Mech Movie - oh dear

• JohnBye 1 Mar 2003 11:42:08 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, Mech Warrior is apparently the latest game to be on the way to the big screen. From Dark Horizons - "Dean Devlin will produce a movie based on the best-selling Mech Warrior video games. The Hollywood Reporter says Paramount Pictures is in talks to option the property from Wiz Kids, a Seattle-based game company, for Devlin's Electric Entertainment, which will develop a screenplay that Devlin will produce."

For those of you not paying attention, Dean Devlin is the scriptwriter / producer responsible for Universal Soldier, Stargate, Godzilla and Independence Day. His production company Electric Entertainment were behind Eight Legged Freaks. Oh dear...

In the words of the prophet - "this is gonna suck."
  • JohnBye 1 Mar 2003 11:53:56 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And while we're on the subject of bizarre movie adaptations, not strictly speaking gaming-related, but apparently someone is trying to turn Michael Moorcock's Elric novels into a movie trilogy. Which should be .. er .. interesting...
  • Deleted user 1 March 2003 12:09:06
    JohnBye wrote:
    And while we're on the subject of bizarre movie adaptations, not strictly speaking gaming-related, but apparently someone is trying to turn Michael Moorcock's Elric novels into a movie trilogy. Which should be .. er .. interesting...
    Oh LMFAO! That should be absolutely bizaare...I suggest everyone go buy them from a second hand store, they are a good laugh if you want some crap twaddle. I actually quite like them :D
  • JohnBye 1 Mar 2003 13:17:24 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My local remainders shop used to be laden down with Michael Moorcock books when I was at uni, so I have several large volumes of his stories now, from the Elric and Hawkmoon compilations to more recent stuff like Blood. Very weird. Not quite sure how they'll translate Elric into a movie, especially as the CNN story seemed to be suggestion they were going to make the first film based on the first six stories. That's a big chunk of prose, even compared to something like The Fellowship Of The Ring. And after the mess Hollywood made of Tolkein, I hate to think what they're going to do to Moorcock...
  • Machiavel 3 Mar 2003 09:43:52 5,964 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    "Coming soon from Hollywood - Moorcock" would make a great verbal announcement.

I quite enjoyed the Elric novels as a light antidote to Heinlein's ridiculously long and bizarre novels - "Time Enough for Love" indeed, time enough for three puberties. My cousin used to rave about the 'Dancers at the End of Time' series of which I never really understood the attraction.

I suspect they've bought the license just for the cool soulstealer idea, add doomed love interest and verbose bad guys to taste.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.