Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    History
    Good degree, where'd you do it?

University of Kent, Canterbury.

What's your mother's maiden name and date of birth?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:28:06
    And the name of your first pet if you don't mind :)
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:29:22
    Lol

Smuggo
  • agparrot 5 Nov 2009 17:33:49 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    SG wrote:
    By the way the questions is:

Aristotle's Metaphysics establishes the 'categories of Being qua Being'. What differentiates the first category - substance - from the others?
    Just spend 500 words defining the categories, 500 talking about the first category in depth, another 500 linking the others together, final 500 to compare and contrast the first with the others. Sprinkle with quotes and references.

I haven't done any of SG's course, but I'm fairly sure that even I could cobble together a 2000 word essay on that basis in time for Tuesday - In fact, for £100, I probably would!
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:35:57
    bidding war!
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:38:05
    disussedgenius wrote:
    SG wrote:

Aristotle's Metaphysics establishes the 'categories of Being qua Being'. What differentiates the first category - substance - from the others?
    Just spend 500 words defining the categories, 500 talking about the first category in depth, another 500 linking the others together, final 500 to compare and contrast the first with the others. Sprinkle with quotes and references.

Thing I liked about my philosophy degree (didn't do much Aristotlean metaphysics, asides from the roots of the substance theory of ontology) was that you could essentially play it by regurgitation (although, of course, understanding is hard enough at times).

Definition - Substance - Comparison is probably a good structure. Just go to the library, nab a load of/on books of Aristotle, and synthesise the stuff in them. From what I understand, substance is an ontological term. Causation et al are not. Go from there?

I didn't find any one year harder than the previous - or rather, they were no more challenging, as I felt myself developing all the time. First year was a waste, of course.
  • agparrot 5 Nov 2009 17:41:01 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    SG wrote:

Thing I liked about my philosophy degree (didn't do much Aristotlean metaphysics, asides from the roots of the substance theory of ontology) was that you could essentially play it by regurgitation (although, of course, understanding is hard enough at times).

Definition - Substance - Comparison is probably a good structure. Just go to the library, nab a load of/on books of Aristotle, and synthesise the stuff in them.

I didn't find any one year harder than the previous - or rather, they were no more challenging, as I felt myself developing all the time. First year was a waste, of course.

Having said all that, if SG really can't get on with it, despite the suggestions of appproach and useful advice that runs alongside the vein of humour in this thread, then maybe the course just isn't for him?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:41:32
    Fo'sho. That's what he has to ask himself. Maybe write a 2000 word essay on it...
  • Khanivor 5 Nov 2009 17:43:21 43,953 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye, sounds like they are looking for some regurgitated shit. Shame you don't know the favoured pontificators of your tutor as you could gain a few points from ego stroking.

Get yer arse to the library, or even go to the net. Find the definitions you need, sling up some words around them and bang out the essay. You don't have to score perfectly, something is better than nothing, and if you write a load of crap then when you get the essay back you'll have all sorts of notes from the tutor as to how to d a better job the next time.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:46:33
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Pfft! I just did Fine Art for my BA and 3D for the MA so don't really know what he's going on about either! But an essay is an essay whatever the subject...
  • PrivateFloyd 5 Nov 2009 17:47:32 5,185 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SG wrote:

What kind of job can someone get with 2 decent A level grades and a few shit ones get? Shelf stacking? :'(

Good Logic.

The only work people who didn't go to uni can get is "shelf stacking"?

Guess i might as well ditch my well paid job that i love and go apply to TNT et al!!!
  • agparrot 5 Nov 2009 17:50:26 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This stuff is actually quite interesting. This fellow gives a pretty good outline of just the sort of thing you are looking at.

"But ‘being’, as Aristotle tells us in Γ.2, is “said in many ways”. That is, the verb ‘to be’ (einai) has different senses, as do its cognates ‘being’ (on) and ‘entities’ (onta). So the universal science of being qua being appears to founder on an equivocation: how can there be a single science of being when the very term ‘being’ is ambiguous?"

