Nintendo DS is going suck ass Page 2

  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:15:40
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Andrew you have been off of ignore for well over half a year.

    Wooo! so why didn't you respond to my comments about your blasting Nintendo on the 'Bill Gates still trying to buy Nintendo' article of recent weeks? You're doing it again, goin on about companies with no future etc... but it's all speculation based upon some divine insights that you have that nobody else does.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 18:17:27 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ok, who the fuck has the talent to use peripheral vision successfully while PLAYING VIDEO GAMES?

    If I am to assume that some of you have the miraculous ability to be able to see clearly two places at once then you are surely a multiplayer Halo God, as you can look at your screen and your opponents at the exact same time. With no blur. Amazing. I didn't know Eurogamer was stocked full of genetically enhanced superhumans.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:18:19
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Ok, who the fuck has the talent to use peripheral vision successfully while PLAYING VIDEO GAMES?

    If I am to assume that some of you have the miraculous ability to be able to see clearly two places at once then you are surely a multiplayer Halo God, as you can look at your screen and your opponents at the exact same time. With no blur. Amazing. I didn't know Eurogamer was stocked full of genetically enhanced superhumans.

    So do you only look down the barrel of your gun, and not at your surroundings to see things moving that you then focus on?
  • AnotherMartin 13 Aug 2004 18:19:50 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    "Ok, so make the touch screen one big touch sensitive button."

    What? Why? Why not just make the "A" button change the images on the screen. Kinda like.. every other handheld ever created.

    If you hadn't gueesed, I was taking this piss out of you.

    I was trying to give you an example of how the touch screen can be utilized as an extra button(s), inthis case one big one so that you can switch between the images on the main screen, which is waht you seem to want so much.

    This time let's split the screen into four. The bottom right corner being you magic 'switch screen' button, which you can stab at with your right thumb. And the other three, well I don;t know, can you handle all these extra buttons? Or would it be too much for you to deal with?
  • Singularity 13 Aug 2004 18:20:19 3,259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • AnotherMartin 13 Aug 2004 18:22:54 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    andrewfromdoncaster wrote:
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Andrew you have been off of ignore for well over half a year.

    Wooo! so why didn't you respond to my comments about your blasting Nintendo on the 'Bill Gates still trying to buy Nintendo' article of recent weeks? You're doing it again, goin on about companies with no future etc... but it's all speculation based upon some divine insights that you have that nobody else does.

    Don't worry you'll get used to it.

    He'll come here spout some bullshit, claim he knows all. And then when he is proved wrong he'll disapear in a childish strop and then come back a few weeks later saying the same thing again thinking we're all so stupid we'd have forgotten the last time.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 18:25:07 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You guys are fucking retarded!

    Anothermartin-- when you are looking at your TV, you are only looking at PART of the TV you dumbfuck.

    So do you only look down the barrel of your gun, and not at your surroundings to see things moving that you then focus on?

    Of course I do... peripheral vision has a use!

    But does it have a use on a HANDHELD SCREEN WITH TINY DETAILS? No. Peripheral vision tells me when a car is in the lane next to me, but it doesn't tell me what kind of car, how many passengers it has, if it's two door or four door, etc...

    when you are reading a book, do your eyes move from word to word? Of course they do. You may be able to read a couple words at once, but your eyes have to constantly move to be able to really READ the word.

    Peripheral vision tells you something is there. It doesn't tell you what.
  • marilena 13 Aug 2004 18:26:30 8,238 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The thing is Bill, that nobody here is or has been raving about how great the DS is going to be. Everyone knows it's an unusual idea and it might not work. You're not saying anything out of the ordinary. You're not illuminating us. The only difference is that we are willing to give it a chance, while you are not. Wich just shows how limited you're mind is and how much your reasoning is clouded by your feelings towards Nintendo. Because it can actually work and any sane person should hope it does, because it means we can have another great toy to play with.

    Disclaimer: anyone who disagrees with me can say so and remove himself from the cover of the word "we".
  • mingster 13 Aug 2004 18:26:37 3,489 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I wasn't sure about tbeing able to see one screen at a time, so after doing some tests i seem to have come to the conclusion that it IS just about possible to see both screens at the same time if they are near enough together.

    BUT if you are focusing intently on one area then the other area in your peripheral vision definately isn't clear so you have to look down and see the other area/screen to focus on it.

    Now i'm not sure how long this takes exactly but i reckon rough time to look between screens and refocus is definately way less than a second. So in theory you can use both screens at once sort of, but not both simultaneously.

    Think of the second screen as an extra window of information that isnt going to clog up your main gaming area. ie: maps, stats etc...

    Now touch screen i do agree with Bill about. Don't see the point. No one ever asked for it and it'll just get scratched up and stop being touch sensitive probably.

    Now unless its the same sort touch technology thats used on laptops instead of a mouse. If you could use it as a touchpad instead of a mouse that would be good.
    Touchpad and finger = good. Scratching on a touchscreen with a stylus = bad.
  • AnotherMartin 13 Aug 2004 18:27:27 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    andrewfromdoncaster wrote:
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Ok, who the fuck has the talent to use peripheral vision successfully while PLAYING VIDEO GAMES?

