Eye Toy

• Blerk Moderator 3 Mar 2003 10:46:16 48,222 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is it just me, or is Sony's much hyped 'Eye Toy' the most pointless peripheral since that spinny robot thing that you could get for the NES?

Leafing through a PS2 mag this weekend I read an 'excited' article talking about how great it's going to be and hyping a fantastic 'window cleaning simulation' that would ship with it!

Well colour me underwhelmed.

Wouldn't the cash they spent on what it basically an over-engineered web-cam have been better spent on games? You know, the things that people will actually buy?

Prediction: Eye Toy will sell precisely two units. Both to Sony employees.

Discuss.
  • pjmaybe 3 Mar 2003 10:48:40 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You've been reading my next week's comic strip scripts haven't you....!

I can't see how this is going to revolutionize gaming. Even though the PS2 is capable of some pretty quick graphics processing, I can't see how it's going to be able to take in visual data quick enough to enable someone to make an enjoyable game out of it. I would love to be proved wrong though. Personally I could see a good boxing/martial arts game coming out of it...something along those lines.

We'll see - I think it's just a gimmick as it stands and the PS2 will be dead before anyone actually bothers to make anything decent for it - that's my humble opinion.

Peej
  • ssuellid 3 Mar 2003 10:54:58 19,141 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    They featured it on some crappy TV show about wanabee games industry kids. 3 of these kids had to think up a new game design, firstly with some game experts, then with Molyneux and then at Sony with the EyeToy. It looked like a webcam but all the games were pretty simple, pretending to be a piston, cleaning windows etc. It looked like it could be fun for party games, losing weight and thats about it.
  • pjmaybe 3 Mar 2003 11:07:13 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    (Yawn)

Sounds...er...fab!

Peej
  • Dirtbox 3 Mar 2003 11:20:51 91,447 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Mar 2003 11:24:11 48,222 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    That's one word, surely? :-)
  • sam_spade 3 Mar 2003 11:24:36 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    That's not even a word.
  • Dirtbox 3 Mar 2003 11:36:59 91,447 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • eviltobz 3 Mar 2003 11:38:03 2,511 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    aren't they meant to be using the eye toy to do a version of that police 24/7 arcade light gun game, where you actually get to dodge around as you shoot the bad guys? that could be pretty cool (apart from the fact that most people's tvs are probably to low to the floor to work well with a game you play standing up and shooting the screen, ho hum)
  • pjmaybe 3 Mar 2003 11:38:23 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Actually, future value on Ebay has got to be one of the reason's I'm getting Steel Battallions

Peej
  • Whizzo 3 Mar 2003 11:46:17