2nd year of uni too hard. What to do?

First Previous
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 16:28:07 1,896 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really panicking about this 2000 word essay that I've got due in on Tuesday. The 2nd year is so much harder than the 1st and the majority of stuff has gone over my head - I read a book and I don't understand it - I've written nothing yet. Does anyone else in their 2nd year of uni feel this way? I'm starting to wonder if it's for me.

What kind of job can someone get with 2 decent A level grades and a few shit ones get? Shelf stacking? :'(
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:29:38
    What sort of degree are you doing?
  • Goban 5 Nov 2009 16:29:52 9,980 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Maybe the course isn't for you, can t transfer into something else?
  • Stickman 5 Nov 2009 16:29:52 29,986 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can get many, many jobs. Expect to start on around 15k a year I'd say.
  • jonsaan 5 Nov 2009 16:30:57 27,005 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get your head down and man the fuck up. You'll be working a long time. Stay at Uni.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 5 Nov 2009 16:32:04 14,104 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2000 words is not even 4 pages. If you know what you are writing about you can do that in a day. :)
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Nov 2009 16:32:36 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2000 words is fuck-all. Do some research and bung a load of quotes in there, lecturers love (correctly referenced) quotes and they can take up lots words. Once you've done the research it'll only take a few hours to type up even if you're slow.
  • askew 5 Nov 2009 16:33:21 19,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks - say 300 words each? If you know what you want to say in that paragraph or two, and can type reasonable quickly, it will take about five minutes.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:33:40
    2000 is not much really. What is the subject of the degree?

PearOfAnguish wrote:
    2000 words is fuck-all. Do some research and bung a load of quotes in there, lecturers love (correctly referenced) quotes and they can take up lots words. Once you've done the research it'll only take a few hours to type up even if you're slow.

I hate essays with loads of quotes, makes the writer look like a idiot who can't even paraphrase. Far better to put it into your own words with a footnote referencing the author. Shows you understand the material and doesn't interrupt the flow.
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 16:34:33 1,896 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    2000 words is not even 4 pages. If you know what you are writing about you can do that in a day. :)
    I know. But as per the OP, I don't get what I'm writing about. The subject's philosophy by the way. Metaphysics.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:34:42
    The second year of uni is where you are actually meant to do the work. Don't be so damn lazy! 2000 words is nothing, it might look a lot if you've never done it but you'll find yourself writing 3000+ in no time, just pick up a pen and start. It's the hardest part.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Nov 2009 16:34:48 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can also try summarising the important points. Make a big list and then simply expand on each one and add sentences to string it all together.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:35:16
    Oh, and I've found that a sodding 15,000 word essay is a hell of a lot easier than a fucking 500 word cover letter, so I say stick with Uni.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:36:07
    SG wrote:
    Syrok wrote:
    I know. But as per the OP, I don't get what I'm writing about. The subject's philosophy by the way. Metaphysics.
    If' it's metaphysics then 80% of your essay will be quotes (strict and non strict) so don't worry too much. There isn't much of your own thinking you can put into a second year meta physics essay.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:36:29
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Oh, and I've found that a sodding 15,000 word essay is a hell of a lot easier than a fucking 500 word cover letter, so I say stick with Uni.
    Yeah, this!
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:37:18
    SG, if the books you are meant to read aren't helping find some simpler ones first! There are 'basic guides' to almost everything now.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:37:22
    2nd years was a massive shock to the system for me, I actually had to work every day rather than the once a week in 1st year!

Keep at it though, you'll adjust in time.
  • heyyo 5 Nov 2009 16:38:17 14,356 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Read different books, if you can't do it still then just scrape a pass and hope you find the rest of the modules easier - or else just scrape through those as the 2nd year doesn't really count towards your classification.

Or do what I did, toward the end of my 2nd year doing a mathematics degree (really struggling come May exams, wondered how the fuck i'll even scrape a pass in final year modules) combined my degree with another subject - psychology - and now i'm on relatively easy street no more maths to do, however, 1.5 more years of psychology left.
  • SirScratchalot 5 Nov 2009 16:38:36 7,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Second year is pretty make or break, this is where you have to put in a massive time investment until things 'click'. It'll get easier as you go along, really, and you learn ways to study.

My only functional one for absorbing large amounts of stuff was to summarize on the side as I read, then summarize the summaries until I had a few pages of essentially keywords with short descriptors, with arrows between them to describe their internal relationship.
    Granted this will change with any particular subject, but for me the summary is the only way to retain a several hundred page book.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:40:20
    Is this essay supposed to be on primary sources (actual philosophers) or secondary ones?
  • FWB 5 Nov 2009 16:40:36 56,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You're struggling with a subject whose cornerstone is bullshitting?
  • Aranel 5 Nov 2009 16:40:46 669 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you really aren't enjoying it and you don't think it's just a passing stage because you don't want to do this particular essay, can you switch courses?

If you do drop out, it isn't the end of the world - you can do an OU degree whilst working (and you won't have to do the first year as they will let you transfer credits).

Personally, I would say stick with it if you can though! (even though I quit after my first year and have no regrets ;) )
  • asphaltcowboy 5 Nov 2009 16:41:35 5,156 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SG wrote:
    2nd year of uni too hard. What to do?
    Given this, I can't say I'm surprised unfortunately!
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:42:41
    the army could always do with some more fodder in the middle east i guess

or you could man the fuck up
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.