F1 2010 (Codemasters) Page 109

• shamblemonkee 2 Aug 2011 08:59:24 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Final call for willing F1 2010 racers.....

If you fancy racing regularly against other EGs (on 360), in organised events check out this group: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threads.php?group_id=2803

We race every Tuesday at 8pm. Currently a few spots open.
  • KingOfSpain 2 Aug 2011 11:05:23 5,289 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Final call for willing F1 2010 racers.....

If you fancy racing regularly against other EGs (on 360), in organised events check out this group: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threads.php?group_id=2803

We race every Tuesday at 8pm. Currently a few spots open.

I really can't recommend this enough. If you're on the fence about it but are worried about not being to competitive, don't be. There is good racing all the way down the grid so if you are at the back you will have someone to battle with (fairly) until you get to know the tracks and start getting on the podium.

The racing is very fair and clean and is much better than racing against the AI or randoms on the internet.

Do it, you know you want to.
  • corstick 2 Aug 2011 17:43:47 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We can be quite evenly matched.
  • IJ 3 Aug 2011 12:35:34 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Halfway through my 2nd season at the moment. I completed the first with Virgin and now I'm in a williams. Very keen to finish this season and do 1 more in a top car to win a championship before 2011 comes out.

Really struggling with Silverstone at the moment in the race. I can't seem to get Stowe right nor Brooklands. I've watched a few online videos but they're always of good cars in time trial mode which obviously handle rather differently to fueled up Wlliams.

Stowe: I seem to need to brake much earlier than the AI to get the front turned in, I keep the speed even as I turn right into the apex after braking, then accelerate off the apex, but I seem to be much slower than the AI. Should I brake later and still be braking while turning in?

Brooklands: Same problem really, I know its a late apex but I again have to brake earlier to get the nose to turn in. If I brake even a fraction late my car seems to just head straight on....

Maybe both indicate too much understeer and I should bump that setting up?

Any tips welcome....love this game.

I turned the racing line off for this season and it isn't actually as big a step in difficulty as I would expect and I think it makes a big difference to how it feels to race. You are now making all the decisions and I think it's easier to get into a rhythm without the line. You can also more clearly see how fuel loads of tyres effects where you can brake. I'd recommend spending the extra 20 minutes per track to learn the braking points without the racing line available, well worth the effort.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 Aug 2011 13:17:13 9,695 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Totally agree with you about the racing line, IJ, I've just done the same and it nearly makes it a new game!

For any help on the tracks there are some EG race videos that I'm sure a few chaps in here can link you to. Or you could join the F1 2010 group and access the videos from the threads in there.
  • corstick 3 Aug 2011 13:27:22 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There was a fair bit of drama for the Red Bull in this weeks race at the Hungaroring.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 Aug 2011 13:37:54 9,695 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was actually infront of the Red Bull for a little bit of the race this week! Knew it wouldn't last though.
  • corstick 3 Aug 2011 13:44:29 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With the wide corner entry at Silverstone, the key to good lap times is trail braking, ie gradually easing off the brakes as you turn in. Getting it right will save you a lot of time. I would suggest setting brake balance to 52/48 as that really helps stabilise the car under braking and makes the technique much easier.
  • monkman76 3 Aug 2011 13:55:14 14,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Brooklands: Same problem really, I know its a late apex but I again have to brake earlier to get the nose to turn in. If I brake even a fraction late my car seems to just head straight on....

For Brooklands I found getting inside the recommended line (ie. to the left) allowed me to brake a bit later and still make the apex, more or less. There must be some adverse camber on the right side of the track at that point.

I find it really hard maintaining good speed through Maggotts and Becketts personally :-/
  • IJ 3 Aug 2011 13:56:24 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    corstick wrote:
    With the wide corner entry at Silverstone, the key to good lap times is trail braking, ie gradually easing off the brakes as you turn in. Getting it right will save you a lot of time. I would suggest setting brake balance to 52/48 as that really helps stabilise the car under braking and makes the technique much easier.

Excellent, I did think i needed to do some braking while turning but couldn't get it right. So basically I brake hard (but later) and then as I turn in I ease off the brakes (but still braking gently)?

Will try it tonight!

