The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 78

• Sleep918 9 May 2019 14:22:04 1 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Hello everyone, did anyone tried the somnofit https://somnishop.net/shop/snoring-mouth-guard-somnofit/ against snoring? Or any another mouth guard to stop snoring?
  • jimnastics 9 May 2019 14:32:19 1,632 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I put your sisters's foot in my mouth, that normally works for me.
  • DasBooter 27 May 2019 23:26:54 410 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just started reading The Great Gatsby. Instead of saying 'name' characters say 'id.'
    Eg. "Don't mention her id to me."

It gets weirder when the author writes 'touridnt' instead of 'tournament.'

What the fuck is this all about?
  • fontgeeksogood 27 May 2019 23:36:49 6,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's shit. I know it's supposed to be a great novel but it's shit
  • DasBooter 27 May 2019 23:45:17 410 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I knew nothing about it but randomly caught a documentary about the author on telly a few weeks ago.

All the characters are twats so far, but I can live with that.
  • fontgeeksogood 27 May 2019 23:50:15 6,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had a few years of commuting and did a Guardian top 100 "novels to read before you die" and GG was the only one which I did in fact wonder how precious life really is, when you come down to it
  • Your-Mother 28 May 2019 03:10:15 2,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DasBooter wrote:
    I just started reading The Great Gatsby. Instead of saying 'name' characters say 'id.'

Sounds like you have a crappy version - if it's a digital version it's probably a piss-poor OCR of a public domain print that's thrown up for a quick buck. That doesn't exist in the proper text.
  • Mola_Ram 28 May 2019 03:27:30 20,831 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a new meta-fiction trend, changing those words around.
  • DasBooter 28 May 2019 08:33:16 410 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    DasBooter wrote:

Sounds like you have a crappy version - if it's a digital version it's probably a piss-poor OCR of a public domain print that's thrown up for a quick buck. That doesn't exist in the proper text.
    Damn Kindle market. I got stung about £6 for it, there were various versions and this had the most positive reviews against it (although I see now that some of them are reviewing the paperback version). I mistakenly thought this was going to be a hefty tome that would keep me going a few weeks but its dead short.
  • Drakesmoke 28 May 2019 08:53:35 570 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DasBooter this is actually quite a big problem on Amazon these days. Anything with multiple editions (that'll be books and CDs usually, the things I like to collect) just agglomerates all the reviews in one place. I've even seen items with review that are for a different artist/author.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jun 2019 11:15:06 20,831 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This was half a rant, half a question, but I think the question part of it is more interesting, so...

Is queue jumping considered normal in some cultures? Like at supermarkets and stuff. Over the last couple of weeks, on three separate occasions I've been waiting patiently at the counter to buy my things, only to have someone come from behind to just plonk their stuff at the cashier ahead of me. This is in Myanmar, by the way.

And it's only when they look behind and see the perplexed/annoyed expression on my face, that they smile and motion for me to go ahead. As if to say "Oh, you're a foreigner, you should probably buy your things ahead of us". Well no, it's not because I'm a foreigner that I want to, it's because I actually got to the counter before you did.

So either they didn't notice me waiting, or that the concept of "lines" just doesn't apply or something. If it had just happened once I wouldn't pay it any mind, but it's a semi-regular occurrence and I'm finding it a bit vexing.
  • JamboWayOh 29 Jun 2019 11:32:38 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Honestly I've found this to be a regular occurrence in South East Asian countries. When I lived in Vietnam they wouldn't even acknowledge that they had jumped in front of you, they just stared straight ahead.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jun 2019 11:55:24 20,831 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess it applies more broadly to certain other types of etiquette. Like, the road rules here seem to operate on similar principles, where everyone (correctly) expects everyone else to break the rules, and the general philosophy is "do whatever you want and try not to die".
  • JamboWayOh 29 Jun 2019 12:10:37 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I guess it applies more broadly to certain other types of etiquette. Like, the road rules here seem to operate on similar principles, where everyone (correctly) expects everyone else to break the rules, and the general philosophy is "do whatever you want and try not to die".
    Yeah pretty much. From what I observed it seemed to stem from the idea that many people in that region do not like confrontation nor do they practice it. So they routinely break social etiquette because people don't call them on it. I found it also extended to the workplace, whereby if you had an issue it would never get passed up the hierarchy because people were terrified of having to actually relay problems. It was definitely one of the reasons why I left Vietnam.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Aug 2019 13:56:46 20,831 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, here's another one.

