Jazz .. nice

• JohnBye 1 Mar 2003 13:22:58 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks to whoever it was that recommended John Coltrane in an earlier thread. I downloaded a seven CD live collection from EMusic.com this morning and it's bloody marvellous. Just grabbing about ten or fifteen more of his albums at the moment. Ah, the joys of broadband...

Any other suggestions? So far I'm hooked on Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, but I'm pretty open minded. ;)
  • Deleted user 1 March 2003 17:05:09
    Oh and while this thread is here; someone suggested some jazz versions of Radiohead songs a while back but I can't remember the name of the musician, anyone?
  • st3ph3n 1 Mar 2003 17:47:49 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    how about the Jazz interpretation of the Mario theme tune, named "mariojazz.mp3". Not quite as good as the japanese orchestra playing it, but still a good rendition.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Mar 2003 19:08:41 40,158 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, guess that was me again, JohnBye. :-)

Keyser, Brad Mehldau did a version of Radiohead's "Exit Music" on "The Art of the Trio Vol. 3.", for example.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2003 20:17:10
    Thanks Lou, checking those songs out now.
  • Khab 2 Mar 2003 21:08:52 6,583 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Fats!
  • Deleted user 2 March 2003 21:29:46
    Could someone suggest some jazz songs for the complete beginner? Just a few numbers I could dowlaod off KaZaa to see what I like.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2003 23:03:14 40,158 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not an easy request, keyser. :-)

I recommended a bunch of albums for jaa recently, don't know if you've seen it. I'll try to dig it up tomorrow (hell,we need a search function already.)

As always, however, I recommend Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

Names of the songs in case you can't dl the whole album

So What
    Freddie Freeloader
    Blue in Green
    All Blues
    Flamenco Sketches

There are dozens of versions of each song, though, and a 1965 version of for example So What of the 2nd Miles quintet will give you no idea how it sounds on kind of Blue, so you should try and go for the album.

Or better: just buy the album, it 'll cost you just a few quid, and I dare say you won't regret it. And each of the musicians on the album is an excellent starting point for further exploration. And if you maybe want to own just a single jazz album in your life, this is the one it should be anyhow, so you just can't go wrong. :-)

Edited by UncleLou at 23:04:15 02-03-2003
  • Deleted user 2 March 2003 23:24:17
    Thanks Lou, all these songs are reminding of the Cork Jazz Festival, I used to live down there.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.