Shenmue 3 Page 2

• trip919 7 Feb 2010 16:23:53 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Can somebody please sum up why this game series is so incredible (as it passed me by) & whether it still holds up today? Is it worth tracking down a DC to play the first one? Cheers!

Nothing really. It was technically impressive at the time, and created an impressive living world (that was nearly destroyed in the English release through dodgy voice acting). It's just a cult classic, that's why it's so popular. It's a decent game though, it's worth playing because it's a bit of a landmark title. I was amazed by it at the time, but I've played it recently and it's not so impressive, I was buzzing from the nostalgia it brought, and I'm not sure how someone new to the series would perceive it.

As with everything, age takes its toll. Some things you just had to be there for to fully understand the importance & the impact it had at the time. Still my interest has been aroused, so I think I will try & track down a cheap DC with the game. Cheers!

Good choice mate, the DC is a fantastic console with a number of classic gems which have been unfortunately overlooked, including Shenmue. I agree with ecureuil, I'm not quite sure how a newcomer will find the game, as it is quite unlike any other game really. It can be a bit boring in spots but when the action kicks off it is pretty fun and the story does a fantastic job of keeping you playing. I'd say just remember that it's an old game but one that was quite ahead of its time, with its dynamic weather, living world and QTE's (Shenmue was one of the first games to popularise them, I know everyone hates them these days but the ones in Shenmue are still pretty cool). I hope you enjoy it and join those of us clamouring for a third installment!
    Oh and if you'd like to invest in some other Dreamcast gems then let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some largely forgotten but awesome games.

Iíve had very little experience with the DC, It was always touted as a console for Arcadey types games, which never really appealed to me. Also, a friend had one early on and the Sonic game was a complete let down. Everyone thought it was going to be the next Mario 64 & it certainly wasnít. These combined led me to give the console a wide berth.

But if itís going to be my next purchase, Iíd be happy to hear of any recommendations you might have.
  • Cheapshot 7 Feb 2010 16:25:26 161 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not really encouraging because who would ever fund that project? Shenmue is a high budget title for an audience that isn't there.

Optimism is all we Shenmue fans have. Don't piss on my bonfire. :(
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 16:47:06
    I wouldn't actually like to see shenmue 3 in PS3/360 graphics. I think the dc graphics look great and really suit it. They could obviously up the resolution and draw distance etc but, other than, keep it simple. Ideally, a disc release called shenmue trilogy with, as the title suggests, the third one is incorporated into it.

I know it won't be popular, but my ideal choice of platform would be the Wii. The development costs would be cheaper and Sega could get away with using the older style graphics. Also, for me, the Wii is a blue-skies kind of console.
  • ElNuevo9 7 Feb 2010 18:36:49 14,128 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    If they made a new one it'd have to be a shooter, otherwise no one would buy it.

With online, perks and Chopper Gunners
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 18:51:55
    Probably already mentioned ... but is it so hard to reskin Yakuza?
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 19:18:23
    I still don't think there's been another game like Shenmue which fed you the story in the same way. A lot of RPGs have 'normal life' elements which you can get involved in, but it's always very much your decision what mission to do or whatever, and it still feels like a game. Shenmue felt very natural the way the events unfolded and you just seemed to get swept along. It's a bit pretentious, but during the period I was playing it in I really felt like I was living two lives at the same time, just one inside a game.

It wasn't just the story, the same's true of the way you learnt combat and earned money and such. It was all very organic. I'm not sure any other game has had that effect on me, and I don't think it gets recognised for how innovative it still is. It's dated in some ways sure, but I still think it holds up because of its innovation.
  • trip919 7 Feb 2010 19:20:09 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím sure everyoneís seen this, but itís killing me. This game is a definite buy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa3yGXzGls
  • Syrette 7 Feb 2010 19:30:09 49,984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I still don't think there's been another game like Shenmue which fed you the story in the same way. A lot of RPGs have 'normal life' elements which you can get involved in, but it's always very much your decision what mission to do or whatever, and it still feels like a game. Shenmue felt very natural the way the events unfolded and you just seemed to get swept along. It's a bit pretentious, but during the period I was playing it in I really felt like I was living two lives at the same time, just one inside a game.

It wasn't just the story, the same's true of the way you learnt combat and earned money and such. It was all very organic. I'm not sure any other game has had that effect on me, and I don't think it gets recognised for how innovative it still is. It's dated in some ways sure, but I still think it holds up because of its innovation.

This.

