Following The iPad Page 267

• nickthegun 7 Jan 2020 17:25:53 81,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís a great replacement for your laptop, depending on what you use your laptop for.

I replaced a MacBook Pro with one because I just used it to fuck around on the internet and watch YouTubeís and itís fine for that. Iíve got a pencil and I couldnít be happier that Iíve made the right decision. I also have a desktop to do proper pooter stuff.

My step mum is well into photography and she just uses an iPad and a pencil to do her manipulation and she seems happy with it.

So, in summary: it obviously canít replace a laptop but if your use case is right, it completely works.
  • erasr 7 Jan 2020 17:47:42 415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bought an 11Ē iPad Pro last month and it is one of my favourite Apple devices ever.

Iím a big Apple fan, having had a MBA, Pro, iMac, iPhone etc etc. The 2011 MBA is up there with the best but this iPad is beautiful.

Itís like Apple have made extra effort - going back to their old high standards. I see no reason whatsoever to have to replace it in the next couple of years.

Itís super fast and Pro Motion is glorious, far better and quicker than my iPhone XS. FaceTime works every...single...time and instantly.

No, I couldnít use it as a MBP replacement, only because I use spreadsheets, write many emails and design PowerPoints, and thatís all a bit fiddly on iPad.

If youíre a light user of email and work stuff then it can replace a MacBook.

I also have the pencil which makes note taking awesome. Folio too.

Watching video on iPad is again awesome. I usually game and have the football on it standing with the folio.

I canít recommend it enough, however I had heavy discount. I would wait until March to see if new ones come.
  • Nazo 7 Jan 2020 18:01:31 1,306 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    I see no reason whatsoever to have to replace it in the next couple of years.
    Wow, a whole 2 years? High praise indeed.
  • Derblington 7 Jan 2020 18:11:40 32,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @binky
    As everyone has said above basically - no problems so far and no regrets.

Iím not a heavy user though, itís basically web-browsing, sketching, reading and some light streaming. Iím going to look into Skillshare or similar this year to dive a bit deeper into art and photo manipulation to focus on some hobby stuff to keep me sane from work stuff, rather than just ďwastingĒ my evenings playing games, and thatíll all work lovely on it too.

Only problem I can see, as mentioned above too, is heavy data entry/PowerPoint usage, though after learning a few tricks I reckon youíll find a suitable workflow to get it done. A bt mouse would also be an advantage, which is now an option,

A producer workmate uses his (older model) to Remote Desktop for work, for emails and stuff so thatís all workable as long as youíre willing to learn the flows. But thereís pretty much an app for everything thatíll make it functional, if not ideal.

Ed: As well as the pencil and folio case I bought a 10í USB-C cable and one of these, to make it a bit more versatile and itís well worth it:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VMK7GTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After showing a friend heís literally bought the exact same set-up - heís also a producer in the studio and will be using it for a combo of work/family things.

Edited by Derblington at 18:19:48 07-01-2020
  • erasr 7 Jan 2020 18:25:28 415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    erasr wrote:
    Trade it in / sell it and you get a very good price. That cycle works for me. If you donít want to do that, then make it 4 years.
  • erasr 7 Jan 2020 18:25:28 415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    erasr wrote:
    Trade it in / sell it and you get a very good price. That cycle works for me. If you donít want to do that, then make it 4 years.
  • Derblington 7 Jan 2020 18:26:34 32,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also, in terms of photo editing (older model iPad Pro too...):

This was something Iíd watched last year when I sizing up making the switch. I watched a ton of reviews for the hardware and accessories, and the different ways that creatives were using it. If thatís how you want to dabble then itíll work fine.

