So... I just tried to return Modern Warfare 2 to Sainburys

First Previous
  • JohnnyWashnGo 11 Nov 2009 22:21:59 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My brother and I had planned a game of gaming together today. We don't see each other much so I decided to get some good stuff to play like Demons Souls, Ninja Gaiden and even purchased a cheapo MW2 from sainsburys on monday. He loved Demons souls (who wouldn't?) and NG, but MW2 hit a bum note with us. Too gung-ho and realistic to be enjoyable, so much so that I decided I didn't want it in my collection. So I popped back to sainsburys to return it for a refund.

I suppose I have known what to expect when returning a game to a supermarket but it turns out that they do not accept returns of opened games, only sealed ones.

They asked me why I wanted to return it, so I told them that after playing it for 30 minutes or so, decided that it wasn't for me. Thats not a good enough reason it seems.

I told them that I found some of the content to be morally ambiguous and that it was, from what I saw, far too pro-war without there being enough in the way of explaining the reasons for a conflict or the consequences of such action, but they told me that the box states clearly that it contains strong bloody violence so I was out of luck. My reply was that I had played more than enough games in my time that contain strong bloody violence, none of which disgusted me in the same this this game did. Still no luck.

So I tried to explain that the control system was broken for me - I couldn't find a way to invert the x-axis whilst playing the game, which means I just cannot control the damn thing, once again... no luck.

They even told me that they had sold 500 copies on monday and I was the only person to ask for a refund, like that was some kind of reason for not giving me my money back.

It kinda worries me that the game sold so many copies... is that really the type of game that people are asking for?

Anyway, is there a way that I can get my money back or do I have to give this thing away.
  • FWB 11 Nov 2009 22:24:14 56,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How did you not know what to expect from the game?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:25:02
    You take it to any game selling store that does second hand sales. Wait a week and you may make a profit.

I can't argue with any of their reasoning - not liking it is not a good enough reason and the content is identified on the box.
  • steoc4 11 Nov 2009 22:26:26 1,668 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think 'I didn't like it' is a valid reason for a return, although most shops would allow it as a matter of goodwill. I bet if you keep trying with different members of staff though you'd get it refunded. Or alternatively try a different shop and say you lost your receipt - be willing to accept a credit note rather than your money back.

Or, given it was so cheap in Sainsburys to begin with, you'd probably make a profit sticking it on ebay.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:26:30
    I'll buy it off you if you don't want it :p
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:27:48
    You're not entitled to a refund just because you don't like the product. As steoc said, shops sometimes do it as a matter of goodwill, but it's not a legal right.
  • Stickman 11 Nov 2009 22:29:10 29,986 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    Modern Warfare 2

"far too pro-war"

:D
  • Metalfish 11 Nov 2009 22:29:14 9,191 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, whilst I have little sympathy for your objections to the game as there were warnings on the box, I will be pointing out you can probably get at least 26 quid for it in CEX or Game or something. Profit.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 11 Nov 2009 22:29:25 8,068 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    exactly

caveat emptor

you don't have leg to stand on
  • JohnnyWashnGo 11 Nov 2009 22:29:32 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FWB wrote:

I knew what to expect... to a degree. One of my favourite games in MGS4 which has a large chunk of its game set in a middle east battlefield which I found fine. I suppose the fact that the protagonist in that game displayed some depth of emotion about his role in the fighting made it more palatable.

My main issue with MW2 was the OTT attitude toward war.

Still, you learn something everyday. Next time I will wait for a demo before making a purchase.

Still, you think they could have let you invert the x-axis to at least make it playable... or did I miss that option?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:29:44
    Christ, just apply some more eye liner and tell the world you think the Beatles were overrated.

Oh and pro-war-lol.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:30:29
    31 cash from CEX.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 11 Nov 2009 22:30:48 8,068 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    also stop being such a fucking wuss
  • Peew971 11 Nov 2009 22:31:31 7,257 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    ^^ This.

Anyway, put it on ebay or the swapsies thread. You could even make a profit :)
  • FWB 11 Nov 2009 22:31:36 56,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Invert the x-axis? Why would you want to do that?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:32:31
    Threaten to buy 25 more copies out of protest, which will then probably be a 50 or so net loss for them.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:33:45
    Probably 100.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:37:37
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    I suppose the fact that the protagonist in that game displayed some depth of emotion about his role in the fighting made it more palatable.

Ugh. It's a fucking game for christ-sake not a production of Shakespeare.

Games aren't art and never will be and i hope that fact bugs the shit out of you.
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2009 22:37:53 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Something makes me think that the OP is a joke post... or maybe it's something making me hope it is.
  • FWB 11 Nov 2009 22:40:04 56,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    I suppose the fact that the protagonist in that game displayed some depth of emotion about his role in the fighting made it more palatable.

Ugh. It's a fucking game for christ-sake not a production of Shakespeare.

Games aren't art and never will be and i hope that fact bugs the shit out of you.

Disagree. They can be. And storylines/characters can be pretty important. I've stopped playing GTA IV because I really don't care about the storyline. Wish I could.

That said, can't see how it matters in MW2.
  • FooAtari 11 Nov 2009 22:42:12 3,955 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Christ, just apply some more eye liner and tell the world you think the Beatles were overrated.

Not the first time I've seen a post like this from you. What's your problem with people saying they don't like it? We all like different things, you know...
  • meggsy 11 Nov 2009 22:46:20 1,627 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He bought it on monday? Woah, sainsbury's jumped the gun there...or maybe the brutally immersive reality of MW2 warped his perception of time itself?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2009 22:47:59
    FooAtari wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Not the first time I've seen a post like this from you. What's your problem with people saying they don't like it? We all like different things, you know...
    I have absolutely no problem with people not liking it, why would I? It just irks me when people love to wear this fact as a badge. I mean do we really need another "I'm not interested in this new and incredibly popular game - you can touch me for a pound" thread. I think the complaints (which are usually valid) should be expressed in the main thread.
  • ChocNut 11 Nov 2009 22:49:00 2,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Do you mean invert the Y axis? My game asked me if I wanted to invert during the first training mission.

Still, considering how quickly you returned it I think they could have been a little accomdating. Had a similar experience with GTA San Andreas years back. Couldn't even trade it in because they didn't have the preowned details in their register.
  • JuanKerr 11 Nov 2009 22:58:05 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone moaning about a highly rated game and people moaning about the moaning. Brilliant thread, this.
  • meggsy 11 Nov 2009 23:01:15 1,627 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "I really found the content of the game sickening and made me feel disgusted...I'd like a refund"

"I'm sorry sir, but the themes and content are clearly marked out on the packaging."

"Well...also the controls weren't good so I couldn't experience more instances that were sickening and made me feel disgusted!"

"Um..."
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.