Android hardware Page 255

• Vice.Destroyer 24 May 2020 17:32:24 7,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know the world is upside down and nobody gives a shit about mobiles right now, but in case some of us in this thread have their priorities skewed, like myself, you can get the Honor 20 Pro £329.

Apparently, it is a smidge below the Huawei P30 Pro in terms of its capabilities. Worth a punt. If the offer is still around in August, when my contract is up, I'll go for it myself.
  • Jono62 24 May 2020 17:40:49 26,345 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going for either the next Google phone or One Plus.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2020 12:35:36 883 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Pixel really doesn't present best value for money anymore, the OnePlus 8 is disgustingly good value for top spec phone. I really can't see myself owning a Pixel ever again.

Edited by Razz at 21:16:21 02-06-2020
  • b-rk 1 Jun 2020 15:18:48 1,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I know the world is upside down and nobody gives a shit about mobiles right now, but in case some of us in this thread have their priorities skewed, like myself, you can get the Honor 20 Pro £329.

Apparently, it is a smidge below the Huawei P30 Pro in terms of its capabilities. Worth a punt. If the offer is still around in August, when my contract is up, I'll go for it myself.
    I have the Honor 20 regular (I'm not pro) and it's a pretty good phone with one fairly bad flaw, very low volume for media and music. There are apps that can help with that but they can be a bit inconsistent. That was enough for me to get another phone and use the 20 as a back up. Something to consider or perhaps that won't be a problem 4u.
  • StixxUK 1 Jun 2020 19:08:36 8,524 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just sitting around waiting for the OnePlus Z... Or maybe the Pixel 4A... Or maybe for them both to come and realise I actually just want a OnePlus 8 pro...

Edited by StixxUK at 19:08:44 01-06-2020
  • nudistpete 1 Jun 2020 23:06:16 1,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I still love my HONOR 20 PRO, even though it's sending all my dick pics to the Chinese communist party. Joke's on them - I WANT them to see my flaccid sweaty knob. Not noticed any volume issues. The biggest issue is the overzealous battery management which will kill older/poorly written apps that run in the background unless you remember to go and neuter them on a per-app basis.
  • fontgeeksogood 1 Jun 2020 23:09:50 11,986 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    I WANT them to see my flaccid sweaty knob. Not noticed any volume issues.
    That's not what she said
  • chessboxer 2 Jun 2020 00:36:10 375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Xperia 1 II is looking very good however, I don't really need to upgrade my Xperia XZ3 quite yet. I can wait another 18+ months.
  • Tonka 2 Jun 2020 08:09:18 31,560 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes, that Xperia 1 MkII is rather sexy. I've no need for it at all, but it's tempting me to ditch my mid-range lifestyle.

Would probably jailbreak the shit out of it and instal clean android. As long as the camera app would work.
  • Dougs 2 Jun 2020 08:12:58 97,446 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My 3a has stopped charging rapidly. I am sure it's a software bug rather than hardware, but have ordered another cable to see.
  • Zerobob 2 Jun 2020 13:02:36 2,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The battery on my OnePlus 3T is pretty much screwed (otherwise I'd hang on to it) so I'm looking for a snappy phone (so probably not a budget Android) and something with good battery life.

I'm actually tempted by the base model 64GB iPhone 11, but I've never owned an iPhone. Alternatively, maybe a 128GB OnePlus 7T?

The OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 8 Pro just seem too expensive for an Android phone, when I could just buy an iPhone 11 for around the same money, which has a better camera, user experience, build, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of worth in the £400-500 price bracket anymore sadly. Anyone got any recommendations?
  • Dougs 2 Jun 2020 13:14:46 97,446 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New Iphone SE?
  • nickthegun 2 Jun 2020 13:24:34 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you can stretch to the difference, you cant really go wrong with the iphone 11. Best phone ive ever had.
  • Tonka 2 Jun 2020 14:17:50 31,560 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They last for years and has pretty decent resale values too. So if you can put up the cash you'll end up having a lower HW cost per year down the line.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jun 2020 15:27:47 2,371 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Dougs I've had varied success with fast chargers and fast charging cables with my HTC, chargers seem to frequently fail (ie become slow chargers) and cables seem to do the same. Try a new fast charger and cable first.
  • MrWorf 2 Jun 2020 15:49:07 63,994 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Huggybear 2 Jun 2020 18:48:06 1,806 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:

The OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 8 Pro just seem too expensive for an Android phone, when I could just buy an iPhone 11 for around the same money, which has a better camera, user experience, build, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of worth in the £400-500 price bracket anymore sadly. Anyone got any recommendations?
    Those Oneplus phones have excellent build quality, and the screen are miles and miles ahead of the iPhone 11. Once you get used to a 90Hz OLED screen it's really hard to go back to a 60Hz LCD.

