Android hardware Page 232

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2018 06:14:50 15,927 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was the carphone warehouse offer. They actually emailed me yesterday afternoon to say it was on its way.
  • Nitrous 27 Apr 2018 15:46:22 1,721 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe the honor 9 lite wasn't such a good deal.
    4GLTE frequency I don't think is supported by Tesco mobile.

3G speeds I guess.
  • THFourteen 27 Apr 2018 15:55:44 49,633 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My dual boot Chinese windows/android tablet arrived!

Been installing windows 10 update since last night, urgh sooooo slow.

Looks like android is limited to Lollipop 5.1 on this device. As long as i can use marvel unlimited and newsstand i'm ok with that.

Device seems solid enough! 130 bargain.
  • Dougs 27 Apr 2018 15:57:29 86,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't that the 2nd one of those that you've bought?
  • THFourteen 27 Apr 2018 16:03:32 49,633 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    erm...

and the rest.

sold the bulk of them on ebay, only got 2 now
  • Immaterial 27 Apr 2018 16:12:43 2,239 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not liking the change to Google news feed. I can't swipe away the cards any more.
  • Dougs 27 Apr 2018 16:13:29 86,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    erm...

and the rest.

sold the bulk of them on ebay, only got 2 now
    Lol, fool me once and all that!
  • HarryB 27 Apr 2018 23:15:43 7,347 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So Google told me to send the phone in. Sent it yesterday. They emailed me to say they have sent a replacement out today. Good service so far. Let's see what the replacement is like. Quoted me 10 day turnaround so was surprised to get that email today.
  • THFourteen 28 Apr 2018 07:51:29 49,633 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    STILL installing windows updates. FML.
  • Nitrous 29 Apr 2018 07:57:19 1,721 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very impressed with the Honor 9 Lite. Would have been great if it ran on stock Android 8.0 but EMUI doesn't seem that intrusive and I've been able to uninstall or disable some of the inbuilt apps.

My previous post regarding 4G speed isn't a problem. Seems this model LLD - L31 does indeed have Band 20 here in the UK. The plastic case it comes with is a bit naff but I've got a clear gel case coming and a pack of 3 screen protectors.
  • sport 30 Apr 2018 17:16:06 14,559 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Nitrous - any further thoughts on the Honor? I'm hovering over the buy button.

Was thinking about the Moto G6 Play but 720p display and older cpu puts me off a bit.
  • Nitrous 30 Apr 2018 18:22:49 1,721 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sport Just to add to the above the P smart and Honor 9 lite are almost identical but the Honor 9 does seem to have the better front facing camera and battery if the various reviews are to be believed.

Anyway, yeah the Honor I'm very pleased with. Just been taking some photo's outside of our cat in the last bit of sunshine tonight and I'm happy with the results.

Charged up yesterday morning and its only now on 20% so not to bad
  • sport 30 Apr 2018 18:27:23 14,559 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Nitrous - thanks, was gonna asked about the battery. I'm far from a power user so happy if I could get about 2 days out of it.

@Ingram85 - Yeah I guess the G6 is a good buy but as you said, it's 50 more. Then while we're at that price range, why not stretch it a bit more and get something even better and repeat...

I've had a Huawei (EE Kestrel) for the last 3 years which I picked up on ebay for 50 and it's served me brilliantly so I trust the brand.
  • BurnoutJunkie 30 Apr 2018 21:38:03 1,014 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Hah. Sorry, this made me laugh.

Maybe it's dual-installing that update, eh? ;-)
  • HarryB 30 Apr 2018 22:45:23 7,347 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    So Google told me to send the phone in. Sent it yesterday. They emailed me to say they have sent a replacement out today. Good service so far. Let's see what the replacement is like. Quoted me 10 day turnaround so was surprised to get that email today.
    Mint condition replacement arrived today. Woohoo
  • Tonka 1 May 2018 05:56:47 28,356 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's good news. Wonder if they'll every launch in Sweden...
  • BurnoutJunkie 1 May 2018 09:44:31 1,014 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka What, no Pixel in Sweden?
  • Tonka 2 May 2018 06:24:17 28,356 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think (although nothing official has been said) that they won't launch pixels or homes in any country where the Assistant isn't available in the native tongue.

The Assistant has been announced for release in Sweden, for sometime this year, so maybe the Pixel 3 will be available. I'm holding out for the Pixel 4 though. I think that's where they'll really find their footing in the hardware business.

