X201 wrote:
    How much?
    Full hit is £1,469.00

Edit: Without the new magic keyboard.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:02:13 18-03-2020
  • Phattso 18 Mar 2020 13:05:39 25,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm glad I didn't wait - there's nothing in the refresh that turns my head. Picked up the large iPad Pro in the US last November, with the V2 pen, for somewhere around £850 all-in on a Black Friday special.

Spoiler: Barely used the fucking thing, thanks to moving house and getting access to my PC again. D'oh! :D
  • DanoFNG 18 Mar 2020 14:29:55 369 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've still got the 10.5" pro at the moment. It's usually a year and a half between different models isn't it, so will be a while until the next one now? The keyboard is tempting me I have to say.
  • yegon 18 Mar 2020 16:25:09 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iíll be buying that new keyboard the moment itís available to buy, oof! Canít believe itís actually compatible with the 2018 iPad Proís, because Apple.

Yeah yeah way too spendy, but it looks great. Variable angles, scissor keys, track pad, higher placement of the iPad. Looks ace.

/waits for ďbuy a MacBookĒ crowd, yawn. Iíve got an old but still highly capable MBP which I barely use. I use desktop for ďseriousĒ computing when necessary.
  • FIFAfan 19 Mar 2020 07:39:58 268 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is the new keyboard "lappable"? Cos that's kinda what I want a 2-in-1 tablet to convert into - a 'laptop', not an all in one.

Elevated screen is neat idea and all (particularly on a desk), but think the Surface Pro and Galaxy Tab S6 hinge + foldout keyboard is more practical solution.
  • Derblington 19 Mar 2020 08:16:22 33,885 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I need the magic keyboard, it looks great. The trackpad is the one thing Iíve been missing when using the iPad as a Remote Desktop tool.

May upgrade the whole unit just to have it, as I can sell mine to cover the majority of the cost but I need to look into the differences more.
  • yegon 19 Mar 2020 08:37:35 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @FIFAfan

Iím almost certain it is lappable, but itíll become clearer when reviews are out I expect.

I disagree about the hinge on a Surface Pro. Great on a desk, versatile, but lousy on my lap I found. The two angles of the current iPad Pro keyboard are restrictive but rock solid stable I find. Well, the 12.9Ē certainly.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2020 09:34:30 11,065 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think it looks brilliant. Will be looking to order once shit settles down, and once reviews of the keyboard case come in. Will be my first non-phone apple purchase in 5 years as everything has lasted.
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 09:49:59 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FIFAfan wrote:
    Is the new keyboard "lappable"?
    In the following video at 1m12s there's a quick shot of someone using it on their lap, kinda:

• yegon 19 Mar 2020 10:11:15 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iíd be amazed if it wasnít great on the lap. Apple have frequently made missteps, but I doubt theyíd make this one based on observing peoples usage.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2020 10:43:33 82,941 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, they never fuck that up...

• yegon 19 Mar 2020 10:45:09 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You missed ďfrequently made misstepsĒí it seems.

The butterfly keyboard was a massive fail, but itís fail clearly wasnít immediately obvious. An iPad thatís shit on the lap - immediately obvious.

That mouse charging was idiotic, but it still worked perfectly* when it wasnít charging.

*Perfectly, pah! I hate the Magic Mouse, terrible design. Try holding left and pressing right button. Idiotic. Equally, awful ergonomics.

Edited by yegon at 10:51:09 19-03-2020
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 11:00:35 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    /waits for ďbuy a MacBookĒ crowd, yawn. Iíve got an old but still highly capable MBP which I barely use. I use desktop for ďseriousĒ computing when necessary.
    I don't get that argument. An iPad can transform instantly between laptop and tablet, is ready in 1 second, is way lighter, has a better screen (higher resolution, higher refresh rate), offers Pencil input, can be had with LTE built in and depending on the model is also cheaper and smaller.
  • yegon 19 Mar 2020 11:07:20 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Same. Iíve no need for macOS or Windows on the go or on the sofa, so all of the above make iPads waaaay more pleasant for me personally.

