Shenmue 3 Page 34

• hypoBla5t 3 Feb 2018 15:51:02 2,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The warehouse job is one of things that makes Shenmue great.
  • Pierre2k 3 Feb 2018 16:32:00 1,020 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shenmue is the absolute epitome of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. Things like the warehouse job in itself sounds rubbish, but it's the story, the world, the level of interactivity, the night and day cycles, the graphics (for the time), the combat, feeling like a detective, the fun characters and relationship s etc.
  • Baihu1983 3 Feb 2018 17:18:34 9,995 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't think we've had a game since that had so many little details like the Shenmue games had. I was upset the 2nd didnt have the real weather mode.
  • Ror 3 Feb 2018 21:11:09 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, I really need to get another DC to replay Shenmue :(
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Feb 2018 11:03:42 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thing with the warehouse for me was it glitched on the last day and wouldn't trigger a cutscene so I ended up doing 8 days of it which was painful.

I'm appreciating it more now I'm playing Shenmue 2 though. It seems the only way to get decent money is to gamble and cheat by saving a reloading. You get next to nothing for lifting crates and the rest is gambling.

I've found a guy I can beat easily at darts so doing that but it would have been much better if you had a job which paid decent cash.

It's really unbalanced as far as money is concerned
  • Baihu1983 4 Feb 2018 15:25:51 9,995 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The whole Fangmei side quest was really well done and the music is still a real treat.
  • KD 4 Feb 2018 15:29:46 1,959 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Loved the first one on dreamcast, only problem I remember is it corrupting my saves way too often. A few mates looked at me stupid while playing it and didn't understand the appeal at all, game was just impressive to me all along.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Feb 2018 15:50:15 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds odd. Did you have a third party memory card or something back in the day? I've played through it 4-5 times and not seen that happen.

Loads of loading errors and crashes but Dreamcast's were a bit tin pot and optical drives don't age well.

Shenmue 2 keeps getting a disc read error but it's not that bad as you can save wherever you want in this one and it's a lot faster than the first game.
  • Baihu1983 4 Feb 2018 15:58:24 9,995 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never had a corrupted save. Only have the official memory cards
  • ghearoid 4 Feb 2018 16:11:38 2,963 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I enjoyed playing Shenmue back in the day, looking for sailors and getting sweaty. Such fun.

Oh, I would love a Dreamcast mini to replay the old classics. I have a Dreamcast and games still, but no appropriate telly to play it all on.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Feb 2018 16:13:40 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Works on a HDTV. Might not be optimal quality but it's fine to be honest.
  • Runthejewels 4 Feb 2018 16:45:08 6,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So....when is this out
  • Baihu1983 4 Feb 2018 16:59:07 9,995 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Runthejewels wrote:
    So....when is this out
    2019 or never
  • KD 4 Feb 2018 16:59:29 1,959 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tbh the other day when playing my dreamcast I had to jiggle the controller connector about to get it to work, just think I had a dodgy bunch of controller ports on mine and was only game that had issues back in the day but now I got to pull the connector out a couple of mm to have it register a pad is connected in all ports. Official stuff only except the action replay memory card for PSO shenanigans.

Meh I still completed it about 5 times in a few years.

Edited by KD at 17:00:39 04-02-2018
  • DaM 8 Feb 2018 09:18:12 17,087 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Man, I really need to get another DC to replay Shenmue :(
    They'd make a heap more money off it if they re-released it on modern consoles for download than they did first time round.

Imagine Shenmue Switch!
  • Jyzzy-Z 8 Feb 2018 09:41:37 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was thinking about a remaster the other day while replaying.

I think the hardest part would be the audio. Music is fine but speech is compressed and horrible. Not sure if they have the original recordings, but it would be a waste of time making the graphics really nice and then having terrible dialogue.

I also thought it would be a good opportunity to remove the tank controls for something a bit more fluid. If they were feeling brave they could also combine both games into one. But that might not make commercial sense.

They should just do it already. Open goal.
  • bad09 8 Feb 2018 11:28:49 8,268 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Runthejewels wrote:
    So....when is this out
    A very vague 2nd half of 2018 for the time being.

