• warlockuk 5 Nov 2009 16:45:48 19,489 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you are shit you must-a quit.
  • SirScratchalot 5 Nov 2009 16:45:54 7,908 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, philosophy! ;)
    I got nothing, except watching the person trying to teach our bio-ethics course try to get a room of biochemist students to rise to some ethical questions was quite a lot of fun. People would often start the debating the best way to collect data and start a scientific study on the subject rather than the subject itself.

"What truly is happiness?"
    "Maybe we could correlate that with dopamine levels in a self described happy and unhappy test group?"
    etc....
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:47:26
    Smuggo wrote:
    Perhaps you could just wank all over a bit of paper and hand that in?
    You're confusing Philosophy with Fine Art there.
  • Xerx3s 5 Nov 2009 16:48:53 23,951 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    2000 words is fuck-all. Do some research and bung a load of quotes in there, lecturers love (correctly referenced) quotes and they can take up lots words. Once you've done the research it'll only take a few hours to type up even if you're slow.

It can be depending on who reviews it, some people are bitches that will more or less tear anything you write to pieces.
  • agparrot 5 Nov 2009 16:49:24 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is the reason there are not Dummies and Idiot Guides for Metaphysics because it is so simple that even they don't need a book to outline it?

Discuss.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 16:54:48
    Anyone here "know someone who knew someone who was studying philosophy and aced the exam by writing one sentence"?

Yeah, cause that's true.
  • FWB 5 Nov 2009 16:56:05 55,583 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep. The legend I heard was: Question: "What is risk?" Answer: "This is risk". Was told that story by a twat.
  • TheStylishHobo 5 Nov 2009 16:57:03 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    2000 words is fuck-all. Do some research and bung a load of quotes in there, lecturers love (correctly referenced) quotes and they can take up lots words. Once you've done the research it'll only take a few hours to type up even if you're slow.

It can be depending on who reviews it, some people are bitches that will more or less tear anything you write to pieces.

Ah the old, "it's not my fault, the teacher hates me" one :]
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:06:12
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

Ah the old, "it's not my fault, the teacher hates me" one :]

I once had a piece of work handed back with a tonne of comments mainly along the lines of "Where's the reference?" "What does this mean?" and a low mark.

Weirdly, every time he commented on something the answer was never more than ONE WHOLE LINE away...that's /every/ time. I even complained to the board about how poor it was (upheld).

To be fair he was pretty obviously an idiot during lectures, but it doesn't half rankle when a supposed lecturer skim-reads when they mark.

/changed Uni mid-course
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 5 Nov 2009 17:06:47 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quit.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:06:48
    Zing! Why not become a financial journalist? Do you even need a degree for that Smuggo?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:08:09
    What's your degree in?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:08:36
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Better to zing him after you've actually got that job mowgli.
    What?
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 17:09:06 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    By the way the questions is:

Aristotle's Metaphysics establishes the 'categories of Being qua Being'. What differentiates the first category - substance - from the others?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:12:10
    SG wrote:
    I'm really panicking about this 2000 word essay that I've got due in on Tuesday. The 2nd year is so much harder than the 1st and the majority of stuff has gone over my head - I read a book and I don't understand it - I've written nothing yet. Does anyone else in their 2nd year of uni feel this way? I'm starting to wonder if it's for me.

What kind of job can someone get with 2 decent A level grades and a few shit ones get? Shelf stacking? :'(
    Your problem is you've left it until the last minute. Perhaps if you talked to a tutor about this when the essay was first set they could have helped you.

Although I can't talk as I was absolutely hopeless as uni. But trust me, if I was there again and in your situation, I'd definitely sit down and talk to a tutor - they may be able to help.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:12:58
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Better to zing him after you've actually got that job mowgli.
    What?
    Getting into uni is the easy part my man.
    I don't see what that has to do with this though. He was ripping the piss out of me.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:13:17
    SG wrote:

Aristotle's Metaphysics establishes the 'categories of Being qua Being'? What differentiates the first category - substance - from the others.

That doesn't actually sound too difficult. Obviously read the relevant part in Aristotle, jot down some thoughts, then read some secondary material, commentaries and such. I assume you have access to a decent library, try the classics as well as the philosophy section.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:13:23
    Smuggo wrote:
    History
    Good degree, where'd you do it?
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Nov 2009 17:14:22 32,564 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Truthfully, if you're not enjoying it much now, it's only going to get worse. It's not that high a word count, a couple of pages or so really. Just break it down into sections. Explain what the categories are, then explain how the first one is different to the rest. There must be a tonne of stuff written down on the subject, I doubt it's some niche topic or anything.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the hell that question means, or what the fuck metaphyiscs actually is! But it's all about the breaking down of the question.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:14:48
    SG wrote:

Aristotle's Metaphysics establishes the 'categories of Being qua Being'. What differentiates the first category - substance - from the others?
    Just spend 500 words defining the categories, 500 talking about the first category in depth, another 500 linking the others together, final 500 to compare and contrast the first with the others. Sprinkle with quotes and references.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.