F1 2010 (Codemasters) Page 110

Next Last
  • superdelphinus 8 Aug 2011 15:23:52 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Monkeyspasm - yeah I have traction ctrl off on a pad. It's fine after you get used to it - only really tricky in wet sessions on twisty tracks. Could do with a sensitivity adjuster for the trigger though - there's a 'dead' space for a few millimetres of the trigger going in, and then a really severe curve of power.

I just started another career on legend, everything off with Williams and am 2nd in the championship after 2 rounds because Bahrain and oz are broken! Because of the fake(?) quali times i'm qualifying in reasonably realistic positions, but then the AI is too slow in the race. You can overtake them in insane positions in Bahrain for example - like around the outside of 6,7 and 8 for example!
  • IJ 8 Aug 2011 22:43:49 973 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?
    Yes MS wheel & pedals with wheel stand pro.

How are u finding the wheel stand pro. Im sitting on one of these with the wheel resting on my legs\knees. The seating positoin is great. Was thinking about getting one to make the wheel a bit more stable.

The wheel stand pro is great. Very well made, easy to fold and store away, very customisable in terms of height etc. I'd be a tad concerned about the low position you play from but I think it would be ok. Highly recommended, obviously expensive but I'm thinking it'll last forever as long as they keep releasing new adapters for new wheels.

Thats the only reason ive not taken the plunge and bought it as i know i sit in a low position and not sure if it will suite. Maybe you could measure the height to the bottom of the base (the bit that would sit on my knee) at its lowest setting, and i can see how that compares.

I'm looking at it now And it will definitely be fine. No only does it go very low but you'd lean the wheel 'arm' forward which will lower it as well. Basically you'll be playing like you we're IN an F1 car, legs flat and fully stretched out with the wheel only 40cm above the wheels.
  • SomaticSense 10 Aug 2011 13:49:05 15,062 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I agree with the comments about racing line off making the game more rewarding (and that having it on makes you bind to actually learning the track, but disagree that they should be removed entirely. Letting people play how they want is a key part of keeping someone playing... as you can see here, and as we've seen in the EG races - typically once someone is comfortable enough they'll want to remove the racing line anyway. It is still useful for getting someone who has never played a racer, or has struggled in 'pure' racers to actually make it around the track consistently....

most people i've watched play who have given up on a sim racer is exactly because they can't tell where to brake to start with and after crashing a few times lose interest... imagine having to play a fighting game on the hardest difficulty with no option to tone down the difficulty.

My point being is that you can garner exactly the same information via trackside architechture (barke markers, cameras, advertisment hoardings, etc) as you get from the racing line. Those that feel they need them actually don't, it's only by virtue of them being in every game that they gotten used to them as the norm. It'd be no different to CoD highlighting every single enemy throughout the map at all times, so you always know where they are. It defeats the point.

And if they are giving up on racing games for those reasons, then what makes them stick it out on other games of other genres that don't have similar 'stabiliser' systems? Do they still play FPS games without a system similar to my above CoD example? Of course they do, so why are racers any different? Perhaps it's more likely because racing games aren't really their cup of tea anyway...

imagine having to play a fighting game on the hardest difficulty with no option to tone down the difficulty.

It's not like that at all. A more pertinent example would be a fighter which didn't have all the button inputs on the screen at all times without the need to pause and go into the menu to look at them. F1 2010 has practice sessions to learn the tracks (as well as a rewind function...), just like fighters have practice modes to learn the moves.
  • shamblemonkee 10 Aug 2011 14:07:07 17,962 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just feel that as an option that can be turned off it's a bit strange to say that it shouldn't be in racing games. It adds an extra layer of granularity to the difficulty on top of the usual assists; traction control, anti-lock braking systems, stability control..... flashbacks, damage, tire and fuel simulation, the ruleset and computer controlled car speeds.

what my point basically distils down to is why not let people have a racing line if it helps them at first? They can learn how to control the car before learning the circuit. I'd argue things like TCS and ABS are a bigger problem (in forza those assists totally deaden the experience allowing you to just mash the accelerator)... especially when races turn wet.
  • superdelphinus 10 Aug 2011 19:51:24 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think they need to balance the aids a bit better. Sure have the help there for kids and people who can't be arsedto get better at the game, but make them more of a disadvantage compared to when you have them off (though I'm not sure racing lines is really an advantage anyway, not had them on in f1 2010 but I remember in Geoff crammond they told you to brake way too early etc). Having traction control and abs etc on should make you slower than if you had them off (despite being unrealistic), then people will actually want to try them off. Make the racing lines epilepsy inducing flashing great neon strobes in the middle of the screen or something!
  • shamblemonkee 10 Aug 2011 19:54:51 17,962 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    F1 2011 is tackling this by adding weight penalties above a certain rank for each assist you use i believe.
  • Ranger 12 Aug 2011 11:30:21 933 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    Ranger wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Are you wheeling it IJ?
    Yes MS wheel & pedals with wheel stand pro.

