Following Shenmue 3

First Previous
  • kal2009 7 Feb 2010 03:18:33 13 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is anyone other than me really hoping that someone buys the rights for this game so that they can bring it to the next gen console???

If the game and the graphics were that good on the good ol dreamcast (still one on the best consoles) how good would it be on 360 or ps3...

I would buy a 360 solely for this game if they released it on that.

The chapter needs to be completed...
  • caligari 7 Feb 2010 03:31:55 17,928 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Obviously I'd love to see it on ANY console - but Shirley there's already enough on the 360 to make you want to buy one?
  • bad09 7 Feb 2010 09:02:23 8,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have put Shenmue 3 in the same grave as G-Police 3, Colony Wars 4, a Resident Evil game actually like real Resident Evil, Flashback 2 (no fade to black DOES NOT count!) and The Dreamcast 2 :(

It' 'ain't gonna happen, have a little cry and move on :(
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 09:07:59
    We really need another Shenmue 3 thread! Thanks be you opened one.
  • BartonFink 7 Feb 2010 09:09:48 35,267 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I was getting worried there, there hasn't been one in a while.
  • Gambit1977 7 Feb 2010 09:12:22 10,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I have put Shenmue 3 in the same grave as G-Police 3, Colony Wars 4, a Resident Evil game actually like real Resident Evil, Flashback 2 (no fade to black DOES NOT count!) and The Dreamcast 2 :(

It' 'ain't gonna happen, have a little cry and move on :(

Delphine were awesome...Flashback 2 would be a dream. I'd imagine it to be a lot like Shadow Complex. Thing is, one of the things about their games, Another World, Flashback, was at the time audio was quite mediocre...the characters didn't speak, adding to the atmosphere. Nowadays, even online co-op game characters have voices :(
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 09:13:03
    That's true, BartonFink. If only there was a Shenmue 3 thread where lots of discussion was being posted. One you could find by putting Shenmue into the search bar.

;)
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 10:43:49
    You know how Sega are planning to bring old DC games to XBLA? And you know how Capcom have struck gold by effectively releasing new NES games on download services (Megaman 9 & 10)?

Well, wouldn't it be possible (and awesome) to release Shenmue 3 as a Dreamcast game for download services (and maybe a very limited run of a special edition boxed DC version)?

Yeah I know it's not gonna happen. But how cool would it be?
  • N.A.T.O 7 Feb 2010 11:00:44 43 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A special edition boxed DC version? That would eclipse the birth of my children as the greatest day of my life.
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 11:49:37
    If they made a new one it'd have to be a shooter, otherwise no one would buy it.
  • the_dudefather 7 Feb 2010 12:28:59 10,812 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You will never get revenge on Lan Di

The Yakuza series is the best you're getting
  • pac666 7 Feb 2010 12:47:22 221 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe one day when the snow turns to rain and if you see a black car. You never know, stranger things have happened.
  • the_dudefather 7 Feb 2010 12:53:27 10,812 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I see...
  • coojam 7 Feb 2010 13:37:49 625 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you know where I can find some sailors?
  • Syrette 7 Feb 2010 14:32:00 49,927 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    You will never get revenge on Lan Di

The Yakuza series is the best you're getting

/am cry
  • Jeepers 7 Feb 2010 14:36:17 16,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck Lan Di. What happened to the kitten in the box?
  • Jeepers 7 Feb 2010 14:40:36 16,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ;_;
  • Ashleyfiddes 7 Feb 2010 15:16:54 980 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My recurring nightmare is reaching the end of shenmue 2 having him standing there as the credits roll, thrn I boot on the pc in search of any info and it comes up saying the third game has been canned even though there are millions of people waiting for it. Then I wake up and realise it wasn't a nightmare but infact reality :S, I would even be happy to have a film to finish off the series but alas it will never be, so please please please can we lay this great series to rest and allow the pain of seperation to once again scar over thank you
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 15:19:58
    It would help if Yu Suzuki and the remnants of AM2 came out of their caves and spoke to us mere mortals about what, if anything game related they are doing these days.
  • trip919 7 Feb 2010 15:34:50 2,357 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can somebody please sum up why this game series is so incredible (as it passed me by) & whether it still holds up today? Is it worth tracking down a DC to play the first one? Cheers!
  • the_dudefather 7 Feb 2010 15:36:09 10,812 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What if they de-made shenmue 1+2 into a 2d DS game, with a lot less graphical detail (sprites etc) and no VA (just text), then used that as a platform for Shenmue 3?

