Following Nintendo 3DS Page 395

• nudistpete 7 Jun 2019 16:59:24 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DeraesPieterjan wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting a New 2DS XL soon.
    Do it. My top tip is to buy a cheap handgrip as well because, despite being awesome, the N2DSXL is seriously painful to hold for any length of time.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Jun 2019 19:03:15 4,210 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    but no manual drawing of maps
    You can draw the maps yourself if you are so inclined. I was not.

I enjoyed the two hours or so that I played it, then I just drifted away to something else new and shiny.
    Fair enough, I thought it was more Strange Journey style but Persona based :). As I said, still on the backlog. I think all I did was load it for the free time limited DLC and haven't actually started it yet.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2019 19:52:36
    It's been great starting again on Animal Crossing since buying another cheap 3ds XL. Just nice to play a relaxing chilled out game I can kind of zone out with. I've a couple of digital games I've not played either. Rune Factory 4 being one. There's still a large number of games I've missed. Things like the shin megami tensei games, Mario & Luigi, Persona Q, Dragon's Quest, Etrian Odyssey, Metroid Samus Returns, Ever Oasis to name more than a few :)
  • DeraesPieterjan 7 Jun 2019 21:21:53 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    DeraesPieterjan wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting a New 2DS XL soon.
    Do it. My top tip is to buy a cheap handgrip as well because, despite being awesome, the N2DSXL is seriously painful to hold for any length of time.
    Do you have any recommendations? :)

It looks really good on its own, but given that I don't live in a big city, and I have a habit of dropping things, I probably won't take my 2DS out too much. So a grip would definitely make sense!
  • nudistpete 10 Jun 2019 13:16:59 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DeraesPieterjan wrote:
    Do you have any recommendations? :)
    I bought Amazon's cheapest one at the time which is an AFUNTA. I think they're all the same.
  • senso-ji 24 Jun 2019 15:31:21 10,129 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just ordered a new 2DS xl with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I was hoping to get more games but holy shit are 3DS games pricey, whether brand new or used on ebay. £15 Nintendo selects are welcome. Hopefully they'll release Metroid: Samus Returns in that range soon. Any other recommendations? I generally prefer first party games for Nintendo systems.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Jun 2019 15:39:42 11,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of my favourite 3DS games. Definitely pick that up along with one or two of the Zelda games available - A Link Between Worlds if you have already played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
  • senso-ji 24 Jun 2019 15:46:51 10,129 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks. Those are good shouts because they are in the Nintendo selects range. Except Majora's mask, which is surprising given the other two Zelda games are.
  • nudistpete 24 Jun 2019 15:49:32 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wario Ware Gold is awesome, a real fitting send off to a brilliant series. Mario Kart 7 is actually pretty good, too.

The prices of 3DS games always puzzles me - non-select used versions of games still seem to retail for more than brand new shrinkwrapped select versions, MK7 is still £30+ despite being well overtaken by MK8, the system has been widely cracked open for yonks but carts are still worth their weight in gold. Yet occasionally you can get unbelievable bargs - I picked up Samus Returns for a tenner from Smyths in store.
  • DangerousDave_87 24 Jun 2019 19:15:30 6,866 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Super Mario 3D Land is a great, if short romp. It's plays like a blend of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Made by the same folk who worked on both of those games, I believe. Theatrythm: Final Fantasy is a great should if you're a fan of music games and Final Fantasy. Luigi's Mansion 2 is fantastic. I actually liked the mission based structure as it helps break up the game into smaller, digestible chunks. Suits portable gaming perfectly. Also, if you can find it cheap, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries is actually really enjoyable. It's mission structure also suits the portable nature of the system.

There's plenty of digital goodness to have a look at, too. Picross is a great little puzzler. Pullblox is a fantastic puzzle platformer from the Fire Emblem team. Steamworld Dig is a great mining platformer. Attack of the Friday Monsters, Mighty Switch Force, Box Boy, Nintendo Pocket Football Club and pretty much all the Sega 3D classics are worth a look, too.