L_Franko, my aim for season 3 is to go the full hog and turn manual gears on. That'll leave me with no assists!
  • shamblemonkee 3 Aug 2011 13:57:55 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are you wheeling it IJ?
  • corstick 3 Aug 2011 14:07:21 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IJ - Yep, exactly. It's a technique that's beneficial at many tracks but Silverstone especially. F1 2010 is probably too lenient in how much you can get away with it.
  • IJ 3 Aug 2011 14:08:23 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    IJ wrote:

For Brooklands I found getting inside the recommended line (ie. to the left) allowed me to brake a bit later and still make the apex, more or less. There must be some adverse camber on the right side of the track at that point.

I find it really hard maintaining good speed through Maggotts and Becketts personally :-/

Ah now thats a sequence I can actually do (my quali time in Silverstone was actually fine, I get destroyed in Stowe and Brooklands and make it up everywhere else, especially in this sequence).

The key I found was getting the angle of the car right. So with a crap williams fully loaded with fuel I accelerate until the first apex on the left with the car straight, then brake for a second in a straight line (or just ease off the accelerator with a better car/less fuel) for the right hand flick. Then back on the accelerator gently for a squirt then either off the accelerator hugging the left hand curve or some slight braking before hand (don't brake in any of these corners or you'll understeer badly). Then brake pretty hard for the right hand corner, take an early apex and get onto the accelerator full. Once on the accelerator you shouldn't lift off even in the left hand turn into the hanger straight.

The key is flicking the car into the right angle, get it a bit wrong and you'll fly off the track and think you need to go a lot slower into the corner, you don't, you just need to get the car on the right line and it'll act like its on rails around it.
  • IJ 3 Aug 2011 14:08:58 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?
    Yes MS wheel & pedals with wheel stand pro.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 Aug 2011 14:13:56 9,695 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to invest in a wheel I think because I just can't get the gearing together on a pad and it doesn't help turning traction control off either as it can be very hard to ease the throttle on and off.
    Shall look into getting one after the Expo and ready to use with 2011.
  • monkman76 3 Aug 2011 14:14:23 14,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds good IJ, I'll give it a try. In a Ferrari for season 3 so hopefully it'll be a bit easier.

Try my Brooklands tip, I had the same issue as you until I tried braking and turning in from nearer the middle of the track rather than out to the right.
  • IJ 3 Aug 2011 14:15:36 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Sounds good IJ, I'll give it a try. In a Ferrari for season 3 so hopefully it'll be a bit easier.

Try my Brooklands tip, I had the same issue as you until I tried braking and turning in from nearer the middle of the track rather than out to the right.

I will thanks for the tip, I'll do a full GP and spend 30 mins with full fuel trying to do in in free practise.

Thanks for help all
  • hypoBla5t 7 Aug 2011 08:20:41 2,284 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gave my 2nd season a proper kickstart on Friday in the Renault. Having put loads of practice into Monaco and getting 6th on the grid in quali, I managed to take the win in the pouring rain!! I must have been on fire, one of the great gaming performances of my life... Maybe I'm exaggerating a little. I followed this up with a solid 3rd place in Turkey and then my first ever pole position in Canada (as far too easy as Catalunya is far too hard timings-wise) and converted that into my 3rd career victory. Top banana. Moved above Alonso in the championship and still thrashing Kubica (Gawd bless 'im).

Sorry for splurging this here but my missus doesn't really understand / care about my blatantly über gaming skillz (haha).

Next up is Valencia, top track but bloody difficult, and the Schumy and Rosberg seem to be lapping a good second faster than everyone else. Weirdly.
  • superdelphinus 7 Aug 2011 08:52:57 10,003 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's one of the slightly annoying thing about 2010 right there - you're never quite sure whether it's your technique or the AI that is making you slower is certain sections and faster in others.

Break balance is an excellent thing to fiddle with. Usually set to a fairly understeery setting by default (I.e forward bias), so shifting it back can gain you masses of time if you like a bit of snap under breaking
  • superdelphinus 7 Aug 2011 08:54:36 10,003 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    actually the one thing I hope they nail this year is consistent and believable AI. Too many tracks are messed up
  • monkeyspasm 7 Aug 2011 09:07:05 2,960 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I know the AI is unbalanced and I pit a lap early on every track to avoid the pit bug, but this is easily my favourite game, we all have a story like hypoBla5t's above.