    If I am to assume that some of you have the miraculous ability to be able to see clearly two places at once then you are surely a multiplayer Halo God, as you can look at your screen and your opponents at the exact same time. With no blur. Amazing. I didn't know Eurogamer was stocked full of genetically enhanced superhumans.

    So do you only look down the barrel of your gun, and not at your surroundings to see things moving that you then focus on?

    you know bill may be on to something?

    It could explain why I suck at racing games on my 36" TV.

    Racing along, racing along, staring at the road.

    Oh I wonder how many laps I've done?

    /looks at lap counter

    /crashes, arse!


    Racing along, racing along, staring at the road.

    Oh I wonder how my lap time is?

    /looks at lap time

    /crashes, arse!


    Racing along, racing along, staring at the road.

    Oh I wonder where my opponents are on the course map?

    /looks at course map.

    /crashes, arse!


    /thinks if only I had a button to switch between all these whilst racing. Damn these stupid evelopers.

    Or maybe I should by a 3" pocket TV so my meager brain and naf eye site can take it all in at once?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 18:36:15 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nintendo's new handheld could be better.

    It could have one screen, no touch-crap, and better technology.

    Unoriginal? Yes, but that is only a secondary consequence of my preferences, not a primary concern. In my branches of preferences, originality is LOWER on the scale than enjoyment is. I do not wish to sacrifice enjoyment for originality.

    All Nintendo is doing is COMMITTING SUICIDE. They're practically handing the entire portable gaming industry over to Sony! Do any of you understand the implications that has on every other product and piece of software Nintendo will ever release? Do know what will happen to Nintendo when they no longer have a monopoly on the portable industry? Nintendo's profits? GONE.

    There is reason for Nintendo fans to be angry-- they are endangering their entire product line through poor ideas. The Nintendo DS is a bigger-- and less forgiving-- mistake than the N64 cartridges blunder.

    Nintendo = Retarded
  • Khanivor 13 Aug 2004 18:36:31 44,714 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Stevas mkII wrote:



    /Is touched


    I think.

    /touches Stevas

    You are now.
  • Plob 13 Aug 2004 18:36:39 111 posts
    Registered 17 years ago
    You're average action/shootemup may not benefit from two screens. But the GBA's catalogue is full to the brim with RPGs RTSs and other tactics/slow paced genres. The Japanese can't get enough of them. And they're pretty popular in the west as well.
    Two screens will be ideal.
  • kincaide 13 Aug 2004 18:38:13 5,067 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Stevas mkII wrote:



    /Is touched


    I think.

    /touches Stevas

    You are now.

    Will you guys stop touching each other
  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:40:32
    Just think how good RTS games will be with a stylus to control instead of a joypad.

    RTS games with a joypad just don't work - so if it's a choice between playing a RTS game on a PSP with joypad and on one screen or on a DS with 2 screens and a stylus, for me there is only one winner.

    /Drools at the prospect of wireless multiplayer Age of Empires II DS
  • perilikid 13 Aug 2004 18:40:32 1,715 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Stevas mkII wrote:



    /Is touched


    I think.

    /touches Stevas

    You are now.

    Will you guys stop touching each other
    Oh, that's rich coming from you! What might've happened between you and baby girl if I hadn't walked into the Dolphin, eh? ;-)
  • kincaide 13 Aug 2004 18:41:53 5,067 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    perilikid wrote:
    Oh, that's rich coming from you! What might've happened between you and baby girl if I hadn't walked into the Dolphin, eh? ;-)

    Hey we were talkin', these guys (GUYS!) are touching
  • Plob 13 Aug 2004 18:45:26 111 posts
    Registered 17 years ago
    Come on then BGIE. Where's your argument for how shit the DS will be for RPG, RTS, etc. Genre's which are very well suited to mobile gaming, two screens, and a stylus/touchscreen, and which are very popular in Nintendo's homeland (and do pretty well in the west).
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 18:47:39 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Two screens has benefits. Almost everything has benefits to it.

    Rational thinking, however, includes comparing the the benefits with the costs. Including a second screen will automatically scare a lot of gamers off. Including a second screen will automatically raise the price of the console-- further limiting the amount of people who will buy it. Including a second screen will scare off developers who do not want to spend the time thinking of completely new ways to make games.

    Listen-- two screens IS better than one. It's an option! It's an extra screen! It IS BETTER and I mean that!

    BUT it's going to really hurt Nintendo, having two screens and that touch-shit. It's going to send people to the PSP.

    While yes, I honestly want two-screens, I do NOT want two screens if it comes at the expense of Nintendo's future! And it will-- it is going to!

    Oh yes, the Nintendo DS and it's originality is going to cost all of us. We'll be getting fewer Nintendo games, at longer intervals thanks to lost profits and poor management.

    Are we beginning to see why i'm so anti-Nintendo now? Nintendo pisses me off because they are killing themselves. And I want to play Nintendo games.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:49:21
    Hasn't the DS been priced around the $179 mark whilst the PSP is nearer $300?