Not saying 2 is anything but a great phone but the whole secret chip that still isn't used (is it?) thing makes me think they're still exploring.
  • crashVoodoo 2 May 2018 08:23:12 5,952 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Secret chip? I read about the one for imaging, you mean that one?
  • THFourteen 2 May 2018 09:18:09 49,633 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Hah. Sorry, this made me laugh.

Maybe it's dual-installing that update, eh? ;-)
    FUCKING APRIL 30 WINDOWS UPDATE ARE YOU KIDDING ME
  • Tonka 2 May 2018 09:35:29 28,356 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Yeah, not so secret I guess. Extra surprise chip. That I'm still unsure of whether they're using or not.
  • Nitrous 2 May 2018 17:08:46 1,721 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sport

Few more thoughts. Firstly don't bother with the widamin 3 pack screen protector from amazon. It does leave a gap on both sides of the screen more than what the picture shows and a new review on the 1st May seems to agree.

The clear case from the talking shop does the job though.

Lastly and this could be me but I've managed to turn vibrate off on notifications but when I put the phone into vibrate mode at work I then have to go back into notification settings for each app to turn vibrate back on. Can't figure out how to split the two like I could on the Moto G4
  • sport 3 May 2018 08:47:58 14,559 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    @sport

Few more thoughts. Firstly don't bother with the widamin 3 pack screen protector from amazon. It does leave a gap on both sides of the screen more than what the picture shows and a new review on the 1st May seems to agree.

The clear case from the talking shop does the job though.

Lastly and this could be me but I've managed to turn vibrate off on notifications but when I put the phone into vibrate mode at work I then have to go back into notification settings for each app to turn vibrate back on. Can't figure out how to split the two like I could on the Moto G4
    Cheers mate, I bit the bullet and bought one last night - going for 149 at ao.com

Will explore the options/settings when it arrives and get your vibrator working in no time.

ooh matron!
  • Not-a-reviewer 3 May 2018 10:05:39 5,305 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Yeah, not so secret I guess. Extra surprise chip. That I'm still unsure of whether they're using or not.
    It was enabled in February.
  • Tonka 3 May 2018 10:39:05 28,356 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But are Google using it for anything? Last I read about it (probably around february) they opened it up and enabled it for third parties, but Google themselves had no use for it.

Which is a bit of a fuck up tbh.

Then again, maybe they use it for internal evaluation of stuff they're keeping under wraps. Like that "sticking AR things to uneven surfaces and walls" demo Clay Bavore tweeted.

So my thinking is, two more generations for the HTC purchase to bear fruit and the random tests they're doing to have rendered results. Pixel 4 will be when Google hit their stride.
  • brokenkey 3 May 2018 11:20:27 9,845 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    But are Google using it for anything? Last I read about it (probably around february) they opened it up and enabled it for third parties, but Google themselves had no use for it.
    https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/pixel-visual-core-image-processing-and-machine-learning-pixel-2/
  • Tonka 3 May 2018 12:58:56 28,356 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So... no?
  • Pierre2k 3 May 2018 13:25:11 1,045 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    b0rk wrote:
    Moto G6 out soon, Feeling tempted but the 4GB model exclusive to Amazon? Fucking why?
    Even worse if you want the Moto G6 Plus which is exclusive to Carphone Warehouse in the UK.

For what it's worth, I'm currently writing this on a Moto G5 Plus and it's an excellent phone. Very smooth, plays everything I've thrown at it, nigh-on barebones android, but with some legitimately useful Motorola additions (karate chop torch, twist camera, and using the fingerprint scanner as a touch pad which frees up screen real estate by getting rid of the on screen buttons). Battery life is also excellent. Even with heavy use, I've never had it run out (I charge every night though).

The only thing that hints at it not being a high end phone is the camera. It's still decent and ive got plenty of good shots, but it doesn't compare with the high end Apple and Samsung snappers these days.

I ended up getting a grey import G5 Plus through eGlobal Central. Great price, but I couldn't say I recommend the site as such. Some horror stories out there and their website is awful (I cant get into my account or reset my password with them for example). That said, they did send me the phone quickly, and without issue. As long as the phone isn't broken on arrival, you're sorted, but it's a total gamble.

Edited by Pierre2k at 13:25:33 03-05-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.