Thailand Page 9

Next Last
  • Deleted user 4 November 2015 16:52:19
    Gosh, maybe. With kids
  • BinaryBob101 29 Dec 2015 00:00:40 26,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome.

Well done for taking a post completely out of context and trimming away the third paragraph.

I stand by my opinion too. It is more than a little bizarre to me that a STRAIGHT guy would want to fuck a Kathoey, or be interested.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 00:01:44 29-12-2015
  • Deleted user 29 December 2015 04:22:59
    Tch, labels
  • twelveways 29 Dec 2015 08:53:34 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Binarybob being binary.
  • DodgyPast 29 Dec 2015 13:41:37 9,307 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    From anecdotal experience the guys who are into katoey do tend to be more than a little eccentric.
  • Load_2.0 29 Dec 2015 13:44:14 29,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I always do either Living on a Prayer or Free Fallin' by Tom Petty.
  • Load_2.0 29 Dec 2015 13:44:38 29,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    LoaP by Bon Jovi obvs.
  • RyanDS 5 Jan 2017 05:32:09 12,800 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just in Bangkok finishing up a couple of weeks here. Did Bangkok, koh Chang and now back in Bangkok for last couple of days.

I will go against the grain and say I don't really like it. It is okay, the weather and beaches are nice, but it is all just so fucking touristy. By a long way the most commercial place I have ever been. Koh Chang was like ibiza. Just entirely bars, white Europeans and clubs. And it is supposed to be one of the quieter island... phuket etc must be hell on earth.

I like backpacking, and this was more like Disneyland. It is a great place to go for a package type holiday, but is nowhere near backpacking anymore.

Bangkok on the other hand I like, it actually feels like a foreign city that has its own personality rather than existing only to please tourists. You can find dive local bars etc.

Maybe I just went to the wrong island. I didn't get a chance to do kanchanburi etc, but honestly I am not sure if I will come back. Next time Will try Cambodia maybe, see if it still has its soul.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jan 2017 11:12:50 3,539 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I felt the bits of Thailand were similar to what ylu said, very tluristy, very 'fake' although I include Bangkok in that too (I was only there for a few days though). I much preferred Cambodia (I always did the countries together in my trips and always preferred Cambodia) as despite the obvipus tourism the people felt more genuine and ot was possible to avoid the other tourists (I travelled from Phnom Penh up to Preah Vihear the second trip and went 2 days with no other tlurists encountered)
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jan 2017 12:11:07 27,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Just in Bangkok finishing up a couple of weeks here. Did Bangkok, koh Chang and now back in Bangkok for last couple of days.

I will go against the grain and say I don't really like it. It is okay, the weather and beaches are nice, but it is all just so fucking touristy. By a long way the most commercial place I have ever been. Koh Chang was like ibiza. Just entirely bars, white Europeans and clubs. And it is supposed to be one of the quieter island... phuket etc must be hell on earth.

I like backpacking, and this was more like Disneyland. It is a great place to go for a package type holiday, but is nowhere near backpacking anymore.

Bangkok on the other hand I like, it actually feels like a foreign city that has its own personality rather than existing only to please tourists. You can find dive local bars etc.

Maybe I just went to the wrong island. I didn't get a chance to do kanchanburi etc, but honestly I am not sure if I will come back. Next time Will try Cambodia maybe, see if it still has its soul.
    You were right next to Koh Mak and Koh Kood, not very touristy. Why didn't you switch?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jan 2017 12:11:43 27,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I felt the bits of Thailand were similar to what ylu said, very tluristy, very 'fake' although I include Bangkok in that too (I was only there for a few days though). I much preferred Cambodia (I always did the countries together in my trips and always preferred Cambodia) as despite the obvipus tourism the people felt more genuine and ot was possible to avoid the other tourists (I travelled from Phnom Penh up to Preah Vihear the second trip and went 2 days with no other tlurists encountered)
    Bangkok is "very fake"?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jan 2017 17:10:54 3,539 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, everyone seems out only for your money. All smiles felt forced and the people didn't feel as genuine as most of the people I met in Cambodia. Trying to think of a way to word it... I didn't get to go too far out into the countryside in Thailand though (which I take it people would assume from my 2 days at a time in Thailand (3 trips)) (one of which was ruined by a stomach bug so not blaming the atmosphere on that one). With how people raved aboit Thailand I found it to be one of the worst of the countries to visit in SE Asia (also did Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and obviously Cambodia), with only Bali coming close for the tourist trap vibe.

