Champions League Page 938

• beastmaster 17 Dec 2018 20:19:57 19,075 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jan transfer market will save us! Jose will get his quality players like...Fred!
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Feb 2019 16:37:15 2,359 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So united fans? How you feeling ahead of tonight's game?

Two months ago when the draw was made it looked hopeless. But I actually think you have a reasonable chance now. No cry baby and no Cavani and no Moanrinho all add up to a heft of opportunity!
  • SolidSCB 12 Feb 2019 16:45:50 10,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm excited for a big match in the first time in forever, rather than dreading another dismal performance.

We may very well lose, it is a difficult tie on paper after all, but least there's room for optimism these days.

I do however still hold the belief that PSG are shithouses in Europe and they are at least 5 years away from being anywhere near winning the competition, if they ever do at all. I'd rather get them than a handful of other teams still in the competition and find it a much more winnable tie than some others we could have got.

Edited by SolidSCB at 16:49:15 12-02-2019
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 16:46:15 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think they will knock us out but I'm not overly fussed. Far more interested in trying to stay top 4 for now.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:46:27 12-02-2019
  • reddevil93 12 Feb 2019 17:10:12 14,825 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím absolutely buzzing. That said, i was before the Sevilla last 16 game last year and that did not work out well. Ticket sorted for £75 which isnít the worst.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2019 17:12:36
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Think they will knock us out but I'm not overly fussed. Far more interested in trying to stay top 4 for now.
    It's a cup competition. You've as much a chance as anyone now really.

Finance aside, I don't understand the logic of wanting to qualify for it next year but not getting behind trying to win it this year.

May as well finish 5th and save the disappointment next year.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 17:23:38 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because despite our recent results our defence is shit. I'm hoping in the summer that is improved upon along with another midfielder. It's not a case of not getting behind the team, it's a case of realistic expectations.
  • reddevil93 12 Feb 2019 17:26:08 14,825 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did anyone else not know about VAR being in use for the rest of the CL season? Henry Winter just tweeted about it
  • Deleted user 12 February 2019 17:27:27
    @Frogofdoom Your defence has been OK since Mozza fucked off. And the same players were part of one of the best defences in the league last year.

I don't think they're that bad. I watched the Burnley game and Jones was a bit all over the place but he hasn't played that much.

Anyway, hope you get knocked out so all your dreams come true!

Jokes.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 17:33:01 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Our defence hasn't been ok, it's shaky as fuck and wobbles any time it's put under pressure. The reason it did so well last year was in one part down to De Gea pulling off a catalogue of saves he should have never made and the other part being a constant bus being parked in front of goal.
  • SolidSCB 12 Feb 2019 17:44:48 10,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Our defence is a joke still. We are probably going to take a battering before the end of the season with a lot of 'where did that come from?' about it, but there are some absolute choke artists masquerading as professional defenders at our club at the minute. Of the lot, I'd probably only be disappointed to see Lindelof go, which are words I never thought I would utter in October/November

However, PSG are missing a fair few of their danger men, so I think said battering will end up at the hands of Man City in the league or something.
  • SolidSCB 12 Feb 2019 17:48:30 10,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you watched the Arsenal match the other week, then that's where we're at defensively. We produced some utterly devastating counter attacking football and Ole's tactics were spot on, but we were fortunate that Arsenal weren't very clinical because they were basically allowed to walk it up to the edge of the 6 yard box or almost carve us up with a single pass time and time again.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2019 17:51:50 14,287 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think De Gea will generally stop you from getting a battering, but certainly our game against you showed getting through your defence wasn't much of a problem.
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Feb 2019 18:00:03 2,359 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I second the strange notion of chasing 4th but not fussed about the result being counter intuitive.

Always be disappointed with being knocked out unless chances are miniscule. Which in honesty shouldnt be part of Liverpool or United fans experience.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game to be honest. United playing and doing well is obs not something I am relish, but always hope the English teams progress (partly as I would love Liverpool to do to united what they did to city last season).

But if united's defense prove brittle and they get pumped will hardly bother me.

So tonight's game is a win win from my position!

