• StrayBezza 8 Mar 2018 08:12:15 1,089 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43326021
  • Blakester 8 Mar 2018 08:12:52 4,441 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím not ripping Spurs for learning. Iím ripping their fans for the narrative they spin after every set-back - how itís somehow good for the team and theyíll come back stronger from it.
  • captbirdseye 8 Mar 2018 08:13:46 8,557 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A bit like 'next year is our year'.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Mar 2018 08:16:04 3,979 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    A bit like 'next year is our year'.
    Yep.

Haven't they got the youngest squad in the league (or close to it) and one of the youngest managers? They will learn from it. They need to sign some winners, some ruthless cunts that would rather die than lose the ball. Speaking from experience, the risk is that losing becomes a habit.
  • captbirdseye 8 Mar 2018 08:20:09 8,557 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Look at the dross Utd and Liverpool have played so far and then look at the teams Spurs have played.
  • Boriska 8 Mar 2018 08:20:24 660 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The idea that you need to wait for your team to be good before you laugh at a rival's misfortune has tickled me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Mar 2018 08:23:19 11,452 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Iím not ripping Spurs for learning. Iím ripping their fans for the narrative they spin after every set-back - how itís somehow good for the team and theyíll come back stronger from it.
    Iíd prefer to take a stoic and philosophical view than cover the same internet in whinging bitter posts about how unfair the result was for months and months.

Also your general lack of self-awareness is hilarious as ever.
  • Boriska 8 Mar 2018 08:26:45 660 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Liverpool and Arsenal fans have done the same sort of thing.

To be fair to Spurs' fans, their club has been getting stronger - maybe not this season but since Poch has arrived it's been steady progression. Hit that hard point now though, the next jump up is pointlessly hard if you don't have an endless chequebook.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 08:32:24 48,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boriska wrote:
    To be fair to Spurs' fans, their club has been getting stronger
    Think its more to do with other teams getting worse, especially Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Not sure Spurs are all that much better now than they were 4 years ago. It's just there isn't as much competition anymore.
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Mar 2018 08:33:43 17,226 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    What have you learnt?
    I donít actually play for Spurs. The Ďweí thing is just a colloquialism.
    Yeah i get that.

I mean, have the team learnt...not to concede goals?
    Has anyone learnt how to do that?
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Mar 2018 08:37:34 17,226 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Isnít that pretty much the base lesson to life?
    What would you have them do about it all, exactly?

I love a good spurlol and intentionally came in here hoping someone had put some decent lulz on Kalel, but this is weak sauce, dude.
  • SnackPlissken 8 Mar 2018 08:39:24 159 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Tottenham are basically the new Arsenal.

Knocked out the last 16
    Top four trophy
    New stadium
    Nike
    Prolific striker
    Cheating bastards

Might as well just merge both clubs, and they'll win a major trophy.
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Mar 2018 08:41:54 17,226 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Boriska wrote:
    Think its more to do with other teams getting worse, especially Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Not sure Spurs are all that much better now than they were 4 years ago. It's just there isn't as much competition anymore.
    Gotta disagree on that. Spend along is a big indicator to that.
    Current United would batter 4 years ago United
    Current Chelsea have regressed, but just the one of last year would probably beat the one of 4 years ago.
    Arsenal squad is arguably better than the one or 4 years ago, but weíre just disfunctional and havenít kept pace with the rate of development of the rest of the top 4.

Letís not let City obscure our perception of things, this is a highly competitive league and season. The very fact that the English teams HAVE improved in the CL compared to 4 years ago, when there was talk of us possibly losing our 4th place space status says it all.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Mar 2018 08:53:41 5,483 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spurs messed up last night - they were in a great position and they blew it. Not sure what they would learn from that that they shouldn't already know, seeing that it has happened repeatedly to them over the years.

Not meant as a jibe, I just don't really see any positives from that result.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 08:54:20 08-03-2018
  • Boriska 8 Mar 2018 09:01:54 660 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Boriska wrote:

Probably a mixture - United have improved, Chelsea have fluctuated as have Liverpool, but even they look like they might be properly improving, City obviously have and yeah, we've gone backwards quite a bit.
  • SolidSCB 8 Mar 2018 09:12:30 10,238 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be quite proud as a Spurs fan to be honest. They comfortably got out of a group not many gave them much of a chance in, beat the likes of Real and Dortmund on merit and gave a team that has reached 2 finals in 3 years in this comp a hell of a tie.

Sure, it's disappointing to miss out on the quarters when they were so close but they've got nothing to be ashamed of. They've performed better in Europe while playing against much more formidable opposition than any of the other English clubs up to now IMO.

They just need to make sure they get there again next year now. To suggest they haven't learned anything is ridiculous, they now know they've got bugger all to fear against Europe's elite when the time comes again.
  • Rhaegyr 8 Mar 2018 09:15:17 4,439 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get what some people are saying - though I hardly post in this thread I read it fairly regularly and every other Prem team who loses (both in this thread and the Premier League thread) get a lot of abuse, one-liners, jokes and criticism when they lose.

You can't deny Spurs seem to be slightly exempt from this pattern, whether that's justified based on their performances or not.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2018 09:16:05 8,440 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:

Might as well just merge both clubs, and they'll win a major trophy.
    No they would have a bench full of Arsenal players.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 09:21:31 48,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyway as an aside I know they are far from safe but damn I love a good flare at a European football match. They look amazing.
  • Dgzter 8 Mar 2018 09:22:04 2,176 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Christ, some of you are so mean-spirited!