Plus I can play Lucky hit on the go!
  • trip919 7 Feb 2010 15:53:50 2,357 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Can somebody please sum up why this game series is so incredible (as it passed me by) & whether it still holds up today? Is it worth tracking down a DC to play the first one? Cheers!

Nothing really. It was technically impressive at the time, and created an impressive living world (that was nearly destroyed in the English release through dodgy voice acting). It's just a cult classic, that's why it's so popular. It's a decent game though, it's worth playing because it's a bit of a landmark title. I was amazed by it at the time, but I've played it recently and it's not so impressive, I was buzzing from the nostalgia it brought, and I'm not sure how someone new to the series would perceive it.

As with everything, age takes its toll. Some things you just had to be there for to fully understand the importance & the impact it had at the time. Still my interest has been aroused, so I think I will try & track down a cheap DC with the game. Cheers!
  • LionheartDJH 7 Feb 2010 15:56:11 20,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cliffhanger from the end of number 2 has haunted me for almost 8 years now, and it looks to continue. The first 2 games didn't really make that much money, and I think Sega has said on several occasions that if it were financially viable they would make a third game, but as of yet they don't consider it to be an option. Though maybe if they release 1 and 2 on XBLA or PSN and they sell well and generate new interest in the series then perhaps Sega will reconsider their position. I, like a lot of Shenmue fans would love to see this happen, as I can only dream of how amazingly awesome a new Shenmue on this generation's hardware would be.
  • LionheartDJH 7 Feb 2010 16:09:47 20,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    trip919 wrote:

Nothing really. It was technically impressive at the time, and created an impressive living world (that was nearly destroyed in the English release through dodgy voice acting). It's just a cult classic, that's why it's so popular. It's a decent game though, it's worth playing because it's a bit of a landmark title. I was amazed by it at the time, but I've played it recently and it's not so impressive, I was buzzing from the nostalgia it brought, and I'm not sure how someone new to the series would perceive it.

As with everything, age takes its toll. Some things you just had to be there for to fully understand the importance & the impact it had at the time. Still my interest has been aroused, so I think I will try & track down a cheap DC with the game. Cheers!

Good choice mate, the DC is a fantastic console with a number of classic gems which have been unfortunately overlooked, including Shenmue. I agree with ecureuil, I'm not quite sure how a newcomer will find the game, as it is quite unlike any other game really. It can be a bit boring in spots but when the action kicks off it is pretty fun and the story does a fantastic job of keeping you playing. I'd say just remember that it's an old game but one that was quite ahead of its time, with its dynamic weather, living world and QTE's (Shenmue was one of the first games to popularise them, I know everyone hates them these days but the ones in Shenmue are still pretty cool). I hope you enjoy it and join those of us clamouring for a third installment!
    Oh and if you'd like to invest in some other Dreamcast gems then let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some largely forgotten but awesome games.
  • Aretak 7 Feb 2010 16:11:41 10,391 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brotherbob wrote:
    They couldn't release 1 and 2 on digital download, I think the size of the games exceed the limits both consoles place on such content unfortunately. I think possibly on the next gen of consoles, or on PC, but they will only do it if they can turn a good profit. Bastards.
    There aren't any limits on PSN at least. Siren: Blood Curse weighs in at around 10GB. Still, I doubt it'll ever happen.
  • Cheapshot 7 Feb 2010 16:13:29 162 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.ps3center.net//news/4293/Sega-talks-Shenmue-III/

This is encouraging stuff! I reckon Shenmue III would sell far better than the previous games. The game has developed a massive cult following and word of mouth and the internet has a big say in the fate of games like these now.

I played Shenmue recently and I still find it more 'alive' than any single-player adventure out there, more immersive than anything I've played. I may still be wearing the rose-tinted glasses because the game still charms me to death.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.