    Clicky

    Edited by HairyArse at 17:50:13 13-08-2004
  • Plob 13 Aug 2004 18:50:33 111 posts
    Registered 17 years ago
    It'll be best suited to the kind of mobile gaming the Japanese love the most. There's going to be some stunning strategy games on it. I think it'll make them money. Don't worry about it.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:50:35
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Nintendo's new handheld could be better.

    It could have one screen, no touch-crap, and better technology.

    Unoriginal? Yes, but that is only a secondary consequence of my preferences, not a primary concern. In my branches of preferences, originality is LOWER on the scale than enjoyment is. I do not wish to sacrifice enjoyment for originality.

    All Nintendo is doing is COMMITTING SUICIDE. They're practically handing the entire portable gaming industry over to Sony! Do any of you understand the implications that has on every other product and piece of software Nintendo will ever release? Do know what will happen to Nintendo when they no longer have a monopoly on the portable industry? Nintendo's profits? GONE.

    There is reason for Nintendo fans to be angry-- they are endangering their entire product line through poor ideas. The Nintendo DS is a bigger-- and less forgiving-- mistake than the N64 cartridges blunder.

    Nintendo = Retarded


    I don't mean to insult your intelligence, oh great business analyst, but big business is able to diversify into other areas if it feels that they offer a great degree of profitability.

    Also, you have no idea of what the price elasticity of demand is for any of the goods in the handheld market - as someone who doesn't profess to know-all, i will hypothesise (not tell everyone as you like to do) that all goods are price elastic because there are many subsitute goods (stay with me Bill, i know its gettin techincal). The expected high price of the PSP, at around treble nintendo's offering means that sales of the PSP could well be lower. That being said, the PSP has a fair few USPs, meaning people may believe that it is really worth more than 200. However, at this price it will be Sony whose profits go, as they adopt a more destroyer, rather than cost-plus strategy to gain market share. As the bulk of Sony's profits comes from video games, it may be that sony is the one bleeding cash, and that their profits are "GONE"
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 18:50:52 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hasn't the DS been priced around the $149 mark whilst the PSP is nearer $300?

    What does that have to do with the second screen increasing the price of the DS?
  • Deleted user 13 August 2004 18:52:56
    Well your arguement is based around the fact that the DS will cost more for having two screens. The higher cost means more people are likely to be pushed towards buying a PSP, but how is this the case if the DS turns out to be a whole $130 cheaper than the PSP?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 19:03:07 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    However, at this price it will be Sony whose profits go, as they adopt a more destroyer, rather than cost-plus strategy to gain market share. As the bulk of Sony's profits comes from video games, it may be that sony is the one bleeding cash, and that their profits are "GONE"

    I agree! I've said this many times, in regards to the advantage Microsoft will have in the next home console generation, because of the PSP. Sony is diverting resources away from it's console business-- which is so fucking stupid!

    Sony is having trouble making a profit-- and now that Microsoft is a serious competitor they intend to take on Nintendo's MONOPOLY? Is Sony fucking crazy?

    Sony and Nintendo are killing each other while Microsoft sits back and laughs.

    Also, you have no idea of what the price elasticity of demand is for any of the goods in the handheld market - as someone who doesn't profess to know-all, i will hypothesise (not tell everyone as you like to do) that all goods are price elastic because there are many subsitute goods (stay with me Bill, i know its gettin techincal).

    I DO claim that adding a second screen will increase the price of the product. I DO claim that a higher price will lower demand. Those are things I do know.

    And you weren't getting technical at all. You think price elasticity and "substitute goods" is getting technical?

    What, did you just take an Intro to Economics course?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Aug 2004 19:07:09 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Well your arguement is based around the fact that the DS will cost more for having two screens. The higher cost means more people are likely to be pushed towards buying a PSP, but how is this the case if the DS turns out to be a whole $130 cheaper than the PSP?

    Hairy, answer this for me.

    Which do you think gives the DS a greater advantage?

    $150 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP

    or

    $100 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP




    Well?
  • Moe-Foe 13 Aug 2004 19:09:30 87 posts
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    Well your arguement is based around the fact that the DS will cost more for having two screens. The higher cost means more people are likely to be pushed towards buying a PSP, but how is this the case if the DS turns out to be a whole $130 cheaper than the PSP?

    Hairy, answer this for me.

    Which do you think gives the DS a greater advantage?

    $150 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP

    or

    $100 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP




    Well?

    I'd prefer a free Nintendo DS...
  • Day 13 Aug 2004 19:09:32 315 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GrandTheftApu 13 Aug 2004 19:12:30 6,117 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Which do you think gives the DS a greater advantage?

    $150 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP

    or

    $100 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP




    Well?

    Which do you think gives Nintendo a greater advantage?

    $100 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP

    or

    $100 GBA SP vs. $130 Nintendo DS vs. $300 PSP
  • Day 13 Aug 2004 19:14:40 315 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    Which do you think gives Nintendo a greater advantage?

    $100 Nintendo DS vs. a $300 PSP

    or

    $100 GBA SP vs. $130 Nintendo DS vs. $300 PSP


    Ouch!! ;)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.