Thailand Page 8

• kingbear 26 Jan 2014 22:10:12 15 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I want to go to Thailand to basically just train muay thai > eat > relax > sleep > repeat. I know the food there is pretty cheap, but what about accomodation? I would stay for a month or two, so I don't know what's the best solution for that. I would probably travel with one friend.
  • localnotail 27 Jan 2014 00:32:30 23,072 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Accommodation can be pretty cheap, depends on your standards
    There was a lot of Muay Thai boxing on Koh Lanta last time I was there. It's a very good island for diving too, and even if you don't dive/are skint you can snorkel off the scuba boats for a nice price. Loads to see.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 27 Jan 2014 08:09:27 14,557 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm actually here at the minute, up in Chiang Mai. It's a lovely place, much more relaxed and cheaper than many of the other places I've been.

The political trouble hasn't impacted me too much yet. The bars up here went into lock down for a few days over the weekend but so far outside of Bangkok that's the only sign of any unrest.
  • smemma 27 Jan 2014 08:23:46 688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Inquisitor That's standard practice actually - whenever there's a vote, booze is banned the day before and on the actual voting day, and yesterday was advanced voting - all bars shut in BKK too. Apparently people can't be trusted to vote without being shitfaced here!!
  • Darth_Flibble 28 Jan 2014 21:28:07 3,529 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    booked my holiday! 1 week in phuket and 1 week on phi phi. can't wait
  • Skynet 27 Mar 2014 13:26:19 170 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I went top Thailand for the first time last year for 3 weeks and was probably the best holiday I've been on. Great scenery, food and people.

Although is it just me or is everyone going here now or just SE Asia in general? Everyone I speak to has been there, going there or knows someone who has been.
    From watching that BBC3 show Thailand's at risk of being a new haven for British drunks, thankfully i didn't see too many of them when I was there.

But I suppose as the airfares come down in price these untouched exotic places are going to become more and more westernized. Maybe in 20-30 years Africa will be the new place to go to.

I hear Vietnam is like what Thailand was like in the 1980s now, cheaper and less touristy.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2014 14:04:05 27,192 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Skynet wrote:
    I went top Thailand for the first time last year for 3 weeks and was probably the best holiday I've been on. Great scenery, food and people.

Although is it just me or is everyone going here now or just SE Asia in general? Everyone I speak to has been there, going there or knows someone who has been.
    From watching that BBC3 show Thailand's at risk of being a new haven for British drunks, thankfully i didn't see too many of them when I was there.

But I suppose as the airfares come down in price these untouched exotic places are going to become more and more westernized. Maybe in 20-30 years Africa will be the new place to go to.

I hear Vietnam is like what Thailand was like in the 1980s now, cheaper and less touristy.
    It depends where you go in Thailand, it's easy to avoid the tourist hoards.
    Vietnam is fantastic and less touristic but I think comparing it to 1980s thailand is an exaggeration.
  • cjb_bjc 27 Mar 2014 17:30:43 2,076 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting to hear your views. I spent 12 weeks in Thailand a few years back Island hopping and such and it's pretty touristy already. People say the hay day was 10 years ago. Still Thailand can be stupidly cheap 3 a night for accom and bit the same for food. Now the phillipines... That's unspoilt territory right there.
  • twelveways 27 Mar 2014 17:54:55 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Philippines unspoilt? That's a first...I love the Philippines but you have way more chance of getting ripped off, mugged or meeting a sex tourist there than anywhere else in S.E. Asia.

My missus is from there and we go at least once a year, I love it because, as I am living in China, it is the most western place in the vicinity.
  • Tonka 27 Mar 2014 18:56:41 29,679 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @cjb_bjc I was in Thailand ten years ago and it was touristy as hell. Still very nice though.

Edited by Tonka at 18:57:03 27-03-2014
  • cjb_bjc 27 Mar 2014 20:44:11 2,076 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lol that's what I mean everyone says the same thing. Oh you should have come years ago it was much less touristy/better. There are always places that are more popular than others. Phi phi and the like are well known but nice little Islands like koh lipe were a dream. Same with the phillipines but to a lesser degree. Borocay was beautiful but very crowded however we flew over to cebu and then to a little island camotes and I swear we were one of the only tourists there. 2 weeks of paradise :D
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Jul 2014 21:21:45 6,489 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wrong thread.

