Freelancer Demo Fix-Thingy

• Khab 28 Feb 2003 01:06:56 6,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I know a couple of others have been looking for this, so I thought I'd post it. I found this nifty little cheat, that apparently will let you explore away to your heart's content - it's a save game where you have negative worth, so you odn't have to worry about that leveling up.
  • skalmanxl 28 Feb 2003 08:37:28 982 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    How does it play btw? It looks amazing, and it's one of those games I've longed for. Anything like Privateer/Elite?
  • Whizzo 28 Feb 2003 10:43:39 44,807 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I played the demo quite a bit and I've decided that it's not what I want from a space game. It looks pretty enough but there's nothing underneath it that would hold any interest for me.
  • Nemesis 28 Feb 2003 10:49:16 19,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I downloaded it, didn't play it, deleted it. For shame, someone flog me with a piece of rough birch.

Er.

Sorry.
  • DocX 28 Feb 2003 11:02:14 1,963 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'm hoping that the missions in the full game are going have a bit more variety to them, as all those in the demo were 'fly to waypoint & kill pirates'. Even Elite Frontier had more than that. I did enjoy playing it, but I'll be reading the reviews before I buy it, cos I can see myself getting very bored unless there's more to do.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Feb 2003 11:07:28 40,158 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Reviews on IGN (92%) and Action Replay (82%) are up now. Not the most reliable sources, but the IGN review at least gives good in-depth impressions what the game is all about.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:07:39 28-02-2003
  • Whizzo 28 Feb 2003 11:41:56 44,807 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What I didn't like is the fact there's no dynamic economy, battles were very easy even up against a numerically superior force, the shields batteries and nanobots are basically magic potions, the awful stilted conversations "Have you got anything for me?" worse than poorly translated Japanese stuff, the completely stupid junk zones. There's more I didn't like but on the whole the demo was very disappointing, I won't be buying it even from somewhere I can return it.

Apparently the full game's story missions can be done in less than 12 hours and the random missions were dull enough in the demo I can't see myself wanting to pad out the game by doing more of them.

As I said in the other Freelancer thread hopefully Egosoft can do the business with X2.
  • Nemesis 28 Feb 2003 11:43:42 19,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Looking forward to X2, bit worried it'll be too much talking ;-)
  • Chris_C 28 Feb 2003 12:55:33 458 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think this game is very mis-understood! I reckon the best part of this game is two things...the single player, and the exploration bits.

Each of the single player missions are extremely intense with what I have played so far. You feel like you are in an rollarcoaster ride with an entire navy chasing behind you. I never had that feeling with any space sims I have played previously. (I still Freespace 2's "HOLY SHIT! No way I am mucking about with that battleship" feeling was better, but it's two different experience).

The ordinary missions are boring, but that's not the point of the game I think. The missions are just the developer's way of making you explore each space station.

Now the real joy of this game for me is exploring jump holes. I am not going to spoil anything, but if you explore the game a bit, you will find some hidden secret in the story, and that, i think is the gem of the game.

The random missions are boring if you can't access the hard ones and try to push your luck...I really enjoy trying to out-fly the AI and getting huge amount of money from a mission.

Think of the demo as a show-case for the control system, rather than the game!
  • brokenkey 28 Feb 2003 13:10:07 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    hmm. the freedom to explore that the game has been touted as having is actually pretty limited. For example, you have the police controlled jump gates, but there are also natural worm holes. Now you'd expect that if you found such a worm hold, it would just work. No, you have to reach a certain point in the game's linear storyline for that to happen.
  • Whizzo 28 Feb 2003 14:54:34 44,807 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Chris_C wrote:
    I think this game is very mis-understood!
    I believe the game was hyped as something it's not and any interesting feature that was promised over the years has been dropped. It's better than Starlancer but not by much. It's 20 years since Elite and still nothing has beaten it, that shows a distinct lack of imagination.

I-War 2 is two years old and is a far superior game than Freelancer and it looks better too!

And Chris_C considering the game hasn't been released anywhere yet how do you know so much about the final product?
  • brokenkey 28 Feb 2003 20:26:55 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Would his views be less valid if he was using a warez copy?

Edited by brokenkey at 20:27:39 28-02-2003
  • Whizzo 28 Feb 2003 20:44:44 44,807 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Would his views be less valid if he was using a warez copy?
    No of course not but it's not a good idea to be so open about such things, not only can it potentially harm EG but after what happened to Isonews it's a bit silly.
  • Dirtbox 28 Feb 2003 21:04:03 91,447 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Khab 28 Feb 2003 22:22:11 6,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I knew you'd like it, db. :)
  • Chris_C 28 Feb 2003 22:37:09 458 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, one of my friends has downloaded a version off the net or something like that. Watching it, and played a lot of it, I was loving every minute I have played. It was such a temptation to stay at his house :)

Sorry about the whole warez issue! What is the whole Isonews thing?

Well, this game is definitely game of the year atm (really showed that I shouldn't have spent the money on Unreal 2), and I will be looking foward to it when it comes out.

What is I-War 2 like? I haven't played it at all.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.