Following Shenmue 3 Page 44

• Iwasexclusive 2 Jul 2019 13:33:29 76 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Huh, China. I'm not buying it.
  • dadrester 2 Jul 2019 14:52:56 2,555 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't really get the huge fuss about Epic store. It's a bit like making a fuss that it's coming to PS4 rather than Dreamcast. Sure it'd be great to have it on Dreamcast because that's where the bulk (all) of my Shenmue games are but given times have changed and Sony rather than Sega, were helping YS Net, it's to be expected that they'll be publishing on PlayStation systems.

And yes, I also know there are a lot of major flaws in my analogy but I wanted to make it regardless.
  • Ror 2 Jul 2019 14:59:32 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Over and above the issues with the EGS itself (which I don't really know enough about to comment on - I haven't used it at all), I think it's just a bad look that people who backed the game aren't going to get exactly what they pledged for.

Yes, they're still getting the game, which is the important part. And I personally wouldn't let this stop me from playing fucking Shenmue III (but then I pledged for PS4, so eh), but then I'm not everyone. Others will feel differently.

As a backer who isn't affected, I just worry that any bad press for this decades-in-the-making, highly niche game is going to kill any chances of a continuation.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Jul 2019 22:30:07 3,564 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    So the physical PC version just contains an EGS store installer and no game? Whatís the point in that? Canít imagine thatís what anyone who bought the physical version wanted or expected.

Still at least the refund offer should calm people down hopefully.
    Exactly, what is the point of the physical on this scenario. Possibly another side effect of the Epic key? If not they could have released a DRM free game on disc and a special download location to get around what I assume is Steam not allowing a key for a game that they cannot sell. The 100GB installation size is what I anticipate is the problem here though as I guess that is goingto be around 50GB which is a fair amount of DVDs... I don't know how many discs the likes of Witcher 3 came on on PC...

I always had the PS4 version selected so it won't affect me. Not sure if I get any bonuses at all from being a backer for the higher cost though (at least Bloodstained got me a beta, the Circle of the Moon game and a slipcase). I had considered some of the tiers with extras but figured they were just going to be codes and were highly priced and the LEs were out of reach oricewise for me.
  • Joyless_Man 7 Jul 2019 20:48:01 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Finally finished 2 HD. I forgot that last bit with Shenhua. Bloody tedious.

1 is the king for me. Much more focused, the battle system seems better balanced (training moves in 2 seems pointless) and the location is more interesting. The high rises in 2 are a pain. I prefer dobuita.

Still, can't wait now. It feels nice seeing the credits in 2 knowing thats not it.
  • ChiefGB 7 Jul 2019 21:32:45 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah Iíve actually finally started 2 just today, having never played it back in the day.
    Iím finding the beginning area much bigger than the first but that doesnít mean itís better. In fact itís a chore to traverse and I keep getting lost, the jobs Iím doing just to cover my rent are still really monotonous and yet I still managed to play it for about 5 hours earlier.
  • Joyless_Man 8 Jul 2019 10:04:47 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It's still really good, but I prefer the feel of the small village in the first one. And the fact you can explore the house. It feels more alive than the second, which seems a bit copy paste with a lot of the areas, particularly later on.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Hong Kong area is pretty great once you're a bit more familiar with it.

Watched 15 minutes of Shenmue 3 last night from E3. Looks spot on!
  • Psiloc 8 Jul 2019 12:34:52 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got used to HK eventually. I still prefer Dobuita in an aesthetic sense but HK was still OK.
  • Psiloc 8 Jul 2019 12:36:08 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agree about the special moves in 2 though. It was literally not worth the hassle of committing them to memory
  • Joyless_Man 8 Jul 2019 13:05:52 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It's a shame that, as the combat is a lot of fun in the first one. Hopefully the 3rd game combines the best elements of 1&2.
  • Tuffty 8 Jul 2019 13:15:25 4,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing through 2 and one aspect I definitely forgot with my rose tinted glasses is just how screwy the camera can be during combat. Not only fucks up my perspective but depending on where it is, also fucks up whatever move input you want to make

Still love it though.
  • SolidSCB 8 Jul 2019 15:06:36 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That 70-man battle in 1 was fucking ridiculous though and has an absolutely absurd checkpoint if you get KO'd at any point. It's the sort of thing you see as an optional boss in other games.

You basically have to run around like it's a Benny Hill chase scene desperately gathering health and throwing in running roundhouses every now and then, hoping you've got enough in reserve to not get stomped by the bosses that come running in. An absolute arse ache of a section.
  • Joyless_Man 8 Jul 2019 15:43:35 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    There are poor checkpoints in the second one too. Notably involving the new type of QTE they introduced.

