Splinter Cell PS2 Demo

• Blerk Moderator 26 Feb 2003 10:09:07 48,222 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone played it? Dropped by the newsies to pick up an OPSM2 last night and they didn't have it yet. Grr.
  • pjmaybe 26 Feb 2003 10:15:23 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is that what's on the mag this month then? Hmm might just get OXBM instead.

Peej
  • Tiitiz 26 Feb 2003 10:17:56 1,128 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    Played it in HMV last Saturday. Very well done I have to say :D Still not as good to look at but quite close. Couldn't play the game all that much because someone mashed up the right thumbstick which controls the camera so it kept moving round right
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Feb 2003 10:33:27 48,222 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    AnotherMartin gave us a full disc listing yesterday, Peej. If you're interested. :-)
  • BartonFink 27 Feb 2003 23:05:02 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Finally got my hands on OPSM2 tonight and started playing and fired up the Xbox version for the craic too just to compare the visuals.

Anyway pretty much as expected it looks great for a PS2 game I am amazed at how the guys actually pulled it off. Quite a feat of Software engineering on their part and well done sirs.
    But anybody thinking it looks any as nice as the Xbox version is out of their minds. The level of detail just ain't there.

On to the next bit the controlls. Same again as expected not much of a change from the original.
    The buttons: I reckon the Xbox default button configuration is better though, but that's just me I have been playing the game for a while.
    In game control:
    Doesn't seem as sharp at all on the PS2 version specially when armed. Sam just seems like he is turning in jelly of something. He also doesn't seem to turn quite as quick. Minor niggles I know but they are there. The aiming in general does seem to have been slowed down quite a lot making it hard to get in those all important headshots.

Just my initial impressions I will come back again when I have completed the demo.
  • BartonFink 28 Feb 2003 00:24:32 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just noticed a very annoying trait in OPS2M demos.
    WTF is the story with timing out after only about 3 or 4 minutes of play. Grrrrrr fn annoying.
  • Whizzo 28 Feb 2003 00:27:48 44,807 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's a pain in the arse isn't it? You can't leave it paused, go and make a cuppa or answer the front door without the damn thing resetting! :-(
  • BartonFink 28 Feb 2003 00:33:43 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gah it ain't even that I was just playing Zapper, Rayman 2 and Dr Muto 3 f*cking minutes in and the bloody thing stops. Sorry but this doesn't happen with demos on OXM.
  • krudster 28 Feb 2003 12:27:19 597 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Best to point out the old "the demo isn't the finished build" etc. Anyone who saw the WRC II or Getaway demos will certainly know what I'm saying!
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Feb 2003 12:35:11 40,158 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Barton, I know what you're talking about, it really pisses me off. Played the Aquila demo yesterday - reset after 5 minutes; Red Card Soccer demo - reset after 5 minutes; Rayman demo - reset etc.

What the heck? Don't they trust their own games? It's a real reason for me not to buy a game if a demo annoys me that way. It's such a silly paternalism. "No, you know how the game is by now, we won't let you play any longer, haha!". Shows to me that the PC games scene is a lot more mature/polished in some respect.

About the SC demo: it looks really good for a PS2 game, but I can't imagine playing it after having tried the Xbox version and the PC demo. No way.

The control layout is very good, but I can't cope with the aiming and the slooooow camera turning (was the same on Xbox I reckon, much better with a mouse).

Edited by UncleLou at 12:41:45 28-02-2003
  • BartonFink 28 Feb 2003 14:19:19 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    but I can't cope with the aiming and the slooooow camera turning (was the same on Xbox I reckon, much better with a mouse).
    Don't know about using a mouse but there is a difference between the Xbox and PS2 versions tried both versions last night switching between the two PS2 is definately slooooower.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.