Too late to start playing piano? Page 2

• Tryhard 25 May 2016 15:42:53 12,014 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You do realize they inserted steel rods into those cat legs to play that keyboard.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2016 15:44:06
    Here you go

http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/026031/details.html
  • Load_2.0 25 May 2016 16:06:42 33,287 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Despite a targeted marketing approach Freakzilla's online piano store folded only 2 months after opening.

You might say he got into financial treble...
  • Deleted user 25 May 2016 16:10:56
    Sounds like it all went flat.
  • Deleted user 25 May 2016 16:12:23
    You would have to be sharp to make it work.
  • Load_2.0 25 May 2016 16:24:01 33,287 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That is the key.
  • Dirtbox 25 May 2016 16:39:25 92,425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • quadfather 4 Jan 2018 20:48:19 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok. So I've been playing keyboards and piano for a while now. I'm not brilliant, and just had the standard lessons in classical piano as a kid.

However, over the last few years or so, I've been really stepping up my game and breaking away from fucking classical music and have started jamming with some friends, and I'm more comfortable on the keyboard than anything else.

The thing is, you know that really cool horror synth type sample in zombie army trilogy? You know, the one that sounds like carpenter himself is doing it?

That's what I want.

I've got a dumb keyboard that I can connect to the pc via midi and fuck about, but most of my kit is elsewhere in the house.

So, the question is, what you recommend as a keyboard to take it to the next step - it obviously needs to be able to do the sounds and effects that I've described, and the m guessing I'm going to need a separate amp and speakers for it?

Any tips?
  • Deleted user 4 January 2018 21:38:19
    @quadfather i have the roland juno ds and it is magic, a huge bank of sounds and no doubt it would have what you need. You would need an amp, yes.

Alternatively you could get into synthesis and use a midi controller with a laptop and the appropriate gubbins. It is a more complicated affair though as you would need to understand some fundamentals.

Sorry, I missread your post, if you have midi already then you could look at the sound banks and virtual instruments from Native Instruments or any manner of other companies.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 21:39:49 04-01-2018
  • Nanocrystal 5 Jan 2018 02:38:10 2,473 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started screwing around with a keyboard recently at the age of 36. Have played guitar for a long time but never piano/keyboard, and I can't read music, so it's challenging. I started with this, mostly because the whole song is free and these videos are quite easy to learn from without having to know any specific chords or notes. After a few months of practising on and off, I can more or less play the whole thing now and am pretty chuffed with myself. Can also play a bit of Karma Police. Being able to jam or improvise would be amazing but I don't think I have the time or willpower to ever get that good.
  • Sponz 5 Jan 2018 07:06:36 702 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Username checks out.

I've got an OB-6, Prophet-6 and MFB Dominion 1 in my arsenal amongst other bits. They really are some of the best analogue synths of the new age, and can pretty much do anything in the subtractive synthesis world.

A good starting module that would see you through would be a Roland Integra-7. Although it's not analogue, it would give you thousands of patches and drum instruments, and you could control it with your computer and controller keyboard.

Best community online for all things music production: gearslutz.com

..and don't forget our god and saviour over at Sonic State.

..and the Synth Memes group on Facebook for laughs.
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 11:21:08 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @quadfather i have the roland juno ds and it is magic, a huge bank of sounds and no doubt it would have what you need. You would need an amp, yes.

Alternatively you could get into synthesis and use a midi controller with a laptop and the appropriate gubbins. It is a more complicated affair though as you would need to understand some fundamentals.

Sorry, I missread your post, if you have midi already then you could look at the sound banks and virtual instruments from Native Instruments or any manner of other companies.
    Nice one is I'll take a look at that keyboard.

Yeah, I'm trying to get away from the midi / pc side of things as I want this keyboard permanently set up elsewhere from the pc
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 11:22:21 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I started screwing around with a keyboard recently at the age of 36. Have played guitar for a long time but never piano/keyboard, and I can't read music, so it's challenging. I started with this, mostly because the whole song is free and these videos are quite easy to learn from without having to know any specific chords or notes. After a few months of practising on and off, I can more or less play the whole thing now and am pretty chuffed with myself. Can also play a bit of Karma Police. Being able to jam or improvise would be amazing but I don't think I have the time or willpower to ever get that good.
    That's pretty interesting, I'll take a look at that, cheers
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 11:27:29 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Minimoog

Yowzer, thanks for the info !

I'm definitely more interested in a hardware synth. The room it's going into has got 2 decks, 2 guitars and a piano and no computer in sight, so it's more of a traditional music room. The keyboard will be replacing an old Hammond replica which is on its arse.

I'll have to read up on those models you mentioned, cheers!
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 11:28:21 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Sponz

More info , thanks for that. I definitely have some stuff to look at now, cheers!
  • Deleted user 5 January 2018 11:44:13
    Oh and one thing, if you intend to have it fairly portable then it may be a good idea not to go for a 88 key keyboard, we did that with our Juno and it's quite the cumbersome thing to lug around. We really should have got a smaller one but we wanted the weighted keys and a full-range as we both play a fair amount of classical stuff, although we have an actual piano for that so fuck knows why we did it, probably just because we were feeling extravagant.
  • Gibroon 5 Jan 2018 12:58:01 2,634 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I bought a Roland FA-06 last year, extremely versatile machine with 16 track sequencer for recording and very portable with quite a ridiculous amount of sounds. Almost went for Juno DS 88 keyboard but I wanted an all-in-one keyboard so went for the 61 key FA-06 for the same price.

Quite pricey at around 900 quid (was 819 till Brexit)but very happy with it. There's a few things that may not be to your liking, no touch screen, fairly limited sampler.