How are u finding the wheel stand pro. Im sitting on one of these with the wheel resting on my legs\knees. The seating positoin is great. Was thinking about getting one to make the wheel a bit more stable.

The wheel stand pro is great. Very well made, easy to fold and store away, very customisable in terms of height etc. I'd be a tad concerned about the low position you play from but I think it would be ok. Highly recommended, obviously expensive but I'm thinking it'll last forever as long as they keep releasing new adapters for new wheels.

Thats the only reason ive not taken the plunge and bought it as i know i sit in a low position and not sure if it will suite. Maybe you could measure the height to the bottom of the base (the bit that would sit on my knee) at its lowest setting, and i can see how that compares.

I'm looking at it now And it will definitely be fine. No only does it go very low but you'd lean the wheel 'arm' forward which will lower it as well. Basically you'll be playing like you we're IN an F1 car, legs flat and fully stretched out with the wheel only 40cm above the wheels.

Nice one, i think i might have to make the purchase. Cheers for that.
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2011 15:43:27 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do you guys race on Tuesday nights?
  • KingOfSpain 16 Aug 2011 15:51:15 5,289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Do you guys race on Tuesday nights?

The EG F1 Championship? Yes.

Join the group http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threads.php?group_id=2803 and jump in!
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2011 16:03:02 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yippee! Have been wanting to for a while but not had the time
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2011 16:04:04 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It says I don't have permission to view the group :(
  • L_Franko Moderator 16 Aug 2011 16:05:46 9,695 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You need to join first.
    You can access the group through KOS or my profile.
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2011 16:17:02 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool, thanks. What time is it on?
  • griff0x 16 Aug 2011 16:48:00 894 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    8pm
  • KingOfSpain 16 Aug 2011 16:48:36 5,289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lights out at 8. If you post your GT in the Championship thread Shambles will invite you just before the race.

Good luck!
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2011 17:19:59 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's superdelphinus
  • shamblemonkee 31 Aug 2011 08:46:53 17,962 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ah, Spa..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKueJqHLHY
  • monkman76 31 Aug 2011 09:23:02 14,544 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fun first lap!

SomaticSense wrote:
    My point being is that you can garner exactly the same information via trackside architechture (barke markers, cameras, advertisment hoardings, etc) as you get from the racing line. Those that feel they need them actually don't, it's only by virtue of them being in every game that they gotten used to them as the norm. It'd be no different to CoD highlighting every single enemy throughout the map at all times, so you always know where they are. It defeats the point.

Going to have to take issue with this on the use of the racing line. Having read this thread and feeling chastised for using the (corners only) line, I decided at the start of my third season I'd try with it off. Well, Bahrain was a bit of a disaster, despite a good hour trying to learn the track without the line. I let myself off as it's a tricky and long track, and switched it back on for quali and the race.

I'm much more familiar with Melbourne and it's a much shorter lap, so I switched it off again there. Long story short, no matter how much I practised, I was consistently 1-2 seconds slower with the line off. In competitive terms, that meant going from top 6 to around 17th (Legend AI in a Ferrari). Yeah, I could drop the AI to Pro and be competitive again. But it just got so frustrating.

My point is, I disagree that it's just the braking point that it gives you at the start of a corner. It guides you back to the correct line through the corner if you under- or oversteer, and most importantly, the dynamic nature of it (changing to red the faster you go through the corner, changing to green if you slow down too much) really helps maximise your speed through any corner.

I wish it weren't so, but I've got fairly quick through learning almost instinctively to modify what my feet are doing based on how the line is changing. Of course this is not 'correct', I should be sensing where I am on the track and my angle etc and adjusting based on that. Wish I wasn't so reliant on it, but I am. I don't know how to unlearn it. Maybe I'll switch it off from the start on F1 2011, or maybe I'll let myself off and just enjoy the game with it on :-P
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 12:08:39
    Being pestered to get an F1 game. Would F1 2010 be as good a purchase as 2011? Can't see many differences between the two on track. It'd be for PS3.

Presumably it works best with a wheel.
  • monkman76 16 Oct 2011 13:18:30 14,544 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At this moment in time, 2010 would probably be a better purchase, especially if it's much cheaper, considering how bug-ridden 2011 is. I bought 2011 on release but kept 2010 and am still playing the career on it.

Better on a wheel yes, but still very playable on a pad. Actually this might be where 2011 is an improvement. I don't know as I have a wheel :-)
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2019 15:46:46 18,991 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fucking hell the search function is utterly broken. Is there a thread for the most recent game?
  • samharper 9 Feb 2019 16:02:06 1,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As far as I can see/remember... no there is not.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.