However, after having had the 7 Pro for a year, I've come to the conclusion that it really is too big. Doesn't fit comfortably into any kind of pocket, it's annoying to carry even in most jacket pockets.

That screen though, and the pop up camera (because there are no unsightly notches or holes).... wonderful.

In that price range you might consider the Pixel 3a, or the very soon to be released 4a?
  • Zerobob 2 Jun 2020 21:07:41 2,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

I'm still favouring turning to the dark side and getting the iPhone 11, aside from the online tech reviewer advice being to wait for the iPhone 12, but isn't the advice always to wait for the newer more expensive version?

The iPhone 11 looks like a solid piece of hardware and I appreciate the value of good hardware at a higher up-front cost, that's why I buy Macbooks. My only reservation is that all phones in particular are limited by the lifetime of their battery... and then they're a paperweight. The same surely applies to the iPhone 11.
  • nudistpete 2 Jun 2020 21:19:32 1,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    My only reservation is that all phones in particular are limited by the lifetime of their battery... and then they're a paperweight. The same surely applies to the iPhone 11.
    There's a whole cottage industry in replacing iPhone batteries, so why worry? If you're in it for the long term just factor in £100 to have the battery replaced in 4 years time.
  • nickthegun 2 Jun 2020 21:24:01 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dunno about the 11, obvs, but I paid 30 quid to our local phone repair shop to stick a new battery into my old iPhone 7 before I gave it to the girl last year and itís like new.

Nothing really has user replaceable batteries anymore but economies of scale seem to mean a lot of places will do a. iPhone battery if nothing else.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Jun 2020 21:27:36 11,986 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There are multiple reasons why this isn't great, but I just buy the reviewed 'best' Chinese cheapo about every two years.

The main reason (other than being tight) is that dual SIM is a must as I don't want to carry a work and a personal phone around / keep them charged
  • Deleted user 2 June 2020 21:45:52
    @Zerobob

Wife has the iphone 11 and loves it. Its a really nice phone. Im too invested in android to switch myself though.
  • paulboy81 2 Jun 2020 22:02:44 401 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    ...but I just buy the reviewed 'best' Chinese cheapo about every two years.
    This really.

Me and the wife both swear by our Xiaomi phones. We've had a few and can't really fault them if I'm honest, especially if you're willing to shop around.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Jun 2020 22:07:26 11,986 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My kink is Asian governments looking at selfies of my garbage so I tend to go for Honor / Huawei
  • b-rk 2 Jun 2020 22:12:07 1,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I considered getting a Mi 9 Pro just to play around with but something about Xiaomi phones having ads put me off. Then a nerd said something about Lineage and my eyes glazed over. Dunno.
  • BurnoutJunkie 2 Jun 2020 22:22:44 1,188 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Zerobob If you're looking to keep the same phone for maybe 3-4 or even more years, I'd suggest waiting for the iPhone 12 which should come 5G-ready. I updated from an iPhone 6 to iPhone 11 last year (my 6 was really slow and battery wasn't great). It's a great phone but I have a small tinge or regret that I didn't hold out one more year. I tend to keep the same phone for 4-5 years where possible. Obviously we don't have full 5G coverage, but I'm sure it'll improve significantly well before I'm due to get a new phone.
  • Tonka 3 Jun 2020 07:30:59 31,560 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I'm still favouring turning to the dark side and getting the iPhone 11,
    Are you used to iOS though? Every time I have to help my son adjust something on his iPad I end up really confused as to why iOS has gotten the Nice UX label. I think it's a confusing mess.

I know that is partially because I'm not used to it, but I've honestly never seen anything that has made me go "Oh, nice! Wish that was on android".

But if you have an iPad and you feel comfortable using that then splurge on the iPhone. They have the best chips after all.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2020 08:54:54 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I flit between the two relatively often (and the Mrs is firmly android) and they have both matured to the point where I genuinely can't see what you would find confusing going either way.

They share so many designs cues and anything that isn't immediately obvious can be quickly searched for in both.
  • Dougs 3 Jun 2020 09:00:20 97,446 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, for the most part it's just not being used to the OS. I get a bit lost trying to find my way around my wife's iPhone, but it's all there - just not where I am used to it being.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.