Xenoblade Page 8

• ChiefGB 25 Nov 2015 20:43:27 10,841 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    How is this on the Wii u? Anyone tried? Controller wise etc.
    I bought it, you can indeed use the gamepad inc off screen play with is great. I haven't stuck with it though and that's mainly down to backlog and wiiu being underused. Dunno if the deals still on but on release you got £5 off of x on the store at release.
  • Ror 26 Dec 2018 18:29:03 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bit of a necrobump here, but I want to talk about this game, as I've just started it - apparently, finishing XC2 last week has made me really want to get started on a game I've been sitting on for seven years.

But fuck hooking another console up, I'm playing it through Dolphin at 1080p. It cleans up reasonably well, and it's still pretty damn impressive for a Wii game, at least in terms of scale. I've found it much more accessible than the second game right out of the gate - maybe because some of the concepts/mechanics are still used in that game..? Either way, it feels a bit more straightforward and streamlined than the second (even if I do think XC2 appears complex because of how poor a job it does of explaining itself).

I'm only a few hours in so far, having just beaten the Arachno Queen, and I'm looking forward to seeing what 'having a Gaur Plains moment' means. Oh, and I have also come to realise that it is always Reyn Time.
  • GiacomoHall 26 Dec 2018 18:35:15 67 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ror It's time for Reyn

I've started this twice and thoroughly enjoyed what I played both times, but got distracted by other games and never finished it. Might be time to give it another go once I finish up a few things.

Edited by GiacomoHall at 18:35:59 26-12-2018
  • ghearoid 26 Dec 2018 18:45:48 3,201 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I dug out my copy this morning, popped it into the Wii and just went through the initial tutorial. I really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but this one has sat in a cupboard since release, unplayed and unloved. 2019 shall be the year of Xenoblade. Finally!
  • THFourteen 26 Dec 2018 18:48:00 52,209 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished this on the 3DS last year. Fucking loved it, one of my all time favourite games. Jealous of those who are playing it on a real console with a real screen :-)
  • JoelStinty 26 Dec 2018 18:53:00 7,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been tempted to buy it on the wii u, still have a wii, but don't have the game or wii motes that work. Hopefully a nice HD remaster will pop along one day.
  • Ror 26 Dec 2018 18:59:01 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wahey, glad to see it's not just me :) I think I posted in the XC2 thread that I opened my case and found it empty, despite not remembering ever even opening it. I wondered if maybe I'd tried it out in my Wii U, so plugged that in, ejected the disc and found... Splatoon. But there, in my Splatoon case, was my Xenoblade disc :D

I have a launch 3DS, so the handheld version wasn't an option for me. That's not to say I hadn't occasionally considered buying a new one just for this, though...

I will also say I find myself much more interested in the world in this one. For some reason the actual traversible areas in 2 did very little for me. "Oh great, I can look up and there's a head, yippee." For some reason I didn't really feel like I was in/on a mammoth living being in 2. In 2, the story and characters pulled me through some environments that I didn't really care about, whereas in this one I'm actually enjoying making my way through the world.

Edited by Ror at 19:03:06 26-12-2018
  • DangerousDave_87 26 Dec 2018 23:14:57 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I found the world more memorable in the first one, too. It probably helped a little that it was the first one I played, but I can distinctly remember all the key areas in such detail. I'd love a remaster. If only to fix my mental struggles with having to fill out every tiny bit of the map.

The combat, whilst initially more convoluted, is actually much more streamlined in the 2nd game though. It might be a tad annoying switching between all those arts in battle.
  • Ror 27 Dec 2018 18:06:57 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Story is moving along nicely at the moment - I'm on my way to Colony 6 after Juju got snatched up by a robot from EastEnders. Stupid Juju. Also, I just looked up the voice actor for said cockneybot and am amazed to find he also voiced Muimui in Xeno 2 :|

I've also done a fair bit of side questing today, which is something I actively avoided doing in Xeno 2. The quests aren't any less fetch-questy here (at least so far) but you pick up the majority of the things you need along the way (something which I very rarely found to be the case in 2) and you just auto-complete a lot of them, without the need to go back to the quest giver. How the hell did they manage to regress so much in XC2?!

I'm approaching level 20 now, which feels pretty decent.

As for the combat being more streamlined in the second, yeah possibly. They feel about the same for me at the moment, though obviously I'm still very early on in XC, so there's plenty of scope for it to get more complicated. My main problem with XC2's combat is that it appears to be far more complex, because they game does a poor job of explaining each mechanic, then a poor job of demoing each mechanic, and then doesn't let you revisit any prior tutorials. Once you actually get it all straight in your head, it's easy to follow and quite enjoyable.