Also that bit where you go up the ruined building, walking across beams. Slip on one and it's fuck off back to the beginning you go.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Jul 2019 17:08:15 3,600 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For the 70 man battle in the first game, if you stay in the alley and not go to the main area you can take out the enimies as they attack in 2 or 3 then. Also you win the fights by dodging around them then throwing them, works great on the end boss, (who is cheap bastard if you try to fight him normally)

ChiefGB wrote:
    I keep getting lost, the jobs Iím doing just to cover my rent are still really monotonous and yet I still managed to play it for about 5 hours earlier.
    You don't have to pay the rent to the owner at the guest house, you just tell him you don't have it and keep saying every day to him until you move on
  • SolidSCB 8 Jul 2019 17:38:56 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Luckily this time I saw that twat of a beam bit coming and saved at the start of every floor so I could just re-load. Fuck starting all over again for a laugh (says the guy who did exactly that on the original)
  • Baihu1983 8 Jul 2019 18:06:08 11,625 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hated the first person fighting and fade to yellow bits
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Jul 2019 18:08:36 3,600 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really hated the catch the feather bit in 2, as the controls are shit then do it 3 times in a row
  • ChiefGB 8 Jul 2019 20:19:14 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just did that earlier
  • SolidSCB 8 Jul 2019 20:19:43 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The fucking QTE after the Dou Niu fight that makes you fight him again if you fail.

No idea why I love these games so much thinking about it.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jul 2019 10:32:01 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I see the third game has been quoted as still only getting suzuki halfway through the story he has mapped out. Christ we are all going to die before it ends arenít we. I respect the vision but seeing as we are fortunate there is even going to be a third, he may well have been better off reshuffling things somewhat.
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jul 2019 10:45:01 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    He should just end it. It's not going to sell enough to justify a 4th game and the hype it's had for 15 years will go once 3 is out.

Just let us beat Lan Di to a bloody pulp and be done with it
  • SolidSCB 10 Jul 2019 12:12:21 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely having to wait 15 years to get the funding and interest in making a sequel is a sign that maybe you should just wrap the fucking thing up with a third game.

I dare say the Lan Di side of the story will conclude in 3 and all of the mirror and fairytale gubbins will form the hook into the 4th game that will almost certainly never see the light of day.
  • Ror 10 Jul 2019 12:28:40 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It probably is unlikely that we'll get another game, but I don't know if a GoT-style rushed ending would be preferable to that, to me.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jul 2019 12:37:39 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't really see what's left of what people actually care about in the series that can justify not fitting it into a single title to be honest.

Continue hunting Lan Di, while finding out exactly what the secret behind the mirrors is, concluding with a confrontation just as he's about to unlock said secret, get your revenge, epilogue with Ryu perhaps returning home, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over.
  • Ror 10 Jul 2019 12:48:32 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How's that for a slice of fried gold.

There's obviously a hell of a lot that we don't know about. I always kind of got the feeling that the Lan Di stuff was the tip of the iceberg.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jul 2019 13:42:11 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm almost certain Lan Di was originally/still is some sort of gatekeeper for the real Big Bad of the series had it panned out successfully and branched into the more mythological stuff for the rest of the chapters once his arc was dealt with.

But given what it's taken to just get a third game out of the door, I don't see anything that has happened or been revealed/hinted at within the context of the 2 previous games that makes it necessary for more than 1 game's worth of content to wrap all that up and give the fans closure. It seems like pig headed stubbornness to me.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jul 2019 13:42:20 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything seems to be the tip of the iceberg the way itís panning out. Taking two games at a snails pace to say not a lot really. Still enjoying them though, but as relics, not sure if the same charm and non conclusion will carry it through another. But Iíll still probably hang in and find out.
  • Nazo 10 Jul 2019 14:46:50 1,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I kinda figured it wouldnít go down the revenge route in the end but would have Ryo growing beyond that. Thereís still a lot we donít know about what happened in Ryoís dadís past that set this all off, and wasnít it hinted that Lan Di was the brother of the temple woman in S2? I mightíve read too much into that though, I need to get round to playing through S2 HD.
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jul 2019 14:55:30 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Also claimed that Ryo's dad killed Lan Di's dad.

They could easily tie it up in 1 more game but Suzuki seems to want to stick to the already failed plan he thought up in 1997.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jul 2019 15:40:07 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm definitely looking forward to finding out how it all ends in the crowdfunded comic book in 5 years' time.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.