Android hardware Page 229

• GoatApocalypse 22 Feb 2018 21:51:49 3,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Galaxy S9 will be announced on Sunday. Promo material focuses on the camera.

Hoping for a Pixel 2 price cut...
  • Tonka 23 Feb 2018 06:55:47 27,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This app from Google is quite handy if you need some extra space on your phone. Finds old, duplicate, low res files and or seldom used apps. Then you can select which ones to delete from within the app.

https://filesgo.google.com/
  • DMJ 23 Feb 2018 08:30:01 821 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That looks useful. Cheers.

As far as new phones go, I'd not hesitate to recommend the Pixel 2. Picked up mine last month while it was on sale. It was still more expensive than I would have liked but my, usually terrible, employer actually paid bonuses this year so I only paid 50 of my own money for it.

I wouldn't claim it's the best phone I've ever had (that would be either the Galaxy S2 or HTC M8, if only because they felt like bigger leaps forward), but I've got no complaints. The design is a little uninspiring, I guess, but software-wise it's pretty much perfect. I don't root my phones, so having no bloatware is eye-opening.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2018 13:35:31
    Just ordered a tempered blue Nokia 8 from cex for 300. If there's a severe lack of pubes and piss on it I've got 14 days to return it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Feb 2018 13:50:45 6,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any signs it's visited a rectal cavity?
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Feb 2018 13:54:53 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just paid my 400 for my Nokia 8 for tomorrow. I did look at CEX for a split-second. But I wasn't too keen to run the pubes gambit.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2018 14:08:57
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Any signs it's visited a rectal cavity?
    I don't have it yet to give it a sniff.
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Feb 2018 14:10:24 6,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let me know, yeah?
  • mrpon 23 Feb 2018 14:10:38 34,430 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, you need to check the photo gallery.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2018 14:48:42
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Let me know, yeah?
    Yes with extensive details on what kind of arsehole it smells like.
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Feb 2018 14:51:43 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have my new Nokia 8. Unfortunately I'm on a bus and need to get home to sort it out. Am very excited.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2018 16:04:53
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I have my new Nokia 8. Unfortunately I'm on a bus and need to get home to sort it out. Am very excited.
    What colour did you go for? I ordered the tempered blue. Just ordered the official case as well.
  • b0rk 24 Feb 2018 16:47:49 7,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought a cheapo Xperia L1 as a backup phone, seems as good as my other phones (G5, currently misplaced iPhone SE). I dunno, they all seem like much of a muchness to me. G5 has a higher res screen than the L1 but I'll be fucked if I can see an appreciable difference. Google Earth seems as fast on all the phones. /shrug

Oh, the iPhone can record video in 4K, the others can't. Meh.
  • b0rk 24 Feb 2018 16:50:15 7,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basically all I care about is maps.

edit

Fuckin' Android 8 would be nice though! What bloody phone apart from the Pixel do I have to buy to get that?

Edited by b0rk at 16:54:31 24-02-2018
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Feb 2018 18:16:20 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nokia 8 would be one of the phones on Oreo.
  • Kostabi 24 Feb 2018 19:10:34 5,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The OnePlus 3T is running Oreo these days, as is the 5.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2018 19:19:01
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    You had a play yet?
  • Tonka 24 Feb 2018 19:28:04 27,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @b0rk Sony Xperia xz ZX or whatever. Galaxy S8.
  • b0rk 24 Feb 2018 20:01:50 7,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah just read up on Xperia phones that have been selected for Oreo. I dunno, it all seems like marketing to me. Both the L1 and G5 (G5 in particular) should be capable or running Android 8. It's all a bit strange. Whatever, I'll no doubt be offered a new phone next year anyway.
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Feb 2018 20:15:26 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    You had a play yet?
    Yes, I have managed to set up my phone and was a bit put out to find out that my favourite keyboard app, Swype, is no longer available for use. If there is another app that has shortcuts for punctuation (like the comma, colon, semicolon, question mark, etc), please do let me know. But that's by the by.

The phone itself is lovely. I haven't really seen the current torchbearers in the flesh, so I don't have a baseline to compare it to.Screen is bright and awesome. Quick charging. 64GB! It's thinner than my last phone. I guess if you are a vain guy that feels embarrassed by not having the latest and greatest, the bezels may irk you. And also the fact that the body resembles the iPhone 6 & 7. But I am having lots of fun with it. Haven't had a chance to try out the Oreo-specific features yet. So far, I have only noticed slight cosmetic differences between Android 6 (my previous phone) and Android 8. Slightly more animation in the notification shade. Which is cute, I guess.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2018 20:32:53
    @Vice.Destroyer

Cheers for the write up. See I'm just side stepping really with coming from a pixel. I've always said I'd love to have a Nokia phone on Android so I'm happy to dive in. It will be my first Nokia handset since the N95. The extra storage will be handy for me. I can get 200 for my pixel as well so that pays for most of it.
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Feb 2018 21:04:19 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're coming from a Pixel, I think the first tangible thing that you will notice is that you have a headphone jack! I'll be glad to hear if you think that there is a massive difference between the fabled Pixel 2 camera and the Nokia 8 camera. Now I am going to look for Oreo tips and tricks.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2018 22:00:41
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    If you're coming from a Pixel, I think the first tangible thing that you will notice is that you have a headphone jack! I'll be glad to hear if you think that there is a massive difference between the fabled Pixel 2 camera and the Nokia 8 camera. Now I am going to look for Oreo tips and tricks.
    I do have a headphone jack. I have the original pixel not the pixel 2.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2018 13:22:52
    @Vice.Destroyer

How did your N8 do last night. She sleep ok?
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Feb 2018 15:37:48 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    She never sleeps. But I'm getting to grips with my new phone. Thankfully I'm still superficial enough to get a glow of joy when I have new tech. Trying to make time to discover all the additions to Oreo. Also, because my previously preferred keyboard, Swype, is no longer available, I'm taking more time to learn the gboard. So, it seems to have all the features I like. Multi-language support. Gestures for punctuation. Now I just need to find how to change the case of an already typed out word and how to select all, copy all, etc.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2018 15:39:40
    I've never used an alternative keyboard to the stock android one, so I guess I don't have that adapting issue.
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2018 17:13:49 27,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer changing the case is a bit of a hassle.
    Select the word.
    Tap shift

It's the select the word that's annoying. You need to do a long press
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Feb 2018 19:15:39 7,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tonka Yeah, Swype has certainly spoiled me over the years. But I'll get there. If people don't mind, I do have a tech support question. For some strange reason, I am having trouble with twitter, specifically loading images and sometimes refreshing my timeline. Using the same wifi access point, I have no issues using twitter on my laptop or tablets. Only on phones! I have uninstalled and reinstalled Twitter. I have no issues with Twitter when using my mobile data, as opposed to my wifi. Even using other wifi hotspots don't recreate the issues.

I have now got a new phone and the issue is still present on my new phone! On Wednesday I am changing broadband provider. (Not just because of this issue, but have gone with someone that is 10 cheaper than Sky). Has anybody got another idea? Maybe I am missing something?
  • Tonka 26 Feb 2018 10:37:45 27,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer I'm using their mobile web as opposed to their app. Never had a problem really. I guess there are some fancy features in the app that I'm missing out on but I'm struggling to see what that would be.

(Yes, push-notifications work from the web)
  • crashVoodoo 26 Feb 2018 12:56:44 5,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the GS9 looks exactly the same as the GS8 until you look at the back an see the placement of the fingerprint reader.

i'm no camera expert so what does changing the aperture get me ?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.