With how opaque so much of Xeno 2's systems are, I figured it was just a quirk of the developer (I've only played a few hours of Xeno X, but found that similarly overwhelming). But everything in XC seems straightforward, well-explained, and enjoyable to engage with. What the hell happened! :D
  • DangerousDave_87 27 Dec 2018 22:18:18 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, they completely fluffed trying to introduce and explain all the mechanics in Xenoblade 2. In X you're bogged down with tutorials for a number of different systems and so you never really understand the effectiveness of the arts in that game.

The first is at least simple enough that you can digest it all better. I guess that playing the original game first made it much easier for me to grasp the combat in 2.
  • Ror 28 Dec 2018 18:31:54 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I think it's kind of worked in reverse for me. Coming from XC2, it kind of feels like I've already done the theory, so to speak.

About 9/10 hours in now and coming up on lv25. This game seems to throw levels and gear at you, which is nice. I'm just in the mines under colony 6 now, but here's a screen I took earlier.

• Ror 30 Dec 2018 17:37:37 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got to Satorl Marsh. This continues to be excellent.
  • Ror 7 Jan 2019 18:38:38 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a few days away from this as I picked up a PSVR, but I am now through Satorl, and am on my way to the Nopon Village.

• DangerousDave_87 7 Jan 2019 19:43:22 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One of my favourite places in the game. Even though the nopon are generally quite annoying.

Edit - Due to the completionist in me, I spent an hour swimming in those falls just to compete a full map of the area. I'm an idiot, I know.

I'd do it again, though...

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 19:44:52 07-01-2019
  • ghearoid 11 Jan 2019 18:05:44 3,201 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm really getting into this now. I'm at lvl22 and JuJu has just been taken.

It's funny how much of the environment them nds me of Breath of the Wild. One area has these tall mushroom things which look exactly like the ones in BotW (where Kass has a house). It started to rain too which added to the familiarity.

Oh, and the music is sublime. Great stuff all round.
  • Ror 11 Jan 2019 18:20:45 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stupid bloody Juju.

Aye, the soundtrack really is something else. Might get back on it for a spell later.

Also, I really like how easy it is to load up on sidequests and just adventure around whenever you reach a new area, completing them as you go. In XC2, before long, I made sure to ignore all the sidequests as they were boring, overlong, and... that's all I've got. They were poop.

Edited by Ror at 18:28:21 11-01-2019
  • Ror 12 Jan 2019 21:50:28 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just made it to the Nopon village and met Riki.

God, I hate nopon.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Jan 2019 21:53:45 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a great little place, though.
  • THFourteen 12 Jan 2019 22:22:26 52,209 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Donít hate on the HEROPON
  • Ror 12 Jan 2019 22:46:51 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I mean I might end up liking him by the end, but first impressions weren't great.

Also, all the nopon shit in Xenoblade 2 ch4 was the worst
  • FatSternKikwi 12 Jan 2019 23:06:13 1,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God I need to play this game. My wii u is even still hooked up to the tv. No excuse!
  • Ror 12 Jan 2019 23:38:10 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's brilliant, start it now.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2019 10:15:25 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If Nopon could talk to you, they'd call you Ror-ror.
  • GiacomoHall 13 Jan 2019 11:52:41 67 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes-no
  • Jubs95 15 Jan 2019 16:03:00 137 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really want to play this after completing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I cannot decide whether to get it on the 3DS or hook up my Wii U and download it on there.
  • ghearoid 15 Jan 2019 17:10:59 3,201 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm at lvl30. Just got to the point where that nopon gives you a quest to gather items to progress so I'm just pootling around catching up with side quests before continuing.
  • Spectral 15 Jan 2019 17:35:05 6,242 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Jubs95 While the 3DS version is impressive for being on the 3DS, it's the inferior version. It looks worse and runs worse than the Wii version.

On the Wii U downloadable Eshop version they added the ability to play it on the Wii U pad's screen using the pads controls, rather than having to use controllers designed for the original Wii.

Edited by Spectral at 17:42:59 15-01-2019
  • mrpon 15 Jan 2019 17:38:53 35,287 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Donít hate on the HEROPON
    \o/
  • Jubs95 15 Jan 2019 17:56:37 137 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Spectral thank you very much for the tip, I didn't realise you could play it using the Wii U pad!

Think that's made my mind up for me, especially given the Wii U downloadable version is also the cheaper version.
  • Ror 15 Jan 2019 18:52:30 18,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You still can't play the disc version on the game pad though, right? That was the reason I never bothered to play it on my Wii U.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.