Edited by Derblington at 18:27:06 07-01-2020
  • Your-Mother 7 Jan 2020 18:28:55 4,093 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I use mine for general noodling around, but O365/Azure stuff is pretty terrible on it, so itís not a work laptop replacement for me yet.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Jan 2020 19:42:43 2,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Azure/aws management is fine with a mouse/keyboard paired, wouldnít want to do that stuff touch screen really
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Jan 2020 19:56:35 9,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I got a surface pro recently and I am not quite convinced that it is not a laptop.
  • binky Moderator 7 Jan 2020 20:33:08 11,025 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Good feedback, thanks all.
    I think Iíll wait until Easter regardless, but sounds like itíll be a suitable thing for what I need.
  • beastmaster 7 Jan 2020 20:36:03 20,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Catalina also managed to bork my iPad to going to totally wipe it and start from scratch. Just got back from work though so way too tired to do this and re-sync everything again.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Jan 2020 20:38:21 2,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I think Iíll wait until Easter regardless, but sounds like itíll be a suitable thing for what I need.
    I replaced my MacBook Pro with an air. Mostly write html/css/js and do server config/terminal access.

No longer can do any photoshop work but thatís what my desktop pc is for
  • binky Moderator 8 Jan 2020 08:38:15 11,025 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @CrispyXUKTurbo See I fully intend to use an iPad for personal photshop (or alternative) work. Mostly retouching photos I'd imagine. I still have a 2013 MBP if I need desktop stuff, and also have a work 2015 MBP that has Adobe CC stuff too - but I like to keep work stuff separate to personal stuff.
  • mothercruncher 16 Jan 2020 16:17:31 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My iPad Air 2 has just died, I think. The battery was fucked and the power button no longer worked, but now it looks like the screen has gone- strange ghosting and shadowing today and now, only blackness my friend.

Are there any new ďmust havesĒ in iPad land? OMFG you noob if I donít have a laminated screen? Apple Pencil anything other than a novelty?
  • yegon 16 Jan 2020 17:11:32 6,493 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The iPad Pro is ace.

I give it review/10.
  • erasr 18 Jan 2020 11:28:44 415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    binky wrote:
    I replaced my MacBook Pro with an air. Mostly write html/css/js and do server config/terminal access.

No longer can do any photoshop work but thatís what my desktop pc is for
    Iím thinking about doing the same. I went overboard on a Pro (16gb) in 2018 but donít need all that. Poor keyboard too.

I want lighter and thinner. Has the Air throttled things a lot for you or was it a good decision?

To the guy just above, go iPad Pro if you can afford, although new ones might be coming this spring.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jan 2020 21:22:11 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve bought a Pro. And now I actually feel physically sick at the thought of adding another £120 on top for a pencil I clearly need to have. Ugh.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jan 2020 21:40:29 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ď2BĒ, the BEST grade of pencil bar none.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 23 Jan 2020 21:45:21 2,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a play with photoshop for iPad, itís pretty good but itís confusing as Iíve been using photoshop before they introduced layers.

I really need a pencil to see what it offers
  • RedPanda87 16 Mar 2020 12:48:35 2,018 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    My iPad Air 2 has just died, I think. The battery was fucked and the power button no longer worked, but now it looks like the screen has gone- strange ghosting and shadowing today and now, only blackness my friend.

Are there any new ďmust havesĒ in iPad land? OMFG you noob if I donít have a laminated screen? Apple Pencil anything other than a novelty?
    New Pro model is prob out soon so if you can wait a month or so it might be worth it - even if you don't go for the new top end one, the previous Pro will prob also drop in price. And the last model came out in 2018, so this isn't something that's updated all the time.
  • ozthegweat 16 Mar 2020 15:46:47 2,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could also be they delay it until autumn. People are just starting to go back to the factories, and it's probably not an ideal time to launch a new product.
  • RedPanda87 18 Mar 2020 08:54:53 2,018 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Certainly possible, but Apple just accidentally listed four new models on its site, so still looking like they'll land soon.
  • ozthegweat 18 Mar 2020 10:29:25 2,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps. Could be they just announce them on their website. It's no big upgrade anyway, better cameras and that's it.
  • beastmaster 18 Mar 2020 12:51:43 20,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fucking hell. This looks slick!

• X201 18 Mar 2020 12:53:40 20,586 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How much?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.