Champions League Page 873

  • reddevil93 13 Mar 2018 23:09:44 14,471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, fair enough. I’d still agree that losing tonight didn’t hurt near as much as a loss to Liverpool would’ve at the weekend. From a purely emotional point of view rather than in the context of if the season is a success or not.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2018 23:14:11 17,226 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Blakester yes I would have rather beat Liverpool and pretty much secured cl football than play another 2 games in a competition that we can't win. What difference does 1 more round make?
    I'm still confused by this.

    You'd rather secure a place for a competition you were near-enough secured, rather than compete in the competition you want to secure...knowing you can't win it, but want to be in it....to not compete for it....to secure it?

    Someone help me out here. What am I missing?
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Mar 2018 23:15:49 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Im much happier that Liverpool are in the quarters. We still have top 4 in our hands. Chelsea still have spurs to play and man u still have city. We have Chelsea but hopefully be all wrapped up by the time that game comes along.

    That said, I do see that league wise the only cup going for united and liverpool fans is the who ginished higher and for that Saturdays game was important. Though a liverpool win would have been less fatal for your chances than uniteds win looks likely to be to liverpool.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2018 23:16:38 22,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Blakester yes I would have rather beat Liverpool and pretty much secured cl football than play another 2 games in a competition that we can't win. What difference does 1 more round make?
    I'm still confused by this.

    You'd rather secure a place for a competition you were near-enough secured, rather than compete in the competition you want to secure...knowing you can't win it, but want to be in it....to not compete for it....to secure it?

    Someone help me out here. What am I missing?
    Nothing, Man U fans are clearly loopy.
    Watching that dross every week and listening to Jose being a cock afterwards would send anyone round the twist tbf.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Mar 2018 23:17:44 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder he "knows" his team are incapable of winning cl but still wants them to be a part of it incase of a miracle... but not this season that would be silly to dream of.
  • FWB 13 Mar 2018 23:19:36 54,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lukaku going to win as much at Utd as he could with us, but with the added bonus of being treated like shit.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2018 23:21:22 17,226 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Blakester yes I would have rather beat Liverpool and pretty much secured cl football than play another 2 games in a competition that we can't win. What difference does 1 more round make?
    I'm still confused by this.

    You'd rather secure a place for a competition you were near-enough secured, rather than compete in the competition you want to secure...knowing you can't win it, but want to be in it....to not compete for it....to secure it?

    Someone help me out here. What am I missing?
    Nothing, Man U fans are clearly loopy.
    Watching that dross every week and listening to Jose being a cock afterwards would send anyone round the twist tbf.
    Funny hearing United fans here talk of they have no divine right and "less than 1% chance of winning it" and "SAF only won it twice in 25 years" after years as an Arsenal fan getting trolled by United fans for our lack of competing and winning/
  • reddevil93 13 Mar 2018 23:22:15 14,471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Lukaku going to win as much at Utd as he could with us, but with the added bonus of being treated like shit.
    He was the only player to get a good reception at the end of the game tonight, worked his absolute bollocks off.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2018 23:23:05 17,226 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK Maybe another quarter of a billion to take their spending in the last few years well over a billion and having one of the most expensive squad in the competition by the club with the greatest commercial revenues in football might increase their chances up by an extra percentage to 2%.

    Plucky so and so's.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2018 23:25:08 22,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @DakeyrasUK Maybe another quarter of a billion to take their spending in the last few years well over a billion and having one of the most expensive squad in the competition by the club with the greatest commercial revenues in football might increase their chances up by an extra percentage to 2%.

    Plucky so and so's.
    You can be too ambitious you know.
    Plus it's better to go out now and concentrate on entering the competition next year, better than getting further this year. or something.
  • reddevil93 13 Mar 2018 23:25:43 14,471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Bayern have the most commercial income, could be wrong though.

    Yeah appears so, €343m to United’s €325m

    https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-sbg-dfml2018.pdf

    Edited by reddevil93 at 23:37:06 13-03-2018
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2018 23:25:54 17,226 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Blakester yes I would have rather beat Liverpool and pretty much secured cl football than play another 2 games in a competition that we can't win. What difference does 1 more round make?
    I'm still confused by this.

    You'd rather secure a place for a competition you were near-enough secured, rather than compete in the competition you want to secure...knowing you can't win it, but want to be in it....to not compete for it....to secure it?

    Someone help me out here. What am I missing?
    This is still bugging me. I need to hear the justification.

    Why do you care to be in a competition you believe you have little to no chance of winning (which in itself is bollocks, but let's play along)?