Oh and the best thing is no Neymar, cannot abide that little toad!
  • Deleted user 12 February 2019 18:01:01
    Defensive issue is massively overstated.

You've been playing mozzaball for over 2 years. You're going to make mistakes when you're defending for 80% of any given match.

Even the great Dave isn't that good to completely cover for the whole back 4.

If Lindelof can turn it around then the rest of them can.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 18:01:30 12-02-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2019 18:10:35 14,287 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While the whole 'care more about finishing top 4 than doing well in the CL' thing sounds strange, it does make total sense.

Yes yes yes football is ruined by money blah blah, but it is a fact that simply being in the CL is the most important thing. Winning it is of course nice and massively valuable, but given United's current situation it's just pragmatic to prioritise the league.
  • SolidSCB 12 Feb 2019 18:55:48 10,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To consistently enjoy these games, we've got to focus on league position first. It's nice having these games to enjoy, but when you're only qualifying every other season or every 3 seasons it doesn't really matter because the next time you qualify it's new players, new manager, new tactics. There's no continuity.

As far as our defence is concerned, the problem with Jones and Smalling in particular is that they've proven under 4 managers that they are walking calamities. They are both capable of pocketing any striker in the league in any given game, but they are also capable of some of the most bizarre decision making and lapses in concentration you will see at that level. You just never know what you're going to get. With Lindelof it's clear now that he was just terrified of making any sort of mistake under Jose, so there's hope for him. Bailly I can't work out just yet, but seems another in the Jones/Smalling bracket although I'd like him to get a proper run injury-free just to see.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 19:19:48 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Smalling is good in the air but terrible with the ball at his feet. He also grabs attackers all the time in the box which is a penalty waiting to happen.

Jones scares the shit out of me every time he is picked you never know when his next calamity is coming or a tackle to injure himself.

Bailly looked great for his first season but hasn't been up to scratch for ages. He is very easy in th tackle as well.

Lindelof looked like the worst Utd defender I had ever seen at first but is now somehow our best. I'm not sure if the others have lowered my expectations that much or if he is genuinely good enough if he has a quality partner next to him.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2019 19:59:56 14,287 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel like this is the game that will really decide whether OGS gets the job for real. This just feels like more of a proper litmus somehow than the league.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 20:02:49 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, I think the complete opposite. The recovery in the league if it leads to 4th would be a huge feather in his cap.
  • Baihu1983 12 Feb 2019 20:05:00 10,817 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unless they fall apart for the rest of the season I can't see how they can't offer it to him?

Can't remember the last time Utd played this well?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2019 20:06:31 14,287 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would be the greater achievement, but I feel like the league form can still be put somewhat down to the managerial bounce and the general Ďthe witch is deadí vibe at OT. But in the long term the fans and club want a heavyweight that can manage at the highest level and this feels more of a test of his ability to do that.

Dunno. Could well be wrong. Just feels like getting a result against PSG would really validate him.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Feb 2019 20:13:53 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kimpembe looks like he has arrived straight from the 1980's
  • Dgzter 12 Feb 2019 20:27:58 2,629 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Urgh, PSG look fucking wank. These games are so often a disappointment. Bleh.
  • bladdard 12 Feb 2019 20:34:33 1,380 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dgzter they look shit but barely brush against them and theyíre on the deck and the ref is handing out yellows. United will lose pogba tonight and itíll be shit soft.
  • dmj 12 Feb 2019 20:37:48 974 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ref is certainly loving his yellow cards this half.
  • bladdard 12 Feb 2019 20:47:35 1,380 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Young got lucky but then he didnít tug Mbappe.
  • bladdard 12 Feb 2019 20:53:28 1,380 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dull bleugh
  • Dgzter 12 Feb 2019 20:53:32 2,629 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really? Looked like a pretty clear tug to me, but Iíd need to see it againóYoung didnít seem to complain about the yellow, at any rate.

Other one looked a little naughty lol not sure if a second yellow would have been harsh, but he knew what he was doing.
  • Tomo 12 Feb 2019 20:55:42 16,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kimpembe should be off imo. That second challenge on Shaw was so clumsy. He looks half a second off the pace all the time.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.