Android hardware Page 257

• AceGrace 24 Sep 2020 10:39:00 3,373 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Need to update my phone. Stuck on Android 8 with no security updates. I have a Xaomi 5 Plus (I think).

Looking to buy preferrably an unlocked phone second hand. Budget about 200.

Any thoughts?
  • Decks 24 Sep 2020 10:39:17 28,417 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    That is a ballache. I used that a lot.
    Can you not just do the hand swipe thing?
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2020 10:43:44 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Always find gestures a bit of a faff. I'll give it a go though, can't be more cackhanded than power and volume down on my phone
  • Decks 24 Sep 2020 10:47:00 28,417 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just swipe it with the bottom of your hand. Like the karate chop bit. Has that got a name?
  • Decks 24 Sep 2020 10:52:41 28,417 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently its the knife edge of your hand. Swipe it with the knife edge, works pretty much flawlessly for me.
  • dfunked09 24 Sep 2020 10:57:50 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Can you remap Bixby yet? Without third party faff.
    Yeah, don't think you can turn it off completely but I've got single press set to open chrome and double to open Bixby which I haven't opened by accident since making the change. Hopefully they get rid of the dickhead completely soon.

I know it's nowhere near vanilla android, but Samsung are pretty decent these days I find. I'll probably go for a pixel or OnePlus for my next phone, but no real gripes with this.
  • Baihu1983 29 Sep 2020 17:39:35 13,130 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How do you reset the always open with feature?

Seems I've set it to samsung Internet browser
  • Zerobob 29 Sep 2020 18:26:01 2,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Baihu1983 Settings > Apps > Default apps

Or if you want the "Always open with" choice back, go to Settings > Apps.

Next, click the app you've chosen as the default > Advanced > Open by default > Clear defaults

Edited by Zerobob at 18:31:27 29-09-2020
  • Baihu1983 29 Sep 2020 19:32:05 13,130 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Zerobob excellent. Thanks
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2020 06:15:03 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If anyone is considering a new Pixel,if you order the 5 or 4a 5G, they're throwing in a pair of Bose QC 35 II. Which is a pretty good deal imo.
  • Tonka 1 Oct 2020 07:32:02 31,560 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Pixel 5 is the first Pixel where I have no objections at all. Looks great, big ass battery, pure android with Google extras on top, decent price.

Oh... not available in Sweden.

But if it was I think I would have replaced my Moto One Vision.
  • StixxUK 1 Oct 2020 07:57:49 8,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    If anyone is considering a new Pixel,if you order the 5 or 4a 5G, they're throwing in a pair of Bose QC 35 II. Which is a pretty good deal imo.
    That is indeed a good deal! When are they launching?

Need a couple of reviews to compare with the S20 FE

On the face of it S20 wins on specs

Pixel slightly cheaper and free headphones (which I don't really need).

Edited by StixxUK at 08:12:22 01-10-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Jan 2021 18:38:28 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do phone batteries suddenly die? I have an 'HTC U11 a bit over two years old that in the last few days seems to be suddenly losing charge a lot quicker than normal, I've done all the usual things, checking battery usage, restarting, googling various hacks. I would of expected a battery to die off more gradually.
  • mrharvest 2 Jan 2021 01:16:56 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin In my experience yeah, that's exactly how it goes. After you hit a magic number of charge cycles the cells start to lose capacity quickly.

But also batteries hold less charge if they're cold, so maybe that could be a factor too in this case?

I've ordered a new phone to replace my 3 year old Sony that's stuck in Android 7. It's Teracube 2e, which incidentally has a user replaceable battery (and 4 year warranty).
  • dfunked09 2 Jan 2021 11:20:01 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I really do miss easily replaceable batteries. I'm in no real rush to move on from my S10+, but will probably end up replacing it this year. Planned obsolescence at its finest!

Suppose I could always get a phone repair place to change it if starts to noticeably degrade.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jan 2021 11:24:43 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @mrharvest thanks, guess it's goosed then, I'll see if I can find someone to change the battery, piece of junk, it actually loses charge when I'm using it and it's plugged into a charger, I'm an HTC whore so there's nothing else I want.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 11:29:21 02-01-2021
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Jan 2021 12:47:13 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    I really do miss easily replaceable batteries. I'm in no real rush to move on from my S10+, but will probably end up replacing it this year. Planned obsolescence at its finest!

