If the Conservatives gave us a referendum on EU membership... Page 2

• Pirotic Moderator 4 Nov 2009 10:57:38 20,642 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Who wouldn't want to be ruled by an unelected President Blair?

Is it too late to change my vote. :(

Don't worry, Otto is going to set off the fire alarm on ballot day and rig it in his favor.
  • Hunam 4 Nov 2009 10:58:45 20,673 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think we should just use what ever clout we have to make the whole system better and more fair or just threaten to leave.

I'm not the most europe savvy, but their expenses and use of unelected officials is not my cup of tea. Seems like they piss away more money than we do currently.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 11:00:24
    Did I read yesterday that Cameron intends to pass legislation which will mean holding a referendum for every single directive before it can be implemented into uk law. I fucking hope I never as that is probably the stupidest thing I've read in a while.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2009 11:03:06 22,568 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Stop in, certainly. It's a shame the country seems to have taken such a flagwaving, Eurosceptic lurch recently - not least because now would be a very good time to join the single currency.

Didn't you hear? Gordon Brown saved the world because we are not dictated to by the evil scheming brussenaliens. Long Live the Might Gordon of Browningham!
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 11:03:07
    mowgli wrote:
    Did I read yesterday that Cameron intends to pass legislation which will mean holding a referendum for every single directive before it can be implemented into uk law. I fucking hope I never as that is probably the stupidest thing I've read in a while.
    How very European of him!

It'll certainly be fun when they can't ever get a directive implemented due to an apathetic public just voting no for everything.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2009 11:04:11 22,568 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Hunam 4 Nov 2009 11:04:54 20,673 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think we should just join up with americaland. Fuck this europe shit, I want guns.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Nov 2009 11:11:36 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course we should stay, the benefits of the common market (not that it'll be called that for long) are too important to lose them. And yes we could leave at anytime, just need to repeal the European Communities Act.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 11:20:27
    I'm sure people's opinions to the EU in general would be more positive if they made it a little more transparent as to where exactly our (I say 'our', I mean every country in the EU's) money is being spent. For some reason no-one seems willing to look into this.

It's almost , as if you'd get arrested if you, say investigated potential corruption.

But that sort of thing only happens in Russia and China, right?
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 11:40:57
    The EU certainly isn't perfect, I know of someone who had to quit their job due to being unable to deal with a lot of corruption or summat. It'd be nice if pro-EU people made their case publically a bit more, as going by the media and popular opinion, the EU is the devil.

I also heard Cameron, a while back, suggesting people could text in their suggestions for laws/amendments etc. I love democracy, but I think most people are idiots when it comes to politics. Soz.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Nov 2009 12:09:25 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah they really need to be more transparent, especially with making clear just what each treaty actually does.
  • Retroid Moderator 4 Nov 2009 12:55:58 45,463 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Stay.

Who wouldn't want to be ruled by an unelected President Blair?
    I like how you're presuming he'd 'rule' in any recognisable sense.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2009 13:09:37 15,001 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If someone can explain what real difference there is between voting yay or nay, then maybe I could be bothered.
  • BabyJesus 4 Nov 2009 13:19:01 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The president of the EU will mostly be a guy relaying what all the other leaders in Europes consensus is and be practically useless it's just one figure they will use to represent the whole of Europe when negotiating/deciding on stuff which will actually probably give us abit more weight in the global spectrum because it won't be just lil old blighty it'll be a whole continent.

He'll be a puppet, except this time Alistair Campbell won't be pulling the strings.

That is unless the comeback king makes another comeback.
  • glaeken 4 Nov 2009 13:22:07 12,026 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I am actually hoping Blair does get the European presidency thing. This it not because I actually support him but because I know quite a few people who seem to think he is the devil incarnate and I am looking forward to their reaction to Blair getting the job.
  • chopsen 4 Nov 2009 13:37:50 20,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't want Tony Blair to be president because I think he'd quite like it, and I think he's shit and don't want him to be happy. I can dress it up with some retrofitted geopolitical bollocks, but that is what it boils down to if I'm honest.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Nov 2009 13:54:47 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think he has the support to be President, myself. Which is good.
  • oceanmotion 4 Nov 2009 13:54:50 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Don't have a clue what it's all about apart from the President thing but I kinda like the idea of United States of Europe super collective. Maybe the Euro money, would that ever happen in the UK ?
  • BabyJesus 4 Nov 2009 14:02:12 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I don't think he has the support to be President, myself. Which is good.

He doesn't because its only America that seems to be infatuated with him. Europe is quite pissed off with him to be honest.

But they may use him because he is a recognisable face thats Mr Chum with the yanks and is a known figure in world politics.

@WooHoo Doubt it, although if the pound spirals down more there might be a call for it but the backlash from the tabloids would stop any of that in its tracks.
  • chopsen 4 Nov 2009 14:03:53 20,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Didn't Sarkozy and Merkel (?sp) come out in support of him?

/hasn't been paying attention much recently
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Nov 2009 14:05:50 32,224 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it's more the smaller countries that don't want him as they think theyir opinions will get drowned out. I think a lot of the main member states are quite pro-Blair.
  • BabyJesus 4 Nov 2009 14:07:37 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Didn't Sarkozy and Merkel (?sp) come out in support of him?

/hasn't been paying attention much recently

Sortof.

Gordon Brown was going to put his case forward but the support completely disappeared apparently before he got the chance.

It's still an ongoing thing, so anything could really happen, but I can't really see them appointing anyone else because sadly he is the most well known with the best connections to the Americans.
  • BabyJesus 4 Nov 2009 14:09:46 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sarkozy will always back Blair though, he is the french version of Blair minus the ugly wife.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Nov 2009 14:10:44 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Sarkozy and Merkel have been getting a little cautious as of late. Sarkozy was talking about Britain not taking on the Euro as if it meant we weren't really committed, and Merkel said something about wanting more of an administrator-role rather than a political one. Although how you could avoid that being President I'm not sure.
  • Popzeus 4 Nov 2009 14:15:37 8,425 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    Stop in, certainly. It's a shame the country seems to have taken such a flagwaving, Eurosceptic lurch recently - not least because now would be a very good time to join the single currency.
    "Recently"? O_o
    I'm sure it's got worse in the last decade or so.

Or maybe I've just lost my rose tinted specs now I'm old and jaded :)
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 14:19:14
    being Irish I want Ireland to be in the EU, living in England I want the UK to be in the EU

BUT

the EU is just as bent and crooked as any one of our governments and far better at hiding it's corruption, when it's corruption is found out there seems very little the people of europe can do about it

i dont like an unelected body having so much say over the affairs of europe and i do dont like the idea of EU President Tony Blair
  • Khanivor 4 Nov 2009 14:47:27 44,026 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The EU is like the mob; sure they may stop people from smashing your store up but you've given control of your affairs over to a bunch of arrogant, unaccountable tossers.

What I don't get is why people who are normally so tired and distraught over the current way of politics are seemingly so happy to throw away a chance of setting a good foundation at the start of a new political entity and let it be 'run' just as piss-poorly as the old systems. That's one huge opportunity lost folks. I mean, when was the last time any people had a new system of government that was born not out of war or mashing old ones together, but was built from the ground up?
  • chopsen 4 Nov 2009 14:52:54 20,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Problem is there is nobody, anywhere, running on the "how" ticket, only "yes" and "no".
  • Khanivor 4 Nov 2009 15:39:57 44,026 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well then vote no, because yes is only going to solidify - and in this case codify - the how :(
  • Deleted user 4 November 2009 15:52:51
    I think the EU should be dismantled, re-thought out, and re-built from the ground up.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.