I did consider a longer trek further off the beaten path but travelled tranSiberia home instead.
  • Tonka 5 Jan 2017 17:21:07 29,653 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I found Thailand very touristy back in 2004. Can't what it must be like now. That said, you could still go to different beaches on an island and have completely different experiences.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jan 2017 17:22:06 3,539 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't do any beaches as I am not really a beach tourist. I did some historical stuff and checked out some bars in the evenings.
  • Deleted user 5 January 2017 18:31:45
    I hate going on holiday as a tourist and finding touristy things
  • monkman76 5 Jan 2017 18:58:01 14,832 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely the point of backpacking is if you don't like the place you're in, you move on somewhere else? Or did you just buy a package holiday and take a backpack instead of a suitcase?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jan 2017 23:17:28 3,539 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Surely the point of backpacking is if you don't like the place you're in, you move on somewhere else? Or did you just buy a package holiday and take a backpack instead of a suitcase?
    Who? I didn't go backpacking. I just thought I would look at Thailand on way in and out of an 8 day holiday I had while working in Korea the first time.

Touristy things are fine, it is the in your faceness of the locals trying to sell you tat/girls/illegal stuff that grates. Bangkok also had lots of shitty taxis that would refuse to run the meter (so I would wait for another taxi who would and likely tip to the value the refusing driver had asked anyway). Bali was the worst place for it by far though but had to go there enroute to Komodo as flights to Labuan Bajo were weather dependent. But that is slipping from the Thailand topic now ;)

Thailand was most disappointing holiday destination with how people always rave about it but it is still worth a look to see some of the stuff there and as I said if I had more time I was going to explore the north away from the big cities and towns.
  • monkman76 6 Jan 2017 05:35:35 14,832 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS.
  • damagedinc 6 Jan 2017 05:44:47 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never understood the taxi thing in Thailand..every book recommends you run off the meter but largely in Bangkok most would only ever charge you 200 bar...which is what 4 quid?

A lot less when you go further south.

I loved Thailand I thought it was mental In places and ridicously relaxed in others. We moved about a lot and I was expecting a lot of what was mentioned above.

Unfortunately in today's world you will be hard pushed to find anywhere non "touristy"

Also thais get paid fuck all. Lucky to make 100 bar a day in some places.  Don't begrudge them trying to get a few extra quid of me if I am In thier country.
  • twelveways 6 Jan 2017 06:04:52 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baht
  • damagedinc 6 Jan 2017 06:32:38 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Baht
    It's early
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Jan 2017 12:51:56 3,539 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @damagedinc Principles. You will note that I mentioned that I usually paid the full 200 Baht asking price with a tip included for the ones who actually ran their meter rather than accepting that as a fixed price from a driver who refused to run the meter. I would rather pay the amount for a driver who is being honest than one that is just trying to skim tourists. I don't go with the backpacker mentality of trying to go as low price for me as possible, I get cheap hotels but not hostels etc. I usually tip reasonably well in poorer countries, based on if I am treated well myself. Obviously in places like Cambodia where there aren't metered taxis tourists will be given a higher charge but when 1-2 dollars gets you anywhere in a city I don't complain.

As for nontouristy, I saw a couple of interesting sounding islands in Indonesia I fancied visiting but were a little too far off the beaten track to go without bringing a guide with you or knowing the language.

I only visited a very small bit of Thailand but after hearing the love of Bangkok specifically (a place I did spend a few days) I had to respond. Then again in most countries I have never been a fan of the 'main' cities (Tokyo, Seou, Kuala Lumpurl etc) preferring the smaller or secondary cities (Osaka, Busan/Gwangju, Malacca, etc) so I know that Bangkok is not a fair representation of the country as a whole.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.