Edited by TheMayorOfJugs at 21:28:20 02-07-2014
  • Ziz0u 2 Jul 2014 21:28:03 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /looks at thread title

:confused: ;)
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Jul 2014 21:28:54 6,489 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zizoo wrote:
    /looks at thread title

:confused: ;)
    Just realised :D
  • damagedinc 14 Oct 2015 23:17:17 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im a terrible flyer and booking flights soon cant decide between a direct flight with eva air or a one stop with emirates.

Anyone flown with eva?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2015 23:38:47 27,192 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Im a terrible flyer and booking flights soon cant decide between a direct flight with eva air or a one stop with emirates.

Anyone flown with eva?
    I'd personally always take direct over a stopover, never heard of Eva.
  • Tonka 15 Oct 2015 06:19:57 29,679 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stop over's are a pain in the ass. Flights are a pain in the ass to be honest. At least in economy class.

Get the direct one and cut back on hassle. Plus Emirates are basically running a slave trade so you'll be doing the world a favour.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2015 06:22:53
    It depends where the stopover is and how long it is. Dubai, for 12 hours? Perfect! That's how long you need to get annoyed with it.
  • Tonka 15 Oct 2015 06:51:30 29,679 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had a nice four hour stopover in Reykavik once. Perfect for changing dipers and making some formula on our 10 month baby.

If you think airplane toilets are tiny just wait until you have to change diapers in one.

Another "good" thing with stopovers is that they give the luggage haulers an extra chance to lose and or bang up your bags. It also doubles your odds of missing a flight.

But hey, 12 hours in a city, built by slave labour, with nothing to see but a caravan of feces hauling trucks and shopping malls! Might be worth it.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2015 06:53:59
    I love Reykjavik. Annual pilgrimage to Airwaves is back on this year.
  • damagedinc 15 Oct 2015 07:04:02 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its a two hour stop over in dubai so barely enough time to grab a coffee and a have a poo. Looked up EVA air supposed to be quite good and one of the best safety records, this for me screams "your plane will crash" flown nearly 50 times and each one is a nightmare.

Talking of reykjavik mrs damagedinc is taking me there for my 30th birthday. Always wanted to see the northen lights so fingers crossed the weather is kind for seeing it.
  • Tonka 15 Oct 2015 07:11:11 29,679 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I love Reykjavik. Annual pilgrimage to Airwaves is back on this year.
    They tend to be, don't they?
  • Tonka 15 Oct 2015 07:11:54 29,679 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Its a two hour stop over in dubai so barely enough time to grab a coffee and a have a poo.
    Come to think of it, there are benefits of stop overs.
  • Dazwash 15 Oct 2015 07:39:00 63 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @damagedinc EVA air are Taiwanese, flown with them numerous times and no issues whatsoever. Good solid airline, I have been living in Thailand for the past 8 months and a direct flight is not so bad. The time soon passes by, plus once you get near the view of the jungles from your window is pretty cool.

Edited by Dazwash at 07:43:28 15-10-2015
  • Trafford 15 Oct 2015 08:31:14 8,372 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EVA are good, a lot of bookers prefer them over Thai and BA.

I'd go via the Gulf with the Arabs though, prefer two 7ish hour flights with a break in-between.
  • Darth_Flibble 15 Oct 2015 08:48:48 3,529 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Flown with EVA before and booked them again for next year as previous flight was fine. Also prefer them over Thai and BA. Went with thai airways back in March and the flight was bad (heard they have new planes for the route now), one good thing the plane was half empty on the way back so you could lay down.
  • damagedinc 15 Oct 2015 12:58:57 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good to hear others that have been with eva. May fly with them then. Flew with singapore airways ten years ago and was prob the best flight i have had.

Quite like the idea of less takeoffs
  • Deleted user 4 November 2015 16:45:02
    What about the street food
  • Trafford 4 Nov 2015 16:49:13 8,372 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought street food was slang for sex work.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.