Sega, EA & Microsoft

• Deleted user 28 February 2003 17:56:32
    Not sure how many of you guys also read [link=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/">GI.biz but this
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 28 Feb 2003 18:30:31 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, that's popping up everywhere. Asian newspaper reported it, Bloomberg has reported it.

I don't know if it's true or not, but Microsoft will outbid EA. Microsoft won't let EA get it's grubby hands on Sega's online expertise- no way.

Off-topic, here is some more information about why EA is reluctant to develope for Xbox Live and if you are an Xbox fan it will both 1) Increase dislike of EA and 2) Increase your liking of Microsoft.

"Where's the Beef?
    What is EA's beef with XBL? Any chance they will have a change of heart?"

- Ryan

Hil Says: From what we understand (taking in arguments from both sides of this mess) is that EA feels MS should basically give them money or at least development discounts for making Live games. MS says no way, play the game like everyone else and you'll make plenty of cash. The proof is on MS' side here as Ghost Recon sold an astounding million copies thanks to that lovely little Xbox Live stamp. Will this ever change? Not bloody likely.

Down with EA! That would be like Sony approaching the Japanese government asking for tax breaks! It'd kill competition!
  • JaysonG 28 Feb 2003 19:05:58 830 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well sony are going to give all there devs royalty breaks if their games feature online elements.

So why don't MS?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 28 Feb 2003 19:26:09 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Jayson-- Sony is giving everyone development royalty breaks for making online games. That is a very wise move.

The issue here, however, is that EA is demanding it get incentives and royalty breaks for using Xbox Live. That would be unfair for other developers planning to use Xbox Live. It would hurt competition. EA should be shot for even demanding that. "Play the game like everyone else"

But I don't think it is really necessary for Microsoft to give developer royalty breaks for it's Xbox Live games-- though I guess that'd be really nice. The main difference between Sony's online plan and Microsoft's is Microsoft runs all the servers-- Sony expects third parties to run their own. So obviously it costs a lot more money and time to make online games for PS2 and Sony has done a good job of helping developers out by dropping royalty fees.

3rd party's merely have to implement the Xbox Live code into their games, and more often than not (according to IGN), they've been getting free assistance from Xbox Technology Group. Fan's pay for the servers in the form of subscriptions-- it is completely free for developers to use. Which is why, despite Xbox having merely a fraction of the user base as PS2, Xbox has many more online games in the works.
  • terminalterror 28 Feb 2003 22:37:38 18,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wobble+
  • BartonFink 1 Mar 2003 02:48:49 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    I don't know if it's true or not, but Microsoft will outbid EA. Microsoft won't let EA get it's grubby hands on Sega's online expertise- no way.
    One of the funniest posts you have done to date BGiE. Sorry but I find that statement absolutely hilarious. Yup they may not let EA get it's grubby hands on Sega but it definately won't be for it's online expertise.
  • BartonFink 1 Mar 2003 03:09:09 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    JaysonG wrote:
    Well sony are going to give all there devs royalty breaks if their games feature online elements.

So why don't MS?
    Very simple answer to this MS are acting as a Service provider and Sony are not. In the case of XBL MS will host the servers and in the case of Sony it's anybodys guess, the publishers will be in control not Sony. This seems to be EAs big problem.
    The Sony offering is not offering a service they are simply providing the transport layer (BB adaptor). The publishers will be in control as in the case of online PC games and Sony will have absolutely no control but they will get royalties for people playing games using a PS2. This however leaves everything in the publishers control ala PC. Progress? Hmmm how do I answer that one? Not.
    The XBL model offers the user a subscription to XBL. What are you paying for? MS host the entire system good/bad I dunno I don't care at least everything will be centralised.
    Friend lists you can choose who you want to play with.
    You can choose to invite another player to a game.
    Accountability: It is a closed system people will know you are and if you are a complete idiot cheat etc. you will get bumped off the system altogether. Great idea.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 1 Mar 2003 06:36:45 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "One of the funniest posts you have done to date BGiE. Sorry but I find that statement absolutely hilarious. Yup they may not let EA get it's grubby hands on Sega but it definately won't be for it's online expertise."

Huh? I'm up for laughing at myself just as much as anyone-- I'm just not sure what was funny or not. Please clarify- thanks!

And yeah, Xbox Live = Good for Developers which means it's also good for gamers. I think just about everyone agrees Xbox Live is a better online plan...
  • Tiitiz 1 Mar 2003 10:49:29 1,128 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    If this is true about Sega then I hope M$ get em.

All I have to say without risk of comebacks :D

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.