I'm on a joypad, was on my 3rd season and was in a McLaren. All assists off except traction control (does anyone race without it on a pad?), and racing line on corners. Intermediate was getting too easy, won nearly every race in my second season in the Merc.

I've just restarted in a Virgin (ooh-er missus, etc), put difficulty up to Pro, taken off the racing line. Only assist on is traction control. Got 8th in Bahrain, Australia next which is my favourite track.

It's so much more satisfying without the racing line. I was finding I wasn't learning the tracks, racing like a zombie. Love shaving tenths off now, even if I'm not as fast as before. Awesome game, can't wait for 2011.
  • Ranger 7 Aug 2011 10:36:34 933 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?

How are u finding the wheel stand pro. Im sitting on one of these with the wheel resting on my legs\knees. The seating positoin is great. Was thinking about getting one to make the wheel a bit more stable.
  • IJ 7 Aug 2011 11:08:50 973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?

How are u finding the wheel stand pro. Im sitting on one of these with the wheel resting on my legs\knees. The seating positoin is great. Was thinking about getting one to make the wheel a bit more stable.

The wheel stand pro is great. Very well made, easy to fold and store away, very customisable in terms of height etc. I'd be a tad concerned about the low position you play from but I think it would be ok. Highly recommended, obviously expensive but I'm thinking it'll last forever as long as they keep releasing new adapters for new wheels.
  • sid92 7 Aug 2011 12:12:18 3,475 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I play on expert with only assist racing lines into corner and i am into my fourth season in mclaren and i still havent finished a race at monaco i just smash my car every time but i push very hard which i probably shouldnt. I love istanbul and spa 1st every season on three different saves, the hill on spa is awesome.
  • SomaticSense 7 Aug 2011 12:32:12 15,062 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God I really love this game. Nearly a year on, and I'm still playing it solidly as I did on release day. Shame the launch bugs marred what should've been one of the most criticly and commercially lauded racers ever. It really feels like you are living a racing driver's career both in the epic feel of each individual race and in the career mode overall.

After winning the title now three years on the trot, this time with McLaren (previously Renault, then Red Bull), I was hoping for them to offer me a contract. But no, yet again the team with which I'd just won the title on Legend mode decides to get rid of me(seriously, Codies need to fix the contract system for 2011 and make it a bit more realistic and less gamey). Only Red Bull by virtue of beating Webber as a 'Rival' and a couple of the backmarkers offered me one. Going back to Red Bull just felt wrong after they ditched me before, so I stuck the middle finger up and went for Virgin.

The Virgin is way, way better than I thought it would be. It seriously lacks top speed, but has some unexpectedly high grip levels, meaning that in Bahrain I could offset the speed differentials by running an extremely low downforce setup while still being quick in the corners. Qualified 7th and incredibly finished first, possibly because for some reason I was consistently a massive 2 seconds quicker than the Legend AI in the second sector alone.

Struggled in qually for Oz though which suggested that the previous result was possibly down to the inconsistent AI difficulty on certain tracks (*ahem* Barcelona....) rather than me being partuclarly good, only getting a disappointing 19th on the grid with a time of 1:31:400. But had a amazing race, finishing 7th after setting consistently high 1:31s low 1:32s every single lap, and not missing a single braking point or apex. It's very rare I ever have a busy race with zero mistakes using no flashbacks, so if feels incredible when you do. It wasn't even one of those 'overtake eight people at the start' deals either, but overtook each driver one by one throughout the whole race after staying in 19th after the first corner.

It was a Senna in a Toleman kind of drive. Hugely rewarding.

It was one of the epic races that convinces me this is by far the best pure racing game ever on consoles when it comes to the overall racing experience. I aboslutely love it, and pity all those who ditched it because they couldn't ignore the bugs. If they allow an option to get rid of that awful camera movement in 2011, then that will easily be my most anticipated game of this year. Keep this epicness while sorting out the bugs, and it will be the best thing ever.
  • SomaticSense 7 Aug 2011 12:45:35 15,062 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:It's so much more satisfying without the racing line. I was finding I wasn't learning the tracks, racing like a zombie. Love shaving tenths off now, even if I'm not as fast as before. Awesome game, can't wait for 2011.

At risk of sounding like a dick...