Only said it before some muppet inevitably pipes up telling me what I should like.
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 11:12:47 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And that's another thing: using it on the couch or in bed is much easier, and when going on a trip it's just going into the backpack and done. With a laptop, taking it with you always somehow becomes a thing.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2020 11:16:03 82,941 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Only said it before some muppet inevitably pipes up telling me what I should like.
    I think most people are pretty on board with the iPad/Tablets being bestest sofa surfers, tbf.
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 11:36:56 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Regarding the Magic Mouse:

Is it inelegant? Sure.

Are there designs where you can use the mouse while charging? Certainly.

Is it a big problem? I don't think so.

I've used one for a while and it wasn't an issue for me. First of all, the battery lasts for about a month. So you don't need to charge it often. You get a message when the battery is low, so it won't be a surprise. And when it dies, charging it for 2 minutes (shorter than even a quick break) powers it for 8 hours.

The only way to make the Magic Mouse usable while charging would be with a cable port at the front. Its design is very flat and made to fit the palm of your hand, probably to make the various gestures comfortable to use. I'd wager that the edges of said port would be quite irritating for one's fingertips after a while. So it's probably either charge it from the bottom, or don't have a mouse with gestures.
  • yegon 19 Mar 2020 11:41:16 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, itís just the flat design isnít to my tastes. The swiping is good, but I prefer a bulbous Logitech with lots of buttons.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2020 11:41:58 82,941 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You could have a charge port on the left hand side. There are ways to make it work, but they chose design over function, same with most of their products.
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 12:01:58 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You could have a charge port on the left hand side. There are ways to make it work, but they chose design over function, same with most of their products.
    Cable on the side would get old very quickly, interfering with your thumb, be in the way (keyboard) when moving the mouse to the left. Rather put it on the right, but then it would be shit for left-handed people.

I disagree (in this case) that the design was valued higher than function. It's always about trade-offs. The functionalities "make it as close to a trackpad as possible to enable comfortable use of gestures" and "make it usable for right- and left-handed people" were valued higher than "make it usable while charging". Also, it's not like there are dozens of mice consisting of a touch-sensitive surface that handle it better (at least I couldn't find one).
  • ozthegweat 19 Mar 2020 12:05:36 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Yeah, itís just the flat design isnít to my tastes. The swiping is good, but I prefer a bulbous Logitech with lots of buttons.
    I didn't stick with it either. I got a Magic Trackpad and haven't looked back since. I work with a lot of huge documents where I need to zoom in and out constantly, which is super easy on a trackpad and not possible on a mouse.
  • chessboxer 19 Mar 2020 12:57:34 374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    How much?
    Full hit is £1,469.00

Edit: Without the new magic keyboard.
    I'm surprised it is cheaper. My WiFi Pro was £1726.00 on its own.
  • superdelphinus 19 Mar 2020 19:06:09 10,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is there a thread somewhere for other apple products? I tried searching but I could find things from about 9 years ago. Just wondering what peopleís opinions are of the new MacBook Air
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2020 20:39:43 95,419 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Loads in here!

https://community.eurogamer.net/category/37
  • Tricky 20 Mar 2020 08:30:37 5,012 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    I didn't stick with it either. I got a Magic Trackpad and haven't looked back since. I work with a lot of huge documents where I need to zoom in and out constantly, which is super easy on a trackpad and not possible on a mouse.
    Ctrl + Scroll Wheel - easy.
  • ozthegweat 20 Mar 2020 11:36:24 2,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    Ctrl + Scroll Wheel - easy.
    Depends on the app. But scrolling in any direction Ė not possible. But essential when navigating those huge canvases.
  • Theshape80 27 Mar 2020 09:21:24 314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How is the latest iPad Air? Looking to upgrade from a 1st gen air. Howís the video playback on Netflix? Etc. Does it have HDR?
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2020 09:25:39 33,885 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No iPads have HDR, unless the 2020 Pro has added it.
  • beastmaster 27 Mar 2020 09:31:49 21,216 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve got a first gen iPad Pro (it could be second, I canít remember).

Once things start returning to normal after Corona, Iím going to treat myself to one of the new iPads and magic keyboards.
  • Theshape80 27 Mar 2020 09:44:17 314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Derblington thatís surprising considering iPhone X has it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.