Sorry for the bolding of text. Thought it would make for a TLDR shortcut.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Jun 2019 19:25:25 6,698 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't forget Pocket Card Jockey.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2019 19:31:29
    Yeah I recently got warioware on cart and bought final fantasy curtain call in the eshop sale.
  • Toaster05 24 Jun 2019 19:45:37 2,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pocket Card Jockey is the reason to own a 3DS!
  • Deleted user 24 June 2019 19:48:13
    Heh yep Pocket Card Jockey is bloody awesome.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jun 2019 15:07:11 4,210 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For me the Atlus games were the main draw. Shin Megami Tenseis and Etrian Odysseys. Also Fire Emblem.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. was also pretty cool strategy rpg by Intelligent Systems that plays a bit like Xcom battles that can be picked up really cheap. If you like them there are also the Layton games to play and the Mario/Luigi RPGs and remakes. If you want something that uses your 'new' hardware there is also Xenoblade.
  • THFourteen 25 Jun 2019 17:01:19 53,952 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do miss the days of being able to put one of these in my pocket wherever i went.
  • nudistpete 25 Jun 2019 17:03:31 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I do miss the days of being able to put one of these in my pocket wherever i went.
    Unless you've started to wear trousers with smaller pockets, why stop?
  • THFourteen 25 Jun 2019 17:05:06 53,952 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Unless you've started to wear trousers with smaller pockets, why stop?
    Heh, i can't put my Switch in my pocket, and i prefer to have games on a maximum of 2 systems (Switch and PC) otherwise nothing gets completed.
  • Toaster05 25 Jun 2019 17:09:39 2,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Don't you have a magnificent leather man bag for your consoles? You could easily squeeze in a 3DS.
  • THFourteen 25 Jun 2019 17:22:13 53,952 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Toaster05

Yeah but what i mean is, if i'm going somewhere that i have a bag - no issues, i can take my switch.

But if i don't want to take a bag, i dont want to carry around a pouch either.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2019 17:49:54
    Get a fanny pack.
  • markytonline83 25 Sep 2019 15:29:01 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I buy a secondhand 2ds that comes with Pokemon Sun built in (it’s the blue Pokemon themed version) when it comes to wiping the old users memory will it delete the game as well? Just wondering as there are a lot of 2ds with games like Mario Kart or New Super Mario Bros 2 built in and always wondered
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Sep 2019 19:20:02 4,210 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would guess that it will remove it. The only systems we ever got with 'free' games were both new and the only 3DS systems my family members had. If it has never had an NNID on it I don't know if you can just add your own and get the game on your account or not.
  • nudistpete 25 Sep 2019 19:48:55 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd ask the question in the 3ds reddit, if I were you.

I think you'd be fine, from what I remember so long as a system transfer hasn't been done to transfer the game to a new console, you should be able to download it from the eshop for free.
  • Cadence 25 Sep 2019 19:53:14 2,571 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't the software on the 3ds tied to the console rather than the account? Could be wrong though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Sep 2019 19:55:24 4,210 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    Isn't the software on the 3ds tied to the console rather than the account? Could be wrong though.
    Possibly. Maybe stays tied unless you do a system transfer. I agree it is probably best to ask on the 3DS Reddit.
  • oldskooldeano 25 Sep 2019 20:59:55 3,323 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Took my 3DS out with me today whilst I was doing some training near tower bridge. Got some streetpass hits. They still out there!
  • markytonline83 25 Sep 2019 22:11:53 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Update.

So got the second hand Pokemon 2ds. They hadn’t wiped anything off. But amazingly you can ‘reclaim’ the built in game when you do a system restore. You just clear all the memory then start from scratch, set the time, connect to internet etc then you go to the store and there is an option for ‘redownloadable software’ and that was it.
    I was worried as I knew how ‘backward’ Nintendo can be with things like this but it seems they tie a copy of each built in game to the actual console.
  • dominalien 25 Sep 2019 22:38:35 10,307 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, that's the very definition of backward.

Still, in this particular case, backward is forward, or something.
  • vyseofhr 26 Sep 2019 08:50:56 1,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Took my 3DS out with me today whilst I was doing some training near tower bridge. Got some streetpass hits. They still out there!
    The one thing I miss about 3DS more than anything else. I wish Switch had Streetpass.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.