Thailand Page 3

• johnlenham 23 Apr 2010 16:58:44 4,000 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well it was a nice thread while it lasted :/
  • Zidargh 23 Apr 2010 17:00:49 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah go back on topic. Fuck off Lukey now.

Any of you got any funny anecdotes you can share of your Thai experiences?
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 17:05:14 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got drugged on my second day there by myself, I realised soon enough and escaped to my room and woke up about 12 hours later kidneys intact
    woo
  • Zidargh 23 Apr 2010 17:05:35 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What?
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 17:11:40 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    long story, in BKK on my own, wandering round the temples, sat down and started talking to some guy that seemed nice. He said he was heading out to his brothers house to celebrate his niece's birthday (turning 21 or something) and ended up inviting me. Me as a wet behind the ears traveller thought it was a great idea to get out of Bangkok and meet/live with some locals, hopefully a hot daughter. Blah blah...got there and they made me a coffee, 'Mmmm, that's really nice but quite strong'. Ended up feeling a little funny, went to the bathroom and noticed by pupils were as big as 5p coins. Made my excuses and made my way out, away quite a lot of them trying to get me to stay etc.

Got a cab, hot daughter also got in saying she needed to see her gran in Bangkok...was basically rocking back and forth like a madman needing the loo trying to stay awake, made it to my bed and was out like a light!

close call, if it was any stronger or I was any smaller I would of probably woken up in in ice bath with my kidneys missing (or what ever the usual rumours are now)
  • Zidargh 23 Apr 2010 17:14:44 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck.ing.hell.

Tell me more! What did you do next!? Surely you reported it, even if they wouldnt do anything? How did you not get put off?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Apr 2010 17:16:35 32,290 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    I got drugged on my second day there by myself, I realised soon enough and escaped to my room and woke up about 12 hours later kidneys intact
    woo
    I read that completely wrong and thought you'd managed to drug yourself. I was then expecting far more hilarity from your story :)
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 17:19:49 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not much more to say about it really, because it was some random guy I met going to some random place over an hour away couldn't really trace it, I basically got on a coach to Chang Mai and booked a tour with a company and travelled round up there until I had to head back to Bangkok for my flight to Katmandu.

Sure was an eye opener, my first proper full day of travel by myself in my 7 month trip..but it did get better.

Don't want to put anyone off, but it's important not to be too trusting when in these kind of situations.
  • Zidargh 23 Apr 2010 17:21:36 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bet your parents hated hearing about that haha. Thank god you were alright.
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 17:21:46 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking now, I wish I told the police because he was probably targeting lone tourists with the same story over and over...only just realised now. Doh!

Guess my thoughts on getting the hell outta dodge!
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 17:23:48 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, my mum freaked when we met up at Xmas in Goa...then she left me for a few more months there, probably should of waited when I saw her again in London :D

It's a good story though, love telling it in person with all the voices/actions haha
  • BinaryBob101 23 Apr 2010 18:18:43 26,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, this story proves that there are some pretty basic rules to follow when travelling alone anywhere in the World.

The first being, trust strangers as much as you would here. Definitely don't get into cars with people who say they're nice.
  • danathjo 23 Apr 2010 18:25:50 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's right, could just as easily happen anywhere in England...in fact getting into some random strangers car and excepting drinks would be even more likely end up badly in the UK than in Asia.
  • Lukey__b 26 Apr 2010 09:34:09 3,716 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Nah go back on topic. Fuck off Lukey now.

Any of you got any funny anecdotes you can share of your Thai experiences?

I think youíll find I was fishing for a ladyboy Thai story. If a story about a ladyboy in Thailand isnít an amusing anecdote, I donít know what is.

Thanks for that Binarybob. I was thinking of taking around £2000. A friend of mine told me I would only need £800 - £1000, but he chats shit and his holiday was funded by his rich parents who put him in a swish hotel with his girlfriend.

After hearing that story from Danathjo, how safe is travelling SE Asia alone? I know itís a bit of a Ďhow long is a piece of stringí question, but if I had the option of going with a couple of friends or by myself what would be the best option? Bearing in mind that the people I would be going with are my mate and his girlfriend above and I can only stand about 10 minutes of his girlfriend before I would be begging for someone to take my kidneys.
  • danathjo 26 Apr 2010 10:11:25 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well Lukey, even after that experience i'd say it's quite safe travelling through SE Asia alone as long as you're not silly and keep your wits about you...there will always be some shady types that will pry on the tourists but no more than anywhere else in the world. You will get ripped off in your first couple of weeks, but when I say ripped it will still be cheap as cheaps after converting to pounds but this is all part of the fun and learning experience!

Before any of my big trips I tended to post a lot on the Lonely Planet thorn tree forum, heaps of people there to help out every need for every budget. Haven't been there for a while but I presume it's still a good place.

Also have to say that going it alone is by far the best and life changing experience i've ever...experienced! And no matter how shy you may be you will still end up making some great travelling buddies along the way. Just don't be one of those types that have to get shit faced every day and ignoring the locals on the whole, you can trust strangers to a certain degree, just don't be silly about it.

In India I ended up meeting a wonderful family on the train to the Pakistan border, had a great chat and ended up swapping details, about a week later I got really violently ill and in desperation got back in contact with them, ended up staying in thier village for almost a month as i was nursed back to health. Was truly one of the best/wonderful experiences ever that would of never happened if I stuck to the 'don't trust anybody' mind set, was quite a humbling couple of weeks being stuck in bed with a family I didn't really know...although ended on a sour note as they tried to marry thier daughter off to me, but that's another story!

