Android hardware Page 233

• Tonka 3 May 2018 13:34:02 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm a big Moto fan but I can't for the life of me work out what all their different models do.
  • Nitrous 4 May 2018 07:09:13 1,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sport

Haha yeah thanks :lol:

If you are interested maybe go for a screen protector like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-RIFFUE-Shatterproof-Protective-Anti-glare/dp/B078PGVT2S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1525414033&sr=8-5&keywords=honor+9+lite+screen+protector&dpID=51gNFFD4npL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by Nitrous at 07:13:11 04-05-2018
  • Huggybear 8 May 2018 13:27:44 1,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can I get some input from Nokia 8 owners now that you've had your devices for a while?

Need a new phone, and it seems like a bargain at 340 currently. Was waiting for the Oneplus 6, but getting turned off by the fact it's yet another glass sandwich design with a notched screen. Plus, it'll probably be around 600.

Nokia 8 seems pretty good on paper, except for the mediocre / poor camera?

Edited by Huggybear at 13:29:10 08-05-2018
  • mrpon 9 May 2018 08:45:39 34,847 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My firmware (S7) auto-updated yesterday and now there is a slight delay when pressing the home button before the notifications appear on the lock screen.

This narks me, any solutions?

Edited by mrpon at 08:46:02 09-05-2018
  • THFourteen 9 May 2018 09:31:09 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only 5.7% of phones/tablets have Android Oreo and they are already working on Android Poo

I wonder why they continue to bother.
  • Tonka 9 May 2018 10:26:43 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those were my thoughts exactly when watching the I/O keynote last night. A ton of cool stuff that we won't see for say... two years because handset makers have no incentive to look after already sold phones.

I'm still on Android 7 ffs.

No wonder they started making their own phones.

That said, many new APIs are backward compatible so even old timers like me get to reap some of the benefits. Next time I upgrade I'll get myself a Pixel though.
  • brokenkey 9 May 2018 11:14:25 10,001 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maybe buy from a phone manufacturer which has a good record in releasing updates?

/sent from my Oneplus5, nearly 1 year old, on Oreo 8.1
  • Darth_Flibble 9 May 2018 11:15:34 3,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sold my Moto g5 and got Nokia 6 (2018 version) really happy with it, camera is much better, constant updates and lack of contempt for the users of their phone!.
  • Tonka 9 May 2018 11:17:25 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Maybe buy from a phone manufacturer which has a good record in releasing updates?

/sent from my Oneplus5, nearly 1 year old, on Oreo 8.1
    I thought OnePlus were running some weird ass launcher
  • brokenkey 9 May 2018 11:25:42 10,001 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No. There's a "left home screen" thing (recent apps, contacts), but its as close to base android as you can get. Even to the extent that all of the Oneplus specific bits are delivered via Google Play store, so you can delete them. Heck, the official forums are full of employees explaining how to install Dev versions of the google firmwares.

Edited by brokenkey at 11:28:04 09-05-2018
  • Sharz 9 May 2018 11:35:43 1,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The day I can't get fully working custom roms of the latest android is the day I buy a new phone. My LeMax 2 imported from China is still flying along and on Oreo. Despite the fact the manufacturer has gone out of business and never launched in Europe.

Would always reccommed custom roms. Sure you can break your phone temporarily, but it is almost always recoverable if you put a bit of time into trawling forums.

Edited by Sharz at 11:45:00 09-05-2018
  • Darth_Flibble 9 May 2018 11:48:45 3,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doesn't custom roms break banking apps still?
  • Tonka 9 May 2018 11:49:36 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @brokenkey cool. My colleague had the OnePlus 1 and wasn't too pleased. Sounds like they sorted their shit out.
  • Tonka 9 May 2018 11:51:32 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was so pleased with my super midrange SONY phone I borrowed a while back that I'm tempted to go SONY. Seeing as they're actively supporting custom ROMs I could be all vanilla Android and still support my home town.
  • Sharz 9 May 2018 11:58:38 1,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Only if you haven't setup Magisk. Most custom roms come with it these days or you can install it yourself. It basically hides root/rom status from apps like banking apps. Both my Tesco Bank and Nationwide apps work on this phone and I am running AEX as my rom.

Edited by Sharz at 11:59:59 09-05-2018
  • Huggybear 9 May 2018 12:12:08 1,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A lot of the devices running older versions of Android are old and cheap, and you might say 5.7% out of 2 billion devices isn't that bad.

Some major manufacturers could do much better though. I think my Galaxy S6 -which was a flagship phone- got Android 7 just around the time Android 8 was released as a developer preview. How can it take a company with those resources more than eight months to slap their skin on top of the latest Android release (which they've no doubt got their hands on much earlier as well).

