PS2 betatesters wanted...

• sopaman 28 Feb 2003 16:04:24 261 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just in case somebody is interested, SCE has started looking for betatesters for its online service in France, Germany and Spain this week, in addition to the UK, where they had started a few weeks ago.

BTW I wonder how many PS2s are there are in the rest of Europe, do you know how many units were sold in your countries?.
    In Spain they've sold 1,500,000 units. The same goes for Germany (which is kind of bizarre, as in Spain we're just 40 million people and in Germany 82...)
  • Scientist 28 Feb 2003 16:14:56 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The market for videogames has collapsed in Germany. Some developers are even thinking of dropping German language support. Their stupid violence laws and the school shooting have had a marked impact.
  • sopaman 28 Feb 2003 16:26:56 261 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hum, i didn't know that
    well, i hope we reach the third place in the European VG market :) (the higher you are, the more they support our market and language). So that's nice.
  • Scientist 28 Feb 2003 16:29:38 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    De donde vienes? Mis padres viven en Valencia.
  • sopaman 28 Feb 2003 16:32:42 261 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    really? cool
    i'm from Orense, a small city in the Northeast of Spain (over Portugal).
    btw, sabes espaol?

Edited by sopaman at 16:33:41 28-02-2003
  • BartonFink 1 Mar 2003 01:45:07 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    sopaman wrote:
    Just in case somebody is interested, SCE has started looking for betatesters for its online service in France, Germany and Spain this week, in addition to the UK, where they had started a few weeks ago.
    Well in a word no, partly because I don't have BB and partly because it could not by any stretch of the imagination be called a Service. They are providing the BB adaptor but the publishers, ala PC, are providing the *service*, err no thanks. Even if I had BB I would go with XBL. No fanboi rantings I think it is just a better online model. The Sony offering just seems like a kneejerk reaction to XBL or a stopgap before they really offer an onlne service with PS3.
  • BLACKSHEEP 1 Mar 2003 17:44:27 63 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well Sony are making amends to get a service similar to the XBL, microsoft have created. Check out the news from next weeks GDC for info on their deal with IBM & Butterfly over a Distributed server network that can cater for thousands of games in a supercomputer-like enviroment with ID for all games. Also Voice-over-IP middlewear to match the XB Headset. An incentive to get developers including online options with every new game and help with technical hurdles to achieve it.

Word is that GT4 is gonna be Online only and HDD compatible which means we won't see it till late 2004. :(
  • st3ph3n 1 Mar 2003 17:53:46 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    TBH, I don't see the major difference between XBL and PS2 online. Either way the makers of the game still have to provide the abillity in the game for online play, and the server support for it. Downloads obviously comes into it, but then the PS2 can't do that without the HD.

I also believe sony were first to the market and first to announce their intentions. So I'd hardly call that a knee jerk reaction.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2003 17:58:29
    sopaman, cool! Ill probably register, as Im about to get an Internet connection soon. Living in Mallorca, originally from Sweden. Speaking of connections, should I try to get ONO or is Telefonica good enough?
  • theheadcharge 1 Mar 2003 18:35:53 471 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I personally think that xbox live will be the best online service. Anyone who is taking part in the beta test stage says its excellent and easy to use. The xbox HD will allow for patches and new levels, and annoying as it is for me as i dont have broadband, forcing everyone to have the same connection will mean less lag, lower pings, and no 56kers moaning that the only reason you killed them was because of your higher connection speed, or 'Aw cmon, i ws in mddle of a spike u n00b.'
    Not moaning because i have suffered at the hands of these types of people, but it used to piss me off in counterstrike when ppl said things like that.
  • sopaman 2 Mar 2003 20:09:23 261 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    valli wrote:
    sopaman, cool! Ill probably register, as Im about to get an Internet connection soon. Living in Mallorca, originally from Sweden. Speaking of connections, should I try to get ONO or is Telefonica good enough?

ONO cable is not available in my area so i can't really compare it to Telefonica. I heard ONO's service is better and cheaper than Telefonica's, but i don't know for sure, sorry.
    I've got 256kbps DSL access from Telefonica and it costs around 40 a month. I haven't had problems with it so far.

Edited by sopaman at 20:10:35 02-03-2003

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.