Android hardware Page 241

• mrpon 18 Oct 2018 20:23:58 34,847 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup, had it over a year and never realised!
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Oct 2018 18:59:52 3,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hopefully this will kill the notch design

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/in-screen-fingerprint-reader-samsungs-working-on-in-screen-everything

The slide briefly describes an Under Panel Sensor, or UPS, that will likely house a camera (i.e. image sensor) in addition to other sensors. There are also plans to implement haptics beneath the screen, or HoD, which we imagine would work similar to Apple’s 3D Touch on iOS devices. Finally, the slide reveals plans for sound on display technology, or SoD, as in front-facing speakers and earphones beneath the display.
  • gamecat 19 Oct 2018 19:54:12 807 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The camera is the sticking point, you can put in a pop out slider thing but it's fragile AF. The One plus 6T is out at the end of the month has an under-screen fingerprint reader, and a teardrop sized notch for the camera only.
  • THFourteen 20 Oct 2018 07:18:16 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Forget YouTube and install YouTubevanced instead.
    This was a fantastic recommendation. Anyone got any others for someone who hasn't used android in a while?

Here is what I currently use http://imgur.com/pfdXOUm
  • FredClintstone 20 Oct 2018 09:06:31 104 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @chessboxer what's the camera like on the XZ3? I'm tempted to upgrade from my XZ I've had for nearly two years, but last time I browsed Sony phones they were putting low mp cameras in.
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Oct 2018 09:29:27 7,210 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen You are A Marvel Unlimited subscriber? My man! I don't read on my phone, it's just too small, but I did buy an iPad just for that app. Also, please, please tell me what that icon pack is. I need it in my life.
  • AddyJB 21 Oct 2018 10:00:03 545 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    @THFourteen You are A Marvel Unlimited subscriber? My man! I don't read on my phone, it's just too small, but I did buy an iPad just for that app. Also, please, please tell me what that icon pack is. I need it in my life.
    I bought a huawei mediapad just for my marvel unlimited sub :)
  • chessboxer 21 Oct 2018 21:33:58 319 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FredClintstone wrote:
    @chessboxer what's the camera like on the XZ3? I'm tempted to upgrade from my XZ I've had for nearly two years, but last time I browsed Sony phones they were putting low mp cameras in.
    I haven't taken any photos yet but the rear camera is 19MP and the front is 13MP. Most newer phones seem to be moving too dual cameras now but they are lower resolution than the XZ3 front camera.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 22 Oct 2018 07:07:43 349 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never had a Huawei phone but the mate 20 pro looks very nice.

Tempted to preorder to get the wireless charger and smartwatch free. Watch doesn't look that great but its not bad for free!
  • Tonka 22 Oct 2018 08:26:18 28,762 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @FredClintstone it's a good camera but Sony don't usually do the whole saturate and HDR thing that make other manufacturers (Apple, Samsung, Google) photos 'pop'

You can do that in an app afterwards though so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Edited by Tonka at 08:27:30 22-10-2018
  • MrFlay 24 Oct 2018 16:27:12 3,866 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got the 8.1 update for my Moto G5. It's much faster. Very slick so far. Quite surprised Lenovo have bothered. Support has been good since the over a year wait for the first security patch.
  • THFourteen 26 Oct 2018 10:17:29 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK virtual jaffa for anyone who can help me with the below. I've googled and googled but i dont think there is a solution.

I have 2 phones, 1 iOS and 1 Android. My work doesn't support Android so i can't ditch the iOS device.

I have 1 smartwatch.

Basically i want to move my number over to the android device, use it for whatsapp, sms, gmail and sync it with my smartwatch, but i want to recieve notifications of my work emails on the smartwatch too (and facetime calls as my parents use facetime to see the grandkids).

So i need to do one of the below i think:

1) Pushing my notifications from the iOS device to the Android device. It looks like there was an app called Pushbullet that used to do this but i dont think it works anymore

2) Buying a smartwatch that can connet to two phones at once. DO these even exist?

3) Somehow setting up my android device to pretend to be a smartwatch, so that the iphone can send notifications to it.

