Champions League Page 868

  • HarryPalmer 8 Mar 2018 22:45:21 5,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    It's blindingly obvious that Spurs have got better.
    Of course they have, they're a really good team now. My only comment was that I don't necessarily buy into the idea that losing to Juventus, after dominating the tie, and leading at home in the 2nd leg, is a tremendous learning opportunity that will inevitably improve them in the future.
  • THFourteen 9 Mar 2018 05:46:56 49,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spurs are shite. End of.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 06:47:12 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    It's blindingly obvious that Spurs have got better.
    Of course they have, they're a really good team now. My only comment was that I don't necessarily buy into the idea that losing to Juventus, after dominating the tie, and leading at home in the 2nd leg, is a tremendous learning opportunity that will inevitably improve them in the future.
    And nobody has said it is a tremendous opportunity. Nobody.
  • robc84 9 Mar 2018 06:53:12 12,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a massive disappointment, and one we need to learn from and do better next time.

    As kal said, juventus' experience with obvious. That's where we need to get to. Poch in particular needs to look at his tactics, substitutions etc.

    Anyway, I'm sure everyone is bored of us going round in circles on this.

    Edited by robc84 at 06:54:22 09-03-2018
  • HarryPalmer 9 Mar 2018 09:41:58 5,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43326021

    I was being facetious, but there’s plenty of people saying it, and perhaps with good reason. I just disagreed, not that it matters.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 12:54:24 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43326021

    I was being facetious, but there’s plenty of people saying it, and perhaps with good reason. I just disagreed, not that it matters.
    I mean the whole sentiment of that article (if you actually read it) is - it's a painful loss but Spurs are still headed in the right direction. Which is the exact sentiment the Spurs fans on here have echoed.

    For such a reasonable and pragmatic response I'm really surprised it's been met with such strong disagreement.
  • senso-ji 9 Mar 2018 13:19:08 8,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Spurs are shite. End of.
    Same as Arsenal.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 13:34:52 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Spurs are shite. End of.
    Same as Arsenal.
    Not really. If Spurs are shite I've no idea what Arsenal are.

    Edited by You-can-call-me-kal at 13:34:58 09-03-2018
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2018 13:40:55 86,221 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really shite?
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2018 13:41:44 9,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The playground level is strong in here ;)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 13:42:41 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your mum is strong in my bed.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2018 13:44:41 9,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The necrophilia is stronger in this thread ;)
  • SolidSCB 9 Mar 2018 14:08:38 10,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look on the bright side, nothing can be as dead as Arsenal's top 4 hopes.
  • askew 9 Mar 2018 15:53:47 17,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well la-di-dah.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 16:06:41 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do have this nagging fear of Arsenal winning the EL, Chelsea coming 5th and winning the CL, and us coming 4th and missing out. It's pretty unlikely as a set of circumstances, but that's what we all sad last time we missed out because of this sort of thing.
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2018 16:09:14 86,221 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd have said the odds on that are exceptionally long.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2018 16:09:14 9,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Chelsea bit is the most unlikely of that scenario I think, they are just so inconsistent. Well that and they have barca next week.
  • SolidSCB 9 Mar 2018 16:11:59 10,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think we can all agree if that happens that it's all because Spurs are massive bottlejobs.
  • robc84 9 Mar 2018 16:11:59 12,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still fancy us to finish 2nd or 3rd, but yeah, I would be extremely pissed if that happened (again!).
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 16:17:52 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Think we can all agree if that happens that it's all because Spurs are massive bottlejobs.
    Equally if we come second, failure to close the gap on City will also confirm us as massive bottlejobs.
  • FromTheHalfWayLine 9 Mar 2018 16:19:45 289 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Spurs are shite. End of.
    lol, the difference one win can do for you.
  • Boriska 9 Mar 2018 16:48:55 741 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Think we can all agree if that happens that it's all because Spurs are massive bottlejobs.
    Equally if we come second, failure to close the gap on City will also confirm us as massive bottlejobs.
    That doesn't follow at all. You're bottlejobs because you were good enough to win the tie but crumbled at the last moment - imploded if you will. Unlike Arsenal, who applied themselves in a professional manner and played with real style in Europe's elite competition. You haven't been good enough to win the league so cannot possibly bottle it from this position.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 16:55:19 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boriska wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Think we can all agree if that happens that it's all because Spurs are massive bottlejobs.
    Equally if we come second, failure to close the gap on City will also confirm us as massive bottlejobs.
    That doesn't follow at all. You're bottlejobs because you were good enough to win the tie but crumbled at the last moment - imploded if you will. Unlike Arsenal, who applied themselves in a professional manner and played with real style in Europe's elite competition. You haven't been good enough to win the league so cannot possibly bottle it from this position.
    I was referring to our failure to make up insurmountable gaps on Leicester and Chelsea in the previous two seasons (and the fact that even if we had won every game left those teams would have both won the league anyway) being positioned as us bottling the league.

    Struggling to remember the last time Arsenal didn't embarrass themselves in the CL though. Seriously, we've made the quarter finals more recently than you and that was 8 years ago.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2018 17:28:17 9,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If the season ends now with you in 4th a shock loss to Swansea in the 1/4 final of the FA cup. Would you regard the season as being progress or regression? Not trying to dig any sort of response, I'm just curious. If you would say thats a regression what do you want from the season to say its progress?

    With us, top 4 and the FA cup final would be a good season, top 4 would be acceptable and anything less is poor for me.
  • Boriska 9 Mar 2018 17:52:34 741 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

    Struggling to remember the last time Arsenal didn't embarrass themselves in the CL though. Seriously, we've made the quarter finals more recently than you and that was 8 years ago.
    Most of that is down to a fairly large scale refereeing conspiracy against us. Wenger's insistence that we play beautiful football without cheating has hindered us in Europe but the moral victories have all been ours.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 18:33:33 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    If the season ends now with you in 4th a shock loss to Swansea in the 1/4 final of the FA cup. Would you regard the season as being progress or regression? Not trying to dig any sort of response, I'm just curious. If you would say thats a regression what do you want from the season to say its progress?

    With us, top 4 and the FA cup final would be a good season, top 4 would be acceptable and anything less is poor for me.
    Similar league performance and much better performance in the cups equals progress in my mind, especially considering the whole Wembley thing. A season of treading water at worst.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Mar 2018 18:37:16 12,049 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boriska wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

    Struggling to remember the last time Arsenal didn't embarrass themselves in the CL though. Seriously, we've made the quarter finals more recently than you and that was 8 years ago.
    Most of that is down to a fairly large scale refereeing conspiracy against us. Wenger's insistence that we play beautiful football without cheating has hindered us in Europe but the moral victories have all been ours.
    Hehe 👍
  • reddevil93 9 Mar 2018 18:59:23 14,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    If the season ends now with you in 4th a shock loss to Swansea in the 1/4 final of the FA cup. Would you regard the season as being progress or regression? Not trying to dig any sort of response, I'm just curious. If you would say thats a regression what do you want from the season to say its progress?

    With us, top 4 and the FA cup final would be a good season, top 4 would be acceptable and anything less is poor for me.
    I’d agree with this but any top 4 finish behind Liverpool would harm the perception. Huge week coming up.
  • DakeyrasUK 9 Mar 2018 20:24:54 1,858 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @reddevil93 Would finishing behind liverpool really reflect badly on united?

    This season especially since VVD joined we have looked a great team.

    The only first team players united have that I'd pick for our firat team are De Gea, Valencia and maybe Matic.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Mar 2018 20:35:59 9,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would take Salah and VVD from yours.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.