Loads of good tutorial vids as well. Roland support

Like anything, shop around, download instruction manuals, watch videos and try and get hands on with anything you fancy before buying.
  • Sponz 5 Jan 2018 19:36:05 702 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather

What is your start/mid/end game here?

You say you want classic analog synth sounds, but you won't have a pooter to sequence it with. Are you just going to be playing manually/live? Otherwise you're going to need a sequencer as well.

Couple of people above mentioned the new Juno keyboards, which are good for performance in that that they built in sequencing, sampling and sound modules all in the one box. (I believe they have SuperNatural synth engines in them, the same as the Integra-7 I mentioned.) - But they're not going to give you the same analogue feeling as a dedicated analogue synth like from the Dave Smith stable.

I generally use a PC running Cubase for sequencing, recording notes and composing as I can't play for toffee.
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:01:34 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Oh and one thing, if you intend to have it fairly portable then it may be a good idea not to go for a 88 key keyboard, we did that with our Juno and it's quite the cumbersome thing to lug around. We really should have got a smaller one but we wanted the weighted keys and a full-range as we both play a fair amount of classical stuff, although we have an actual piano for that so fuck knows why we did it, probably just because we were feeling extravagant.
    Funnily enough I was just looking at the two different options available.

Portability isn't an issue as it will be in place for 99% of the time.

The main checklist I have is -

Weighted keys
    Polyphonic
    Ability to manipulate sounds / create new ones (so probably analogue)
    Computer nowhere in site so it has to do the lot, including rhythm accompanying

Bout it really. I've already got a stand and a chair so will pick up an amp. That's a point - the last time I bought an amp was a second hand Marshall. What's to go for nowadays for a keyboard? Doesn't have to be that powerful or large as it's only a small room it needs to fill.
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:05:16 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sponz wrote:
    @quadfather

What is your start/mid/end game here?

You say you want classic analog synth sounds, but you won't have a pooter to sequence it with. Are you just going to be playing manually/live? Otherwise you're going to need a sequencer as well.

Couple of people above mentioned the new Juno keyboards, which are good for performance in that that they built in sequencing, sampling and sound modules all in the one box. (I believe they have SuperNatural synth engines in them, the same as the Integra-7 I mentioned.) - But they're not going to give you the same analogue feeling as a dedicated analogue synth like from the Dave Smith stable.

I generally use a PC running Cubase for sequencing, recording notes and composing as I can't play for toffee.
    Sequencing would be an added bonus but what I normally use the current organ for is impromptu live jamming when people are around. If I'm on my own, then sequencing would obviously help but it's not essential if it has at least rythym accompaniment.

If I had to choose between a dedicated analogue synth, and sequencing, I'd go analogue as I prefer to play to what's happening in the moment, if that makes any fucking sense at all.

Budget is up to a grand but obviously, as normal, lower the better
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:05:44 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But as mentioned, I really need to start the research and compile pros and cons etc firstly
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:06:31 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    I bought a Roland FA-06 last year, extremely versatile machine with 16 track sequencer for recording and very portable with quite a ridiculous amount of sounds. Almost went for Juno DS 88 keyboard but I wanted an all-in-one keyboard so went for the 61 key FA-06 for the same price.

Quite pricey at around 900 quid (was 819 till Brexit)but very happy with it. There's a few things that may not be to your liking, no touch screen, fairly limited sampler.

Loads of good tutorial vids as well. Roland support

Like anything, shop around, download instruction manuals, watch videos and try and get hands on with anything you fancy before buying.
    Hmm, that sounds like it covers my needs - I'll add it to the list, cheers
  • Technoishmatt 5 Jan 2018 20:25:43 5,244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For moneysaving, download the free Figure for PC or iOS. It probably has your horror synth in there :) I think you can actually control via midi nowadays.
  • Deleted user 5 January 2018 20:43:10
    quadfather wrote

Weighted keys
    Polyphonic

Bout it really. I've already got a stand and a chair so will pick up an amp. That's a point - the last time I bought an amp was a second hand Marshall. What's to go for nowadays for a keyboard? Doesn't have to be that powerful or large as it's only a small room it needs to fill.
    What do you mean by manipulate? The juno has loads of sounds on it but one cant really alter them afaik. You can change the attack, resonance and also do pitch bend amongst other things. It does rhythm accompaniment and it has a looper which I habe recently started using and it is ace. One problem is it is quite pricey, otherwise it fits he bill.

As for an amp, pretty much anything will do, you don't meed to worry about getting some fancy valve amp.
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:44:19 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @technoishmatt

heh I know what you mean, but not having a computer/laptop in sight is a big thing on this. Not to say that I won't occasionally lug it to the pc and piss about more, but the main duty of this keyboard is to be able to just turn it on, on a whim, and bang some live sounds out, there and then. And the more horror core the sounds are, the better

Edited by quadfather at 20:44:52 05-01-2018
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 20:46:43 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    quadfather wrote

Weighted keys
    Polyphonic

What do you mean by manipulate? The juno has loads of sounds on it but one cant really alter them afaik. You can change the attack, resonance and also do pitch bend amongst other things. It does rhythm accompaniment and it has a looper which I habe recently started using and it is ace. One problem is it is quite pricey, otherwise it fits he bill.

As for an amp, pretty much anything will do, you don't meed to worry about getting some fancy valve amp.
    That's perfect. Probably chose the wrong word as manipulate is a bit strong. "Slightly fuck about with" suits me fine :)

Hm, the Juno does seem good.

I've got to check that behringer deepmind out as well
  • Deleted user 5 January 2018 21:24:16
    As recommended above, check out the roland youtube channel, it will do a good job of showing you the options available.
  • quadfather 5 Jan 2018 21:39:13 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will do. Nice one chaps, cheers to all
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.