Once we get a firmer date we'll finally hear about the re-release of 1&2, which are reportedly finished and sitting around at SEGA just waiting for 3 to get a new release date so they can release close to it.
  • bad09 8 Feb 2018 11:44:03 8,268 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @superbob85

Don't believe that nonsense some have said in the past about Yakuza being a spiritual successor to Shenmue you'll be VERY disappointed. There are some loose similarities like a semi-open world and mini games but they are very different games.

Edited by bad09 at 12:19:19 08-02-2018
  • Zomoniac 8 Feb 2018 11:46:59 9,675 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    I enjoyed playing Shenmue back in the day, looking for sailors and getting sweaty. Such fun.

Oh, I would love a Dreamcast mini to replay the old classics. I have a Dreamcast and games still, but no appropriate telly to play it all on.
    I have mine hooked up to a 1080p 42" screen using a VGA box and a VGA to HDMI converter and it looks great.
  • Switch024 8 Feb 2018 11:58:15 2,511 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I've had my Dreamcast running on my 4K TV through the VGA and the image quality is superb. As long as you get a decent converter you're good to go.
  • the_dudefather 8 Feb 2018 12:13:14 10,783 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yakuza feels like the sensible successor to Shenmue (in that it feels like a less-risky traditional game that Shenmue):

-More fighting (borders on too much at times, but it's pretty fun, and some of the heat actions are hilariously over the top)
    -More comedy than Shenmue (both in the dialogue+characters and some of the ridiculous things you end up doing)
    -Lots of melodrama in the main story of each game (and sometimes confusing as there tends to be a lot of characters and plotlines from previous games)
    -piles of oddball characters and moments (which are made even funnier by how serious and intense Kiryu tends to be)
    -lot of silly and surprisingly in-depth minigames and side activities (I spent about 4-5 hours doing taxi themed missions and street racing as part of a fully developed optional side story in Yakuza 5)
    -Feels more like a traditional RPG with leveling up etc rather than practicing moves in the park

That said, I loved Shenmue and miss some of the quirkier bits of that game (everything having schedules, the more realistic feeling atmosphere and forklifts mainly) and hope 3 delivers on the promise

If you like Shenmue, I'd definitely give Yakuza a shot, heard 0 is a good place if you're new to the series, currently playing through 5 so that will be next on my list

Yakuza doesn't have Tom or his hotdogs so it loses I guess :(

Edited by the_dudefather at 12:16:20 08-02-2018
  • Syrette 8 Feb 2018 13:36:31 49,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    They'd make a heap more money off it if they re-released it on modern consoles for download
    Why would they? Because it's cheap to just port them over and release them digitally?
  • evild_edd 8 Feb 2018 14:23:05 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure that an updated Shenmue 1&2 would require more work than a simple HD upscale. Or rather, I hope if SEGA do an HD port they don't bodge it, and get a decent version. It could be damaging to 3 sales if shoddy versions of 1 & 2 are released prior to the release of 3 (for those curious about the series but who never played it on DC/Xbox).

As well as sprucing up the visuals and audio, I think they'd really need to revise the controls, which were clunky at the time.

They'd be mad not to release something about 3 months prior to Shenmue 3's release though.
  • Jyzzy-Z 8 Feb 2018 15:29:01 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Faster loading screens would be another thing I would like. Or merging areas. I'm sure it would be possible nowadays.

Imagine Shenmue 2 with no loading. Would be pretty amazing
  • evild_edd 8 Feb 2018 19:26:23 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

I'd forgotten about the loading times, but your mentioning them immediately reminded me of the dojo music in Shenmue 1. Would love/dread to know how many hours I've spent looking at Shenmue load screens...
  • Jyzzy-Z 8 Feb 2018 19:31:11 2,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @evild_edd they're pretty savage in the second one.

I think a hd, fully open version of both games would be a thing to behold.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2018 21:36:41 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some new screens from Magic Monaco
  • IronGiant 26 Feb 2018 00:55:31 5,705 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ryo looks like a cartoon Ronaldo..

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.