Following Shenmue 3 Page 52

Next Last
  • Malek86 26 Nov 2019 17:08:44 9,188 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    They will have received some funds from Deep Silver (publisher) and the Epic deal. Also, Shibuya Productions was supposedly matching the KS amount.
    In other words, they probably had at least 20 million dollars for this game. Not nearly as much as the budget for the original Shenmue, but still quite a lot for an independent production - mind, it's not that independent if there were so many parties involved...

The other thing is that Kickstarter is a horrible way to judge the amount of interest in a game. If you look at their KS page, they got 6+ million dollars, but from just 70.000 backers. In other words, there very few people who were "really" interested enough in the game to back it early. And since I don't think any big publishers will throw in their support for a sequel for just 70k sales, the amount of actual sales will be important too.
  • Psiloc 26 Nov 2019 20:08:58 5,285 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd love to see the actual numbers it's done.

Would be a turn up if it has flopped after 18 years of noise
  • richarddavies 26 Nov 2019 20:14:07 6,895 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be more pleasantly surprised if it does really well to be honest. How successful do people think a sequel to a cult/relatively unsuccessful game from nearly twenty years ago is going to be? And this is coming from a fan.
  • Ror 26 Nov 2019 23:27:43 19,150 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I would be very surprised if ended up at half a mil lifetime, tbh.

@Malek86 I wouldn't like to guess at the total amount, but I'm sure I read about Shibuya pledging to match the KS amount - I can't find anything now though, so may be mistaken. It's also worth noting that some of that budget will also have to go towards backer rewards too. But I think we can safely guess the entire budget was north of 10 million (though I'd guess that would be inclusive of publishing and marketing, which probably would have been the bulk of Deep Silver's involvement).
  • Nazo 27 Nov 2019 07:04:30 1,116 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I read an interview with Suzuki a while back that said until QuickSilver got involved S3 was basically just going to be a story with some QTEs so I imagine they must have put a fair bit of cash in.
  • Malek86 28 Nov 2019 16:29:32 9,188 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For what it's worth, the game sold 17k units in its launch week in Japan, which is half of what Shenmue 1+2 sold at launch last year.

I guess nostalgia is stronger than the desire for new things?...
  • SolidSCB 28 Nov 2019 16:39:08 11,822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The same people crowing for it for 18 years are the same ones who will wait for when it inevitably cost pennies in a couple of months

It's a fickle world.
  • Ror 28 Nov 2019 16:58:56 19,150 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had to fight the scarface bookie guy earlier and he beat the poop out of me. So I spent the day selling herbs and practicing at Martial Hall, instead of pushing the story on.

I think any other game would probably annoy me by doing that, but it just seems to fit so well with Shenmue being a bit of a celebration of martial arts. Ain't gonna get nowhere without practice, Ryo!
  • Nazo 28 Nov 2019 18:36:11 1,116 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is one of the minor disappointments for me, I was hoping they wouldn't go this route.
    In S2 when I lost a fight it felt like because I wasn't good enough, I needed to spar to practice moves and learn to observe my opponent's style and figure out how to beat them. I'm not a fighting game fan but to me it felt like a good system and the difficulty felt about right.

Now I can just cheese my way to victory by levelling up until I can overpower them.
  • Ror 29 Nov 2019 00:52:45 19,150 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair, you could cheese SII by backing off, spamming Y to dodge, and then fwd, fwd x.

I get your comment though, this is different and feels a bit more like overlevelling in a jrpg.
  • evild_edd 2 Dec 2019 22:50:44 4,183 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, after a crazily busy period at work and home, I've finally had the chance to start my 2HD playthrough (ahead of 3!)

Coming relatively soon off the back of playing 1HD I was reminded of the exact sensation I had when doing the same with the DC originals back in the day. It's a sense of being overwhelmed by HK.

I know modern open world games offer a lot more in actual space, but there's something about the detail and the... mundanity (if you'll pardon the expression) of the series that you feel like you can genuinely get lost.

It never really happened in 1, but 2 dumps you in the middle of this Warren. It wants you to feel overwhelmed. Like an outsider, which is precisely what Ryo is. It's brilliantly effective.
  • Psiloc 3 Dec 2019 11:44:30 5,285 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know I've only ever played the original two games once - I'm not a die hard lifetime fan or anything so forgive me if I'm missing something. But didn't 2 end on a supernatural note, with the sword levitating and getting all fantastical?

I literally don't remember the sword being in the 3 intro at all. But I did start my playthrough at midnight on a school night
  • Psiloc 3 Dec 2019 11:49:12 5,285 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway. I'm really starting to dislike the food mechanic. I don't think it really adds anything.

Also on a personal note, I really miss the Japanese setting of the first game. It's a bit daft, because while I was playing that game I was longing for a more colourful and lush setting so they really can't win with me on this one. But I do hope S4 ends up back in Japan
  • JoeGBallad 3 Dec 2019 20:04:56 468 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @evild_edd when you first go into the Come Over Guest House there's a wee cutscene where Ryo jist has a moment and catches his breath, and I was genuinely right there with him.
  • KD 10 Dec 2019 13:53:11 2,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/939450/Forklift_Simulator_2019/

May get some practice in before starting Shenmue 3.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Dec 2019 14:16:22 8,551 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am 1hr from finishing Shenmue 2 :D looking forward to starting 3 now.
  • Ror 10 Dec 2019 16:05:29 19,150 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just be prepared for a much slower-paced game. You're coming right off of 2, which actually has a fairly high pace.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Dec 2019 16:09:17 8,551 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Just be prepared for a much slower-paced game. You're coming right off of 2, which actually has a fairly high pace.
    is it as full of QTE's?

also, thats fine. I think i prefer the pace of shenmue 1 to 2 anyway.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 16:09:45 10-12-2019
  • Ror 10 Dec 2019 16:13:04 19,150 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really, not so far at least. They are there when you're sparring, which feels like a decent use of them.

Related to that, I much prefer the way you level up your combat skills in this one.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.