Champions League Page 874

• Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2018 08:38:57 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    As long as we're in it, we've got a chance. Look at when Chelsea won it, they were having a dire season under AvB and basically had John Terry as a manager, undermining Di Matteo from the sidelines to embarrassing lengths for most of the late stages of the competition. A cup run isn't out of any of those teams capabilities, but now we don't have a chance of that because we blew it.

I'm gutted. It's been good to be back in the CL and we had a very good chance of a quarter final spot, which we've fucked.
    A good, reasonable post that isn't mental.
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 08:48:47 2,347 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Chelsea win was against all odds admittedly but they still had a spine of world class players and only really had to get past Barcelona on the way there. Any team with Cech, Cole, Lampard, Drogba etc would have a chance of doing something if they tossed off the rest of the season. Their only real weak link was Cahill and he's serviceable enough (especially compared to Smalling, Jones, Lindelof et al)

You look at United's world class talent and you go - De Gea, Pogba (every 1 game out of 10) - that's it
  • IMO 14 Mar 2018 08:59:53 6,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was the home leg of a knockout tie against a team you should be beating. You arguably had the advantage after the first leg. To suggest that it wasn't all that bad to lose like you did is oddly small-time.

EDIT: "you" generally

Edited by IMO at 09:00:42 14-03-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 09:11:45 11,505 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    That Chelsea win was against all odds admittedly but they still had a spine of world class players and only really had to get past Barcelona on the way there. Any team with Cech, Cole, Lampard, Drogba etc would have a chance of doing something if they tossed off the rest of the season. Their only real weak link was Cahill and he's serviceable enough (especially compared to Smalling, Jones, Lindelof et al)

You look at United's world class talent and you go - De Gea, Pogba (every 1 game out of 10) - that's it
    I mean, if the excuse is that you don't have the team, who do you blame for that? You certainly should have the team to beat Sevilla at home with the money you've spent.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Mar 2018 09:12:19 5,488 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

Not as good as that Chelsea team, but De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez, Valencia, Matic, Lukaku is a pretty good collection - but it's not about the players really, it's about the manager and the way the club have chosen to spend the money.

Jose simply got it wrong - they should have attacked, then they would have won, but he can't bring himself to do it.
  • Dougs 14 Mar 2018 09:12:39 85,761 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And the talent on the pitch. Manager lost his nerve though.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Mar 2018 09:18:31 5,488 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On a side note, I must say it's depressing that the only time I get to comment in this thread is when another English side lose. :(
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 09:20:00 2,347 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal It's not an excuse, it's a fact. We've wasted most of the money we've spent on players that although decent enough they aren't what you would bracket as top players. Lampard is a good example, for all his technical deficiencies he never went missing in a Chelsea shirt, Pogba often goes missing in a United shirt despite having more talent

You are right we certainly had a team good enough to beat Sevilla though, put a less cautious manager in charge and we would have gone through. We wouldn't beat Barcelona, Juventus, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or city over 2 legs however. Despite results this season I doubt we'd beat Liverpool either - we're too soft and would capitulate at Anfield
  • Frogofdoom 14 Mar 2018 09:23:41 8,578 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wouldn't go that far we played them over 2 games already and didn't lose. We wouldn't be doing that to Barca, Real or Bayern though, and seemingly not Seville either!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 09:25:21 11,505 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal It's not an excuse, it's a fact. We've wasted most of the money we've spent on players that although decent enough they aren't what you would bracket as top players. Lampard is a good example, for all his technical deficiencies he never went missing in a Chelsea shirt, Pogba often goes missing in a United shirt despite having more talent

You are right we certainly had a team good enough to beat Sevilla though, put a less cautious manager in charge and we would have gone through. We wouldn't beat Barcelona, Juventus, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or city over 2 legs however. Despite results this season I doubt we'd beat Liverpool either - we're too soft and would capitulate at Anfield
    So again, who takes the blame?

Just to lead this a little bit more, when does the finger get pointed at Mourinho?
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 09:28:48 2,347 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Frogofdoom True but lets not forget that we took 6 points off them in 15/16 and still rolled over like a cowardly dog in the Europa League and Anfield
  • retro74 14 Mar 2018 09:34:56 2,347 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal last night is on him. The regression since Ferguson left is on the club. I'll admit that even in Ferguson's last few seasons I was very critical of the club and felt that when he left we would fail to challenge for the big trophies for a spell. We were winging it to a certain extent

There was no plan in place to manage the transition (easier said that done admittedly). Now we are like that losing gambler that is throwing money at the problem hoping to get lucky that one time and everything will change
  • GarlVinland 14 Mar 2018 09:36:18 3,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd put Pogba going missing down to Mourinho. Same as the rest of your attacking talent. Allegri had no trouble getting the best out of him back at Juve, he was a goal and assist machine.