I love that kind of stuff.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Nov 2009 17:52:08 32,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Urg, I'm glad somebody does! I'm sick of legal reasoning, and formulism, and positivism, and all the boring philosophy stuff we have to learn at uni in Jurisprudence. The only interesting part was learning about someone called Jeremy Bentham :)
  • agparrot 5 Nov 2009 17:55:44 11,901 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Urg, I'm glad somebody does! I'm sick of legal reasoning, and formulism, and positivism, and all the boring philosophy stuff we have to learn at uni in Jurisprudence. The only interesting part was learning about someone called Jeremy Bentham :)

Don't get me wrong, it is interesting, probably from the point of view of somebody who isn't forced to write essays about it... I'm not about to rush off and sign myself up for a degree in it, unless there is some way I can fit it around playing games all the time. Some form of reality/gaming academic study perhaps, where I submerge myself in the quasi-reality of the artificial worlds created by other people, and then once every couple of months, write a short precis comparing this to my experience of digesting the real world, perhaps having forced myself to only experience the real world outside of my own bungalow via the medium of Eurogamer, and maybe a subscription to the Daily Mail.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:56:14
    Do you have your copy of Lloyd's Introduction to Jurisprudence? Fucking massive.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:57:00
    Philosophy is like everything very human: great and nauseating. I'd not like to study law because it would be for something, and not for the thing itself, if you see what I mean. Lots of my science/psych friends said they hated the ethics sections of their courses - when ethics is of course very interesting. Just not when it's formalised into processes! The problem comes, as parrot's quote shows, when language gets involved. Wittgenstein thought it were all pointless, once he'd argued that! Or something.

Dgenius - of course. I was simply saying philosophy doesn't seem to expect originality or great strides from you, at least for a long time, if ever.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 17:57:12
    agparrot wrote:
    This stuff is actually quite interesting. This fellow gives a pretty good outline of just the sort of thing you are looking at.

"But ‘being’, as Aristotle tells us in Γ.2, is “said in many ways”. That is, the verb ‘to be’ (einai) has different senses, as do its cognates ‘being’ (on) and ‘entities’ (onta). So the universal science of being qua being appears to founder on an equivocation: how can there be a single science of being when the very term ‘being’ is ambiguous?"

Sounds like a wanker to me
  • chopsen 5 Nov 2009 17:58:59 20,421 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just quote Wittgenstein when he said there's no such thing as philosophical problems, just puzzles arising from our use of language, or whatever he said. And then punch you tutor in the face.

That'll work.

edit: bollocks, RedSparrows beat me. But I did add the senseless violence so my post is better.
  • Khanivor 5 Nov 2009 18:02:04 43,953 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @OP - Is philosophy what you're degree is going to be in, or was it just a course you thought would be interesting to get some credit for?
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 18:12:01 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    SG wrote:

I haven't done any of SG's course, but I'm fairly sure that even I could cobble together a 2000 word essay on that basis in time for Tuesday - In fact, for £100, I probably would!
    That's what I've been doing, just reading - no time to get books though. Google Books it is, and referencing online sites.

If I DID want to cheat, there's always this place: http://www.customwritings.com/pricing.html
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 18:12:49
    Don't be stupid. If you are cheating on a second year philosophy essay you really shouldn't be at uni.
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 18:13:03 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

Um... I'm actually reading that one anyway. The place is a great resource.
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 18:13:49 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Don't be stupid. If you are cheating on a second year philosophy essay you really shouldn't be at uni.
    I said IF. And that's exactly my logic. If I pass, I want to pass on my own fucking merit. Plus I'll learn in the process.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 18:16:37
    Yeah I know, I'm just saying don't even think about it! Trust me, just start writing in small chunks your own thoughts on what you are reading (start with the most basic of texts) and you will have an essay in no time.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 18:16:47
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; You know, I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

- Woody Allen; Annie Hall
  • SG 5 Nov 2009 18:17:10 1,896 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    @ OP - Is philosophy what you're degree is going to be in, or was it just a course you thought would be interesting to get some credit for?
    I did it at A level and loved it. Also read a fair old bit outside. Love Wittgenstein but can't get my head around it. Guess that's what the £3225 a year is for - to be taught; not told to fuck off and read a book. I read less now than I think I did out of uni (it was more enjoyable!)

PrivateFloyd wrote:
    SG wrote:

What kind of job can someone get with 2 decent A level grades and a few shit ones get? Shelf stacking? :'(

Good Logic.

The only work people who didn't go to uni can get is "shelf stacking"?

Guess i might as well ditch my well paid job that i love and go apply to TNT et al!!!
    Please elaborate.
  • Dirtbox 5 Nov 2009 18:19:00 90,970 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 5 November 2009 18:19:23
    Does it really need elaborating? You don't need a degree to get a decent job.
  • Khanivor 5 Nov 2009 18:22:40 43,953 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you're not getting your head around it then I'd change your degree pronto, as the next year or two will be no fun, and you'll find yourself with a degree you have zero interest in pursuing as a career.

As it seems likely you're doing the degree because you thought doing an arts degree in something you enjoyed previously would be a good route through university you should find something you can tolerate which has a potential job at the end of it. Don't go to uni to learn about something you love, because, in my experience at least, it will put you right the fuck off it for years to come.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.