I honestly don't think something like racing lines should be in a game like this. There are brake point markers all over every track (200, 150, 100, 50 meters, etc), use those to memorise where to brake at each corner and there should never be any need, ever, for some garish and horrible looking green/yellow/red line covering the track. A lot of the times, the trackside cameras or advertisment hoardings are placed exactly where you need to brake, Valencia is a prime example of this, where nearly every black trackside camera is precisely where you need to start braking.

I think people are becoming too reliant on racing lines now after getting used to them too much, to the point where there is now a natural subconscious laziness whereby they can't learn the tracks anymore, like bike stabilisers. By all means have ABS/traction control/brake assists, but racing lines are completely unneeded in reality, as learning the circuit is what racing is all about. You wouldn't want to play an FPS with a constant series of brightly coloured arrows highlighted on the floor telling you to take the next left would you? Well, the less said about Perfect Dark Zero the better...

A suggestion. Perhaps try the first few races in F1 2011 without them. Do some laps in the Practice sessions before the races, not trying to get quick times, but learn where each braking point is. Can you leave it til halfway between the 100 and 50 meter boards? Or is it easier to turn in and hit the apex more accurately by braking a bit earlier, ie, just before the 100 meter board? Trust me, it becomes infinitely more enjoyable and satisying, and you'll feel far more like you are actually playing the game yourself.
  • shamblemonkee 7 Aug 2011 13:09:43 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I agree with the comments about racing line off making the game more rewarding (and that having it on makes you bind to actually learning the track, but disagree that they should be removed entirely. Letting people play how they want is a key part of keeping someone playing... as you can see here, and as we've seen in the EG races - typically once someone is comfortable enough they'll want to remove the racing line anyway. It is still useful for getting someone who has never played a racer, or has struggled in 'pure' racers to actually make it around the track consistently....

most people i've watched play who have given up on a sim racer is exactly because they can't tell where to brake to start with and after crashing a few times lose interest... imagine having to play a fighting game on the hardest difficulty with no option to tone down the difficulty.
  • monkeyspasm 7 Aug 2011 13:40:37 2,960 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    monkeyspasm wrote:It's so much more satisfying without the racing line. I was finding I wasn't learning the tracks, racing like a zombie. Love shaving tenths off now, even if I'm not as fast as before. Awesome game, can't wait for 2011.

At risk of sounding like a dick...

I honestly don't think something like racing lines should be in a game like this. There are brake point markers all over every track (200, 150, 100, 50 meters, etc), use those to memorise where to brake at each corner and there should never be any need, ever, for some garish and horrible looking green/yellow/red line covering the track. A lot of the times, the trackside cameras or advertisment hoardings are placed exactly where you need to brake, Valencia is a prime example of this, where nearly every black trackside camera is precisely where you need to start braking.

I think people are becoming too reliant on racing lines now after getting used to them too much, to the point where there is now a natural subconscious laziness whereby they can't learn the tracks anymore, like bike stabilisers. By all means have ABS/traction control/brake assists, but racing lines are completely unneeded in reality, as learning the circuit is what racing is all about. You wouldn't want to play an FPS with a constant series of brightly coloured arrows highlighted on the floor telling you to take the next left would you? Well, the less said about Perfect Dark Zero the better...

A suggestion. Perhaps try the first few races in F1 2011 without them. Do some laps in the Practice sessions before the races, not trying to get quick times, but learn where each braking point is. Can you leave it til halfway between the 100 and 50 meter boards? Or is it easier to turn in and hit the apex more accurately by braking a bit earlier, ie, just before the 100 meter board? Trust me, it becomes infinitely more enjoyable and satisying, and you'll feel far more like you are actually playing the game yourself.

You don't sound like a dick at all, I completely agree.

As for trying the first few laps in 2011 without them, I don't use them in 2010 now, so of course I'm not going to suddenly start using them again, it really is miles better.

Best game this gen for me, shame about the bugs, but I hardly get any now.
  • Ranger 7 Aug 2011 13:45:46 933 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?

The wheel stand pro is great. Very well made, easy to fold and store away, very customisable in terms of height etc. I'd be a tad concerned about the low position you play from but I think it would be ok. Highly recommended, obviously expensive but I'm thinking it'll last forever as long as they keep releasing new adapters for new wheels.

Thats the only reason ive not taken the plunge and bought it as i know i sit in a low position and not sure if it will suite. Maybe you could measure the height to the bottom of the base (the bit that would sit on my knee) at its lowest setting, and i can see how that compares.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.