Mou voluntarily puts his teams on the back foot, and in a competition that even a team as defensively sound as Juve can't win, I don't see you winning the CL unless he changes that mentality.
  • oceanmotion 14 Mar 2018 11:57:30 17,320 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think Mourinho has them rigid out of fear. The players aren't allowed any breathing room. The result be damned, you didn't step out of the system so job done and Mourinho doesn't see a problem beyond the system didn't work this time. Is Sanchez complete shit or what, other teams dodged a bullet, good luck moving him on. Are they really going to let Mourinho splurge another 200 million to watch that old shite for another year.
  • Blakester 14 Mar 2018 13:18:01 4,442 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    From Marca:

"Mourinho is starting to look like a washed-up rock star, one of those guys that goes around holiday hotels for pensioners playing old hits on an organ with the base and the percussion playing on a tape recorder."

Beautiful writing to bring a tear to your eye.
  • DMJ 14 Mar 2018 13:44:20 821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Josť's response to every setback is "I need better players." Is it a great Man Utd squad? Nah. Is it good enough to get past Sevilla at home? Yes. But, yet again, it's his negative tactics causing problems.

His response to going behind was to make substitutions to help get a goal. But at 0-0 from the first leg and needing to win, why aren't you starting the game with that mindset? What was the point in playing the dynamic duo of Fellaini and Matic in midfield other than to bore everyone to death?

Edited by DMJ at 13:45:49 14-03-2018
  • SolidSCB 14 Mar 2018 13:56:04 10,241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He got it wrong last night, no question about that.

Thing is, with peak Mourinho teams, they absolutely would not leak. Whether you think setting up to win a tie at any cost is right or not, you've got to have the players that make that system work and in the past he's had exactly what he needs to do that job. It has been startlingly obvious for quite a while that our central defence is comprised of comic acts. Smalling has a high ceiling but a ridiculously low floor in terms of performances, Jones is a walking sicknote, Bailly is getting that way and has a clanger in him, I'm not even sure Rojo exists anymore after that 3 game spell he was immense at centre back last season before getting crocked. More and more the rest of the team has been pushed back to accomodate for the simple mistakes we make in that area time and again. He's got progressively more cautious over the season because of the clangers our centre backs have chucked for other teams to jump on.

That's not excusing Mourinho, becuase he's got more than enough to make up for our weaknesses and should have set us up accordingly. We had more than enough to beat that team last night, wobbly defence or not. But he overthought it and completely fucked it as a result.
  • Blackmarsh63 14 Mar 2018 14:07:36 1,383 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    United did pretty well for a team that finished 6th last season. Let's be honest a team that finished 20 odd points behind the eventual champions should be nowhere near the UCL anyway.
  • Baihu1983 14 Mar 2018 14:10:38 10,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spurs bottled it last week according to a lot of Utd fans..

Don't see Chelsea doing the job tonight. All those missed chances in the first leg will come back to bite them.
  • SolidSCB 14 Mar 2018 14:18:12 10,241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spurs didn't bottle it and have nothing to be ashamed of. We, unfortunately, did.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2018 16:16:09 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    United did pretty well for a team that finished 6th last season. Let's be honest a team that finished 20 odd points behind the eventual champions should be nowhere near the UCL anyway.
    Itís no longer the champions league, itís the richest clubs club.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2018 19:02:24
    fuck off ecosse
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2018 19:24:13 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    null wrote:
    fuck off ecosse
    Come on Barca!!!!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 19:49:46 11,505 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keeper...
  • Dgzter 14 Mar 2018 19:50:37 2,215 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol shocking goalkeeping.
  • askew 14 Mar 2018 19:50:40 16,790 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oops
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 20:08:32 11,505 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Great finish but Courtois should again be saving that.
  • Baihu1983 14 Mar 2018 20:09:21 10,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well this ones over.
  • robc84 14 Mar 2018 20:09:22 12,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great goal. Bit harsh on Chelsea as they've played pretty well.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2018 20:30:17 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see Suarez is still a dick..

Shame Conte is with a cnt club like Chelsea, seems a good guy.

Piss poor goalkeeping for first goal but lovely backheel

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.