    Only possible answer is "well for the CL monies and prestige" in which case going further into the rounds gives you both, so why not want that?
  • FWB 13 Mar 2018 23:26:39 54,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Lukaku going to win as much at Utd as he could with us, but with the added bonus of being treated like shit.
    He was the only player to get a good reception at the end of the game tonight, worked his absolute bollocks off.
    Today.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Mar 2018 23:27:15 17,226 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Ofcourse.
    Better to focus on getting into the competition than competing when in the competition.

    Or Something.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2018 23:27:17 22,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    I think Bayern have the most commercial income, could be wrong though.
    https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-deloitte-money-league-2018/
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2018 23:28:01 22,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Ofcourse.
    Better to focus on getting into the competition than competing when in the competition.

    Or Something.
    Makes perfect sense.
  • reddevil93 13 Mar 2018 23:30:00 14,471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Lukaku going to win as much at Utd as he could with us, but with the added bonus of being treated like shit.
    He was the only player to get a good reception at the end of the game tonight, worked his absolute bollocks off.
    Today.
    As in only today he got a good reception? I think he’s been pretty popular all season but has gone missing (along with Mourinho’s tactics) in numerous big games.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 13 Mar 2018 23:31:46 11,328 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sevilla have conceded 42 goals in 28 league games. Hilarious that Mourinho was still too scared to attack them.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Mar 2018 23:32:02 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder it doesnt make sense unless you are looking to kid yourself to stop it hurting.

    As I said on previous page, more commonly called sour grapes.
  • mikew1985 14 Mar 2018 00:12:03 14,514 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone who isn't absolutely bitterly disappointed by that loss and largely the manner of it is kidding themselves. It was a real low, up there with some of the lowest lows of the last few seasons but amplified by the fact that there is now a huge amount of talented players in this squad.

    The excuse of "with one or two players..." holds no water anymore. The team has a massive array of attacking talent. If you don't deploy them in a manner that allows them to attack is not really surprising when you don't win.

    I would take the view that tonight takes the joy out of having won on Saturday. It's not really relevant anymore, we just got knocked out of the tournament we so desperately want to get back into by an awful team because we were set up to try to not concede.

    Edited by mikew1985 at 00:13:09 14-03-2018
  • THFourteen 14 Mar 2018 04:56:25 48,573 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Oh, fair enough. I’d still agree that losing tonight didn’t hurt near as much as a loss to Liverpool would’ve at the weekend. From a purely emotional point of view rather than in the context of if the season is a success or not.
    I get that, you never had any hope of winning so losing in an earlier round actually makes no difference. Same as getting knocked out in the last 16 all the time like we used to.
  • Dougs 14 Mar 2018 06:58:39 85,761 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I get it on an emotional level too. It does seem a bit perverse but that's being a football fan.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 07:05:44 11,505 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why would United have no hope of winning it? Jose has won it with far worse teams with far less investment.

    Speaking of which:

    Mou: "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club." #MUFC
  • Frogofdoom 14 Mar 2018 07:13:11 8,590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We have no hope of winning it as we are incapable of chaining consistently decent performances together. If it were single games then maybe I would have been optimistic but we aren't good enough to take out a team like Real or Barca over 2 legs at the moment.
  • DakeyrasUK 14 Mar 2018 07:18:24 1,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Frogofdoom and you might have only met them in the final...
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 08:01:04 2,347 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder maybe different fans? I said 2 of those quotes but I don't think I've ever trolled Arsenal fans

    Winning the CL is hard as I've said before, every season there are number of very strong and experienced sides to get past. Both United teams that won it were excellent sides with few weak links. This United side is poor with many weak links, especially across the back 4 - we've actually become a bit similar to Arsenal, good attacking talent but soft and can't defend
  • Trowel 14 Mar 2018 08:04:31 22,031 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never understand why fans come out with "I prefer that we won game A than game B", as though the result of each game is dependent on another.

    Have expectations fallen so far at Old Trafford that it's no longer 'the United way' to want to win every game?
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 08:07:30 2,347 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We should have just gone all out to win them both. Sevilla are a decent side but we should be beating them at home

    Maybe a case of players thinking they'd actually achieved something by beating Liverpool - which was just another 3 points in reality
  • SolidSCB 14 Mar 2018 08:24:45 10,241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as we're in it, we've got a chance. Look at when Chelsea won it, they were having a dire season under AvB and basically had John Terry as a manager, undermining Di Matteo from the sidelines to embarrassing lengths for most of the late stages of the competition. A cup run isn't out of any of those teams capabilities, but now we don't have a chance of that because we blew it.

    I'm gutted. It's been good to be back in the CL and we had a very good chance of a quarter final spot, which we've fucked.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.