That said, there are a fair few phones running pure Android these days, like phones in the Android One program, or most of the Nokia ones.
  • Barrel_Trollz 9 May 2018 12:21:52 772 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka I got an xz1 compact a month ago and it's lovely! The battery is a standout point, I haven't been able to run the thing down yet, and it's very nippy with good call quality too, all while being a little smaller.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 May 2018 12:30:34 3,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sharz wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Only if you haven't setup Magisk. Most custom roms come with it these days or you can install it yourself. It basically hides root/rom status from apps like banking apps. Both my Tesco Bank and Nationwide apps work on this phone and I am running AEX as my rom.
    thanks, good to know if the Nokia updates do dry up
  • brokenkey 9 May 2018 13:11:16 10,001 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @brokenkey cool. My colleague had the OnePlus 1 and wasn't too pleased. Sounds like they sorted their shit out.
    Strange - I had one of those too and at the time it was amazing and a bargain. OnePlus2 - not so much.
  • crashVoodoo 9 May 2018 17:40:24 6,159 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    2 XL 64gb unl mins/txts 15gb 38pm

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/google-pixel-2-xl-deals/
    Why have pixel 2 xl's on contract gone back up in price? They seem to all be 56+ with a decent data bundle and a free handset.

Only way to get it cheaper is to fork over a hundred notes to get it to the same contract price it was 4 months ago... WTF?
  • THFourteen 9 May 2018 17:48:51 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Back when i had my S5 that stopped getting supported after about a year (thanks samdung) i went down the custom rom route. Most of them were good enough but always the odd issue, battery drain, force stop etc which was irritating.

But i dont know if that magisk or whatever existed back then, i used to try and use roothide and a lot of things like banking and sky go wouldnt work with that enabled. Maybe tech has moved on now?

Either way if i went back to android i would get a phone that supported native OS for sure, never a samdung again.

Am enjoying my dual boot Chuwi tablet though, spending most of the time in Android (5.1) mainly for comic reading. Might have to upgrade to a newer one!
  • Beetroot_Bertie 17 May 2018 11:18:03 426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A 1st March '18 security update is available for Moto G5 users on the retgb software channel today.

I didn't receive a notification though, just got it via a manual check. Better late than never I guess - maybe they're working on a quartery update schedule?
  • Vice.Destroyer 22 May 2018 06:03:21 7,210 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Can I get some input from Nokia 8 owners now that you've had your devices for a while?

Need a new phone, and it seems like a bargain at 340 currently. Was waiting for the Oneplus 6, but getting turned off by the fact it's yet another glass sandwich design with a notched screen. Plus, it'll probably be around 600.

Nokia 8 seems pretty good on paper, except for the mediocre / poor camera?
    If you still need advice on this, that is a perfect summary of my experience of the Nokia 8. Very good phone. But a relatively poor camera. Great in great lighting conditions. Poor once it gets darker.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 26 May 2018 21:33:09 7,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can anyone help with a small but annoying problem I've got?

Just transferred from iPhone to Android and I'm signing into all my apps, but when I'm doing that the phone is auto-suggesting old email address I no longer user or have access to.

For example, in Pocket Cast, here's the suggestions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgydnqby6ylif1d/Screenshot_20180526-212159__01.jpg?dl=0

To be clear, it's not in Chrome, it's in other apps where this is happening.

Any advice about how to remove the erroneous suggestions much appreciated!
  • crashVoodoo 26 May 2018 23:14:51 6,159 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Pac-man-ate-my-wife New phone running Oreo ?
    Google expanded the autofill from Chrome/websites to apps.
    You should be able to manage them via the google passwords page of your account. Sign in here and scroll down and look for the app name.

https://passwords.google.com/settings/passwords?

If you want to turn it off its in settings > language & input > autofill iirc

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:18:14 26-05-2018
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 27 May 2018 00:08:35 7,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

Yep, 8.1.0.

Thanks, that's very useful to know but sadly it doesn't seem to allow me to remove the old/unused email addresses it's suggesting.
  • arty 29 May 2018 13:54:06 446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Sold my Moto g5 and got Nokia 6 (2018 version) really happy with it, camera is much better, constant updates and lack of contempt for the users of their phone!.
    I got one of these too. My free Google Home Mini just turned up as well.
  • Deleted user 4 June 2018 13:18:17
    Not really a hardware question (is there a generic Android thread? EG forum search is fucked for me), but does anyone know how to turn off trending stories in the Google app? 'Settings > Auto-complete > Show trending stories' is a filthy lie, disabling it does nothing. All I get is bloody Coronation Street and Love Island articles.

Google earning that ad revenue, hard.
  • Tonka 4 Jun 2018 13:54:24 28,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't there a three dot menu where you can say "Not interested in coronation street"? I actually get rather good suggestions in the news roll.
  • monkehhh 4 Jun 2018 14:12:28 5,019 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @GarlVinland that setting effects the 'standalone' search box that you might have on your home screen. I think you need to turn off your feed to get rid of the stories in the full Google app. Google have been consistently making the feed experience worse - I've just turned it all off because I can't turn off all the news / stories and just get important to me stuff (deliveries, upcoming things, travel times, etc.).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.