" but Hand Of God: The Life of Diego Maradona by Jimmy Burns is a bloody good read.
  • JuanKerr 23 Sep 2009 16:13:38 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Some are worth reading though. Those that actually have something to say and have experiences to tell. Not bland shite like Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Cole.

If Gerrard's autobiography is anything like his TV personality, it would be a great cure for insomnia.
  • wobbler147 23 Sep 2009 16:15:32 5,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Paul McGrath.
  • X201 23 Sep 2009 16:17:46 20,720 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The When Saturday Comes book reviews section is your friend.
  • smugla 23 Sep 2009 16:18:10 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: Robin Friday Story (Mainstream Sport) (Paperback)

....Anyone who took a dump in Lawro's kitbag is woth my time
  • DJCopa 23 Sep 2009 16:21:19 2,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    'Provided You Don't Kiss Me - 20 years with Brian Clough' - Excellent read. I've read most of the Biographies/Autobiographies on Clough, but this one stands out - Done by a journalist at Nottingham Evening Post who had access all areas for 20 years. Sheds new light on old stories, and new stories altogether.
  • KingOfSpain 23 Sep 2009 16:37:39 5,309 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know Tony Adam's bio has already been mentioned but I just wanted to give it my +1. Great read!
  • figgis 23 Sep 2009 16:42:55 7,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you are a wolves fan this might be worth a read when it comes out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Knowles-Footballer-Steve-Gordos/dp/1859837204
  • ERG1008 23 Sep 2009 16:50:24 816 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

This however, is the best football book ever.

I agree, this is a fantastic book.
    Also, as DJCopa said, Provided You Don't Kiss Me is a very good read too.
  • StringBeanJean 23 Sep 2009 16:55:09 1,788 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Most are shite, I agree, but Keano's one was pretty interesting at the time.

Edit: Oh I see you've read it
  • Ivefoundgod 23 Sep 2009 17:02:32 564 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Only A Game - Eamonn Dunphy. Great read about life as an average footballer playing for an average team. Even if you don't like the man, he's not like he his today, it's a book about one season at Millwall.

A Season With Verona - Not an auto but a great read, can read a bit like a travel book at times but it is excellent.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.