Last tip from me on the matter, keep a diary! Even small details of your day will be an absolute treasure to read months/years later. Sometimes when i'm feeling down i'll have a read through it, see some of the clippings/stickers etc I also stuck in there during my travels...one of my most treasured items in the world is that diary! I never write outsite of travel but sometimes when you're on an empty beach with nothing but your thoughts, not much else can beat it for a chill out session.

sorry, did waffle on a bit :p
    hope that all makes sense!
  • Lukey__b 26 Apr 2010 10:25:53 3,716 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D thatís the kind of thing I need to hear, thanks. Sounds like you really did have some amazing experiences.

I think youíve sealed it for me now. I am going travelling next year for at least a year. It was only going to be a couple of months before I started Uni, but Iím 24 now anyway so that wonít hurt to wait.

Going to have to find an easy way to get out of going with my mate and his misses. As much as I get on with the fella, we are quite different people and I donít fancy his plans of getting Ďfucked upí around Thailand.

My main concern with travelling is spiders. Iím a complete pussy with anything the size of a house spider up. How prevalent were they on your travels? I can deal with the odd one here and there, but the idea of putting up with them in nearly every place I stay would be a nightmare. Iíd have to get hypnotised or something.
  • Zidargh 26 Apr 2010 10:29:21 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My girlfriend made me a lovely scrap book with each page dedicated to each destination. She's very artistic so it looks the part with all the themes and Air Mail envelopes for my special documents of each trip.

I'll be booking this beginning of June. Scared shitless.
  • danathjo 26 Apr 2010 10:38:54 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :D awesome, good to hear
    can't really remember any spiders situations during my travels (did grow up in Australia though), plently of mozzies though so don't forget your tropical spray!! Just don't go sticking your hand into dark holes and you should be fine, most stuff is harmless if you don't prevoke it 'more scared of you etc'

Really envy you mate, getting married next month myself with plans on babies quite soon after so that kind of travel is out of the question for myself for quite a while! Just jump in with an open mind, kind heart and lots of patience...and again, don't forget to take the headphones out/book down every now and then and take in your surroundings when on train/bus journeys!

oh god....reading back i'm so full of cheesy cliches, still true though!
  • Tonka 26 Apr 2010 10:39:26 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At a Burger King in Bangkok I was approach by two fat ladies who wanted me to come to their place and talk to their younger sister who was going to Sweden to study.

Yeah right.

I met a few others who had been approached in similar ways. Always with the yonger sister going to their country to study.

There was also the fortune teller who wanted me to sit cross legged without shoes in a back alley.

Just say no.

But then there are all the people helping you with making reservations, showing you the way, taking pictures with you etc etc.

Just say no to anything slightly dodgy and you'll be fine. It's worse in bigger tourist spots.
  • Zidargh 26 Apr 2010 10:41:17 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lukey_B, perhaps we will meet. ;) Maaaaybe, you will be a ladyboy who is pestering me.
  • Tonka 26 Apr 2010 10:46:51 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Last question; I'm presuming its quite easy to get yourself into a romantic situation out there? Not with ladyboys of course.

Are you worried that you will get drunk and have an affair? Or that you will stumble upon the love of your life whilst away?

On the former I have no advice. On the latter: Yes, that is perfectly possible and could cause some trouble. But it worked out great for me. I met my wife in a park in Beijing. We spent 3 weeks together then 2 years apart. Those two years were bitter sweet agony.
  • Lukey__b 26 Apr 2010 10:55:32 3,716 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Lukey_B, perhaps we will meet. ;) Maaaaybe, you will be a ladyboy who is pestering me.

Once Iíve tucked it away, you wonít be able to resist ;)

Now Iíve just got to try and save up or at least pay off the loans Iíve got to make room for another loan.

Out of interest and not a desire to stalk you, what countries are you planning on visiting Zidargh?
  • Zidargh 26 Apr 2010 11:06:46 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basically... Im a 21 year old guy and Ive been with the same girl for 4 years. I have a tendency to inadvertently charm girls and I worry that being in an exotic, foreign locale will change my priorities somewhat. I know its freewill and all that, but just the mindset. :/

Your meeting with your wife sounds lovely though. Kind of amazing how easy it is really isnt it?

@Lukey: Im starting off in Japan for a month. Then going to work my way through SE Asia like Thailand, Vietnam, maaaaaybe Cambodia but as a I say, the whole thing sounds quite morbid to me. I want to do a diving course in Malaysia to conquer my fear of sharks then meet a mate in Hong Kong. Thats my plan for 3 and a bit months.

Then Ill come back, work some easy job for more money, then Ill resume in Feb next year.
  • danathjo 26 Apr 2010 11:12:46 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Concrete, yeah...after having quite a bit of experience of drug taking in my youth the tell tale signs, the eyes being the first obvious one was a give away, along with the dizzyness and over powering sense of wanting to fall asleep in the middle of the day.

Also, I actually met him in probably the biggest tourist zone in Bangkok too, the whole dodgey vibe of trying to push more drinks on me when wanting to leave too.
  • gareth886 26 Apr 2010 11:17:48 2,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lots of regional specific advise about Thailand but I'll start with Bangkok first as most people end up there first.

Don't listen to Tuk Tuk Drivers wanting to take you on a tour. You'll end up ripped off.
    Around The Grand Palace there will be loats of tuk tuk drivers trying to tell you the palace is closed or you are wearing the wrong clothes so can't get in. Instead they will offer to take you to see the "Lucky Buddha". There is no such thing so say no and walk away immediately.

Infact there are countless scams, your best bet is to just pick up a copy of Lonely Planet.
  • Zidargh 26 Apr 2010 11:33:43 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What the Tuk Tuk driver waited around for you to get pissed?

That sound excellent. Definitely a day one activity.
  • Zidargh 26 Apr 2010 11:45:23 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its also damn nice. How much is a Singha out there?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.