The day I finished Shenmue was the saddest gaming moment I've experienced. Worse than Sega announcing the death of the Dreamcast.
  • trip919 7 Feb 2010 19:44:36 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How does Shenmue 2 stack up compared to the original? Is the Xbox version a good port?
  • Tomo 7 Feb 2010 19:44:40 16,107 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fucking hell. 1999. It was released in December 1999 in Japan. And still looks wonderful. Gott. I installed Red Faction 2 last night, which was 2003 and it looks appalling.

I never played Shenmue 2... I really must ;_;
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 19:45:36
    brotherbob wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Iím sure everyoneís seen this, but itís killing me. This game is a definite buy!

haha, that is legendary. The voice acting was poor, but to be fair even now games have shitty voice acting, so back then it is understandable. Not sure about the homosexual connotations going on in that video though! Absolutely brilliant.

I always preferred this clip!
  • Deleted user 7 February 2010 19:46:41
    Trip, the Xbox version's fine, but the DC version is better: for starters, there's no English voiceover and it's much more atmospheric in Japanese with subtitles.
  • trip919 7 Feb 2010 19:51:13 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    brotherbob wrote:
    trip919 wrote:

haha, that is legendary. The voice acting was poor, but to be fair even now games have shitty voice acting, so back then it is understandable. Not sure about the homosexual connotations going on in that video though! Absolutely brilliant.

I always preferred this clip!

I love it when the woman says ďwow thatís pretty deepĒ in response to ďIím looking for the man who killed my fatherĒ
  • LionheartDJH 8 Feb 2010 18:20:24 20,233 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Iíve had very little experience with the DC, It was always touted as a console for Arcadey types games, which never really appealed to me. Also, a friend had one early on and the Sonic game was a complete let down. Everyone thought it was going to be the next Mario 64 & it certainly wasnít. These combined led me to give the console a wide berth.

But if itís going to be my next purchase, Iíd be happy to hear of any recommendations you might have.

It's understandable that you didn't like Sonic Adventure, it was kind of a radical departure from the Sonic formula, with an open world/hub and such. I was going to recommend that as a good Dreamcast game as I really liked it myself. You may like Sonic Adventure 2 a bit more, it dispenses with the open world and is more like a classic sonic game, plus it has 2 different campaigns to play, a good and an evil one, and they're both pretty cool. Other than that I'd suggest checking out Soul Calibur, Metropolis Street Racer (the precursor to Project Gotham and still my favourite racing game), Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Dead or Alive 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Headhunter, Virtua Tennis 2 and Jet Set Radio. Also although I've not played them myself quite a few people recommend the Power Stone games. That should give you quite a bit to go at if you want to expand your DC catalogue should you invest in one.

And about the Xbox version of Shenmue II, I agree with lucky_jim. I find the DC version with Japanese dialogue and English subtitles preferable to the pretty bad English dialogue of the Xbox version. The Xbox version however does have slightly better performance and graphics and has a neat little camera and filter feature which allows you to take pictures as you travel through the game. It also includes a 45 minute DVD movie compiled of cutscenes from Shenmue I which provides a detailed summary of the plot, so if you didn't fancy getting a DC and the first game you could just track down a copy of Shenmue II for Xbox, which is also 360 backwards compatible. However I would still go with getting a DC and playing through the first game as a plot summary DVD can't really compare to actually having the great experience of playing Shenmue.
  • trip919 8 Feb 2010 21:46:41 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:

It's understandable that you didn't like Sonic Adventure, it was kind of a radical departure from the Sonic formula, with an open world/hub and such. I was going to recommend that as a good Dreamcast game as I really liked it myself. You may like Sonic Adventure 2 a bit more, it dispenses with the open world and is more like a classic sonic game, plus it has 2 different campaigns to play, a good and an evil one, and they're both pretty cool. Other than that I'd suggest checking out Soul Calibur, Metropolis Street Racer (the precursor to Project Gotham and still my favourite racing game), Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Dead or Alive 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Headhunter, Virtua Tennis 2 and Jet Set Radio. Also although I've not played them myself quite a few people recommend the Power Stone games. That should give you quite a bit to go at if you want to expand your DC catalogue should you invest in one.

And about the Xbox version of Shenmue II, I agree with lucky_jim. I find the DC version with Japanese dialogue and English subtitles preferable to the pretty bad English dialogue of the Xbox version. The Xbox version however does have slightly better performance and graphics and has a neat little camera and filter feature which allows you to take pictures as you travel through the game. It also includes a 45 minute DVD movie compiled of cutscenes from Shenmue I which provides a detailed summary of the plot, so if you didn't fancy getting a DC and the first game you could just track down a copy of Shenmue II for Xbox, which is also 360 backwards compatible. However I would still go with getting a DC and playing through the first game as a plot summary DVD can't really compare to actually having the great experience of playing Shenmue.