Ideas?
  • THFourteen 26 Oct 2018 10:20:52 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    So i am running MIUI 10 which is a Xiaomi skin over 8.1. It has a "theme" app, normally i hate this kind of bloatware, but by all accounts it isn't too bad, and when i saw the star wars theme i had to have it :-)

The phone is just big enough to read landscape and the width of the page to the width of the phone if that makes sense. Or use the smart panel view works ok too

Edited by THFourteen at 10:21:29 26-10-2018
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2018 10:55:09 75,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If your work emails don't support android I assume it's for security reasons, so pushing them onto another device might be a Neddy no-no. You might want to look into that.
  • THFourteen 26 Oct 2018 11:04:07 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @nickthegun

Not pushing the emails, just pushing the notifications.

From what I understand they gave up on android because they couldn't cope with the issues raised by the multitude of devices and OS versions.
  • Tonka 26 Oct 2018 11:12:17 28,762 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @THFourteen I think the only solution is that you start receiving your work emails on your private phone. But there seems like you can't do that or maybe you don't want them there.
  • THFourteen 26 Oct 2018 11:22:15 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka

They are actually both private phones, work give you an iphone 5, which is in a drawer somewhere and i prefer to use my X (for obvious reasons!)

No problems having my work email on an ios device. They just hate android.
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2018 11:22:51 75,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, ok. You might want to widen your search a bit more generically because there are (paid for) services that will push iPhone notifications to browsers with a plugin, so I can't see why they wouldn't also push them to android, too.
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2018 11:23:20 75,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pushover, that's the bastard.
  • Load_2.0 26 Oct 2018 11:55:33 28,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That reads like the script from the bad scenario in a training video for Cyber Security.
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2018 12:00:35 75,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Funnily enough, I recently had a tabletop workshop for incident response to people using their BYOD devices to exfiltrate data and use them as an attack vector to get malware onto the system.

It was indeed a thrill a minute.
  • Alastair 26 Oct 2018 12:06:07 22,844 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    ..exfiltrate data..
    and use them as an attack vector...
    Are you trying to sound like you're on Star Trek?
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2018 12:10:25 75,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Check the attack vector, Victor.
  • Tonka 26 Oct 2018 12:25:25 28,762 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun you should make a Space Team styled mobile game out of it.
  • chessboxer 26 Oct 2018 13:33:50 319 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I see that Samsung (and Apple) are being fined for slowing their devices down by providing updates that aren't fully supported by the device, effectively forcing people to buy new devices. Apparently this has happened in Italy.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-samsung-fined-for-slowing-down-phones-with-updates/

If Samsung didn't take the piss (Snapdragon 835 in a 2018 flagship device? FUCK YOU!), I would have purchased the Galaxy Tab S4 tablet when it came out.
  • AcidSnake 26 Oct 2018 14:12:54 8,012 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep...

France also has a case running, though I think that's just against Apple...
  • Kay 29 Oct 2018 16:04:05 19,770 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    No one interested in the Huawei Mate 20 Pro? If I was buying a new phone this year it would be that. Unlike just about every other flagship this year I can't see any major area that it's lacking on paper. Lack of a headphone port is a shame, but all phones are heading that way.
    Yeah, just reading reviews of this and it looks great. Seriously considering upgrading to it from my S7. Only the proprietary memory card support, and lack of headphone jack are making me think twice. Oh, and the price as well, obviously.
  • BurnoutJunkie 1 Nov 2018 21:06:40 1,079 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can anyone recommend an Android tablet that's not an Amazon Kindle? Looking to upgrade my niece's Nexus 7 which she's had for a good while but is probably on its last legs. Ideally want to avoid a Samsung and maybe something around the 7/8" screen size mark. Hopefully something without lots of bloatware too. Though would consider a Samsung if someone can assure me that they don't have crazy bloatware anymore.

Want to spend around £2-300 tops. Cheaper the better, but don't want something totally crap.

Thanks.
  • pk1980 1 Nov 2018 21:37:49 1,158 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maybe look at Lenovo, some of their models are pretty good, albeit I can't remember exact ones.
  • THFourteen 1 Nov 2018 21:47:29 50,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or the Xiaomi mi pad 4

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.