Suppose I could always get a phone repair place to change it if starts to noticeably degrade.
    Yeah, getting rid of this in the high end phones was annoying (and not sure if even the low end still has any user replacable battery equipped phones now). After losing my S5 (which managed to be both waterproof AND have a replacable battery despite waterproofing being the common excuse used now) I had to import an LG V20 to replace it as no domestic models had battery replacement without a spec drop. Sadly when that phine was getting a bit old there were no viable choices so ended up with a discounted Mate 20Pro (after the Android being stopped dropped the prices) which will probably need replacing sooner than I would like because of the battery...
  • Load_2.0 2 Jan 2021 13:29:43 32,505 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:

The Trade-in on the Samsung site is pretty good if you do get a new phone. Up to 300 for an S10+

I had some bullshit from their trade in service but eventually got the trade in value.
  • mrharvest 2 Jan 2021 13:32:09 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Load_2.0 I lived 3 years in Korea and I will never buy anything from Samsung again (:

But yeah, not many replaceable batteries anymore. The main option is Fairphone. I went with Teracube because I don't feel like carrying anything expensive in my pocket (yes, I've been mugged).
  • Kilters 11 Jan 2021 22:13:20 630 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My trusty S8+ finally started having battery issues so I agonised over what to get. S20, S20 FE or Pixel 5.
    Was very close to getting the FE but subsequently saw it was sold out, especially the 5g version which has the qualcomm chipset. It was also 750 euro.
    Took a punt on the Pixel 5. 618 euro. Delighted with it. Very fast. Does everything solidly and reliably. Lightweight and the battery life is incredible. 9 hours screen on time on day 1 and still had 15 percent battery left.

Highly recommended.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Jan 2021 04:53:48 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Do phone batteries suddenly die? I have an 'HTC U11 a bit over two years old that in the last few days seems to be suddenly losing charge a lot quicker than normal, I've done all the usual things, checking battery usage, restarting, googling various hacks. I would of expected a battery to die off more gradually.
    So having done some googling and ringing around of a few local places I've booked it in for a replacement battery, I'm not exactly brimming with confidence as some immediately refused as an HTC is too complicated to change, some sigted not being able to to source a reliable battery etc but I figure I have nothing to lose, except the 60 charge so worth a punt. I will report back after ....
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Jan 2021 12:32:18 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So my phone's gone in for a battery replacement today, fingers crossed all is OK, I considered resetting it to gaurantee my information wasn't abused but just couldn't face the prospect of redoing absolutely everything.
  • Hiphopopotamus 16 Jan 2021 13:27:16 201 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Kilters wrote:
    My trusty S8+ finally started having battery issues so I agonised over what to get. S20, S20 FE or Pixel 5.
    Was very close to getting the FE but subsequently saw it was sold out, especially the 5g version which has the qualcomm chipset. It was also 750 euro.
    Took a punt on the Pixel 5. 618 euro. Delighted with it. Very fast. Does everything solidly and reliably. Lightweight and the battery life is incredible. 9 hours screen on time on day 1 and still had 15 percent battery left.

Highly recommended.
    Agree 100%. I got mine with a free fabric case and Bose QC35II for 600. Sold those bits for 175 , sold my iPhone 11 Pro for 700 so ended up with 275 in my pocket. It's an excellent phone.
  • StixxUK 16 Jan 2021 17:12:45 8,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Hiphopopotamus got a similar deal but without the case... Excellent phone and good value.

I didn't sell the headphones and they are also lovely
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Jan 2021 18:05:40 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    So my phone's gone in for a battery replacement today, fingers crossed all is OK, I considered resetting it to gaurantee my information wasn't abused but just couldn't face the prospect of redoing absolutely everything.
    Well it appears at this point I may have wasted my money, it seems to discharge even quicker than before, one phone repairer I spoke with did actually say he was unable to source a reliable battery for my phone so said I could end up with a worse battery than before so I knew it would be a bit of a gamble so probably that's what's happened, anyway I'll give it a few full discharge/charges and if no better it'll be new phone time. Whether the bloke who replaced the battery will be of any help is another story.
  • Hiphopopotamus 16 Jan 2021 18:39:20 201 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @StixxUK I honestly wish I kept the headphones. My Sony XM3 hit the 2 years mark and have become extremely uncomfortable. Either my ears got bigger or the pads wore out.. probably both!
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Jan 2021 18:54:49 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Hiphopopotamus https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWYW8ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_NuZaGb85W0QKA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Dougs 16 Jan 2021 19:08:05 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I bought similar for my PS4 headphones, worked a treat.
  • StixxUK 16 Jan 2021 19:39:28 8,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Hiphopopotamus gotta be honest if I had the choice I'd have picked the xm3s

However the Bose are extremely comfortable.

I do have wf-xm3s (the true wireless ones) and I actually find the Bose way better for connection speed and stability, and the way they connect to two devices at once is really useful (phone and laptop currently) whereas I have to faff around with connections for the Sony ones to swap between devices. Not sure if the bigger brother wh-xm3s have the same issue.

Anyway pixel 5 is great.
  • dfunked09 16 Jan 2021 22:13:23 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    XM3s are absolute dogshit for using with more than one device, but I definitely prefer them to the pair of QC35 that I had for a while.

The XM3 are a bit heavier but still very comfortable for long periods imo. I live by a noisy road (only for the next few days thankfully) and the quality of noise cancelling between the two was night and day. I sold the QC35 a few weeks after I got them for a few long haul flights (which they were great for in fairness) as they seemed barely better for random outside noise cancellation than other sets of regular headphones I have.

TLDR just buy some replacement ear pads.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.