I just had a passing conversation with a random French woman at the hostel I'm staying at. It went like this:

Her: Hi! How are you?
    Me (having just come back from a walk in the sun, all sweaty): Pretty hot!
    Her: Oh, that's all just in your mind.
    Me: ...but it's manifesting itself on my body.
    Her: It's a somatic symptom, you know?

Now, here's the thing: that sounds a bit like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about the somatic nervous system to really be able to say it with certainty.

So, is it bullshit?
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Aug 2019 14:02:50 7,311 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Mola_Ram does it matter, just FHUTA
  • Slint1000 9 Aug 2019 14:04:13 3,524 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right or wrong, she just sounds annoying.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Aug 2019 14:05:48 12,429 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The heat is all in your mind? Or your body’s response to it? Either way she’s fucking mental.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2019 14:06:19 20,393 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Everything you ever feel or comprehend is all in your mind yes. So it's a fucking stupid thing to say.
  • Load_2.0 9 Aug 2019 14:25:39 29,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Her: Hi! How are you?
    Me (having just come back from a walk in the sun, all sweaty): Pretty hot!
    Her: Oh, that's all just in your mind.
    Me: ...but it's manifesting itself on my body.
    Her: It's a somatic symptom, you know?
    Me... like my erection?
  • Mola_Ram 9 Aug 2019 14:27:20 20,831 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not that it will stop some of the erections of all the EG degenerates, but she was in her mid-60s.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Aug 2019 14:39:57 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Not that it will stop some of the erections of all the EG degenerates, but she was in her mid-60s.
    So...you definitely FHUTA is what you're saying? Gotcha.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Aug 2019 14:48:53 12,429 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did you actually say "...but it's manifesting itself on my body"? I'm trying to imagine someone speaking those words and it just doesn't work.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Aug 2019 15:04:42 7,311 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Try imagining it in a thick Australian accent.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Aug 2019 15:05:31 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    User Mola Ram is actually Mr Logic from the Viz.
  • mrpon 9 Aug 2019 15:10:53 35,330 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She was probably attracted to the sock/sandal combo.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Aug 2019 15:13:29 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I hear just the sight of such a combo remoistens wizened old vaginas within 30 seconds, Goop are selling it as an alternative to vagina steaming.
  • Salaman 9 Aug 2019 15:24:57 23,674 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    On my way to work this morning, there was an older guy at a pedestrian crossing. As he shuffled across I noticed he was wearing light blue trousers, sandals and light blue socks.

I'm confused now. Most socks-and-sandals types seem to just put on white socks and step in their sandals without a care in the world. Probably unaware or not caring that it looks stupid. This guy put some thought into it and matched his socks to his trousers.
    How do you have enough 'fashion sense' to match your socks and trousers but not enough to realize that socks and sandals isn't the best look.
  • Dirt3 9 Aug 2019 15:30:32 457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    This was half a rant, half a question, but I think the question part of it is more interesting, so...

Is queue jumping considered normal in some cultures? Like at supermarkets and stuff. Over the last couple of weeks, on three separate occasions I've been waiting patiently at the counter to buy my things, only to have someone come from behind to just plonk their stuff at the cashier ahead of me. This is in Myanmar, by the way.

And it's only when they look behind and see the perplexed/annoyed expression on my face, that they smile and motion for me to go ahead. As if to say "Oh, you're a foreigner, you should probably buy your things ahead of us". Well no, it's not because I'm a foreigner that I want to, it's because I actually got to the counter before you did.

So either they didn't notice me waiting, or that the concept of "lines" just doesn't apply or something. If it had just happened once I wouldn't pay it any mind, but it's a semi-regular occurrence and I'm finding it a bit vexing.
    Once in a hellish remote place in China waiting in an airport queue I was punched in the gut by an old woman. As I doubled over in pain she shoved me and my case out the way and made for the desk and managed to check in in front of me. Funny thing was, it wasn't like she actually gained anything.

The moral of the story being, be thankful your fellow queue-ers are not more competitive.
  • Dirt3 9 Aug 2019 15:34:56 457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah pretty much. From what I observed it seemed to stem from the idea that many people in that region do not like confrontation nor do they practice it. So they routinely break social etiquette because people don't call them on it. I found it also extended to the workplace, whereby if you had an issue it would never get passed up the hierarchy because people were terrified of having to actually relay problems. It was definitely one of the reasons why I left Vietnam.
    I spent some time in Korea doing some miscellaneous operations. The head boss man was a Korean-American. He told me the problem was that in meetings, no one would ever say what was really going on. Everything was great/good etc. If he really wanted to find out what the deal was, he said he had to take them all down one of the local bars and get them completely hammered. Then all the problem stuff would be revealed.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.