And it isn't what this young team can learn from 'defeat', per se, but rather from the manner of this defeat: in this instance, what experience they garner and lessons they learn in terms of game management and seeing the tie out. These are things that are notoriously tied to experience, so to suggest that there is nothing to learn for so many of these young players, who are patently inexperienced at this level, strikes me as utterly bizarre.

They are not the first team, nor will they be the last, to be schooled in this particular art by an experienced and clinical Italian team.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Mar 2018 09:22:20 5,483 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, sure I'd be proud, they've done extremely well to get to that point and will be bitterly disappointed that they fluffed it last night. You're exactly right that they need to do the same again next year, and obviously, their objective is to continue to qualify and progress in the CL until the end of time.

Not saying they have anything to be ashamed of, just skeptical that there are more positives than negatives coming out of the result. The intangible benefit of 'experience' works both ways - they blew the tie, they lost - that could just as easily instill some weakness into their mindset - but no one knows.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:25:30 08-03-2018
  • HarryPalmer 8 Mar 2018 09:29:30 5,483 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arsenal have played more CL games than perhaps Spurs ever will. Obviously, the players benefit from this, but what good has it actually done in terms of trophies/success?
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Mar 2018 09:32:12 22,559 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I'd be quite proud as a Spurs fan to be honest. They comfortably got out of a group not many gave them much of a chance in, beat the likes of Real and Dortmund on merit and gave a team that has reached 2 finals in 3 years in this comp a hell of a tie.

Sure, it's disappointing to miss out on the quarters when they were so close but they've got nothing to be ashamed of. They've performed better in Europe while playing against much more formidable opposition than any of the other English clubs up to now IMO.

They just need to make sure they get there again next year now. To suggest they haven't learned anything is ridiculous, they now know they've got bugger all to fear against Europe's elite when the time comes again.
    this.
  • SolidSCB 8 Mar 2018 09:44:19 10,238 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Arsenal have played more CL games than perhaps Spurs ever will. Obviously, the players benefit from this, but what good has it actually done in terms of trophies/success?
    So Arsenal didn't spend their early years in the CL wallowing around at Wembley and struggling to get out of the groups before beating the likes of Real/thumping Inter at the San Siro and being regulars in the Quarters/Semis and just missing out on the title itself to a Barca with Ronaldinho in his pomp?

It wasn't all 1-10 losses to Bayern Munich.

Edited by SolidSCB at 09:44:42 08-03-2018
  • Dgzter 8 Mar 2018 09:45:42 2,176 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Well I guess that depends if your only barometer of 'success' is tangible silverware. I suspect for you, as an Arsenal fan, then perhaps it is, so fair enough.

But what about all your Premiership titles and assorted domestic trophies? Sure, you didn't win the CL, but you came bloody close: maybe my memory is hazy but I recall it being one shrewd Barca substitution (bringing on Henrik Larsson) that changed that game, otherwise Arsenal would have been European Champions.

Had you won that game would you still think that all the accumulated experience of playing at that level and simply being in the mix to vie for those trophies was meaningless?
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 09:51:13 48,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Please dont talk about that game :-(
  • HarryPalmer 8 Mar 2018 09:52:28 5,483 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Of course, Arsenal came close to winning the CL - at their absolute peak! They were already a beast of a team at that point, and it was basically downhill from there - they won nothing from that point until the recent FA cup runs. So how did that experience tangibly benefit them as a team? I'd argue it had the reverse effect.

I'm really not suggesting that experience at this level isn't really important. All I'm saying is framing the defeat as someone positive, brave, admirable, is a little off to me. Spurs can build on this, but it's not a given.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:53:31 08-03-2018
  • SolidSCB 8 Mar 2018 10:00:29 10,238 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It only had a reverse effect because that was the culmination of that particular team's progress. As far as I remember that was Henry and Ashley Cole's last game for them(?) and a lot of the rest were on borrowed time. It wasn't the same team after that, literally.

You wouldn't say this Spurs team have reached that peak yet. If they stay together as that Arsenal team did, they've got every chance of building on what they've done this year.
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 10:04:37 6,532 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I get what some people are saying - though I hardly post in this thread I read it fairly regularly and every other Prem team who loses (both in this thread and the Premier League thread) get a lot of abuse, one-liners, jokes and criticism when they lose.

You can't deny Spurs seem to be slightly exempt from this pattern, whether that's justified based on their performances or not.
    We're not really exempt from criticism. Apparently for the last two seasons we've been bottlers and all the seasons before that we've had to endure St Tottingham day. And a good old Spurs lol is a regular thing. So we no different from any other side really.

I think at the moment it helps that we don't have a manager who fucking whinges at everything if a result doesn't go the team way (ala Mourhino, Klopp, Pep, and to a lesser extent wenger, although he does like to suck a lemon now and again). We don't act like spoilt brats and I think other fans recognise that. We're a club that don't pay stupid wages, we're not bank rolled (although we are financially savvy) we're well run, doing things properly. I think many fans would like that at their club, so i think maybe, we are cut some slack at times.

But questions will start to appear more often now about silverware i think. The pressure will be there.

Pochettino and Levy as installed in the club a sense of pride, self awareness, and hard work ethic and professionalism. In fact Poch is the best thing that has happened to the club in years, the calibre of the man is second to none and a perfect role model for the younger generation. The guys is legend.

It was kind of refreshing to see Cech come out after the Brighton game and accept responsibly for his performance, luckily we have a club full of that mentality - Son's interview yesterday you could tell he was hurting

https://twitter.com/MarcBenamram/status/971517544568905735

Anyway...enough rambling haha.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.