Even though Iíve got experience with some of those games through different versions, Iíll certainly check some of them out when I procure a DC. Thanks.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2010 22:21:18
    I'm a bit of a DC obsessive trip919. All the stuff mentioned already is good, and I'd recommend any of the titles Lionheart's listed, but part of the DC's charm is the oddities. On that basis, add Bangai-O to your list. There's a handy cheat where you can access any level if you enter your name as three of the gerbil symbols (yes you did read that correctly, bear in mind it's from Treasure!). Being a Treasure game, it's quite tough sometimes (hence the cheat), but incredibly good fun.

Re-Volt is a fun racer where you race remote controlled cars, infinitely superior to the N64 version (although that's not tough).

If you're going to be playing with other people, you need Chu Chu Rocket. Should be dirt cheap, as it was given away free- don't let that put you off.

Project Justice - Rival Schools 2 is just awesome. Capcom put out a few good beat-em-ups on the DC, but Project Justice is notable for being a damn good Capcom 3D fighter: probably the only one until SFIV came out! If you like 2D fighters, the Capcom Vs... games are great too (I've got Capcom Vs SNK, but Marvel fans are catered for too). SFIII is the obvious one if you like 2D beat-em-ups, but it's not cheap, and you can probably get as much fun from one of Capcom's others. They also put out JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to a mixed reception, and Darkstalkers to a hugely positive one.

On the theme of fighters, the Dreamcast's official UFC game is brilliant: with the exception of 2009's UFC, it's far and away the best game of its type ever imo ("its type" to me means wrestling/ MMA. Before MMA fans try and beat me up, I'm specifically talking about videogame representations!).

I really enjoyed the Evolution duo of RPGs, but they're not to everyone's taste. They got a bit slated by reviewers expecting Final Fantasy style JRPGs, when really they've got more in common with old fashioned dungeon crawlers like Rogue.

A few random gems from my collection which are worth a punt if you see them cheap-ish:

Toy Commander
    Space Channel 5
    Fur Fighters
    Daytona
    F355 Challenge (the word "Challenge" has rarely been used more appropriately in a game title!)
    Super Magnetic Neo
    Rayman 2
    Cannon Spike
    Starlancer (if you can get your hands on a DC mouse and keyboard)
    Shadow Man
    Gunbird 2
    TrickStyle

If you ever see a copy of Samba de Amigo with the official maracas, and it's a price you can afford, just buy it: even it seems a bit steep or means eating beans n toast for the rest of the month. You're not having mine though.

It's quite telling that the DC still has a spot under my telly after all this time!
  • Timmy 8 Feb 2010 22:48:32 9,141 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stop bumping this thread! I keep thinking Shenmue 3 is coming out. ;)

Bastards! :D
  • Deleted user 8 February 2010 22:55:58
    What, you mean you haven't heard?

It's not coming out.
  • trip919 8 Feb 2010 23:08:21 2,345 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @lucky jim

Cheers for the recommendations, Iím always up for the more obscure titles.
  • Dirtbox 16 Jun 2015 03:40:35 90,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 16 Jun 2015 03:42:10 18,683 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It made $100k in the last 15 minutes.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Jun 2015 03:53:25 13,230 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Will it reach 2m within 31 days?
  • Mola_Ram 16 Jun 2015 03:59:05 18,683 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The stretch goals seem pretty shite. I mean, it'll easily clear them either way, but I don't know that you need several hundreds of thousands of dollars to have subtitles in.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Jun 2015 04:50:46 18,683 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aaaaand over $1m now.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2015 06:25:51
    I honestly just think it is a way for Sony to judge how popular the game will be before they pony up the rest of the money
  • varsas 16 Jun 2015 06:34:51 2,493 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The stretch goals seem pretty shite. I mean, it'll easily clear them either way, but I don't know that you need several hundreds of thousands of dollars to have subtitles in.
    I don't know the general costs of translating a game but it's an RPG with a probably significantly sized script so there's a great deal of work.

Other kickstarters have added goals so let's see if that happens here once the original ones are met.

I hope that Suzuki-san will be taking into account some of the changed landscape in modern games.

Edited by varsas at 06:37:05 16-06-2015
  • RabbitHead 16 Jun 2015 06:37:42 140 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    I honestly just think it is a way for Sony to judge how popular the game will be before they pony up the rest of the money
    Definitely. Samething for that Igavania game.

They can't make the game for 2 million. Will probably need 10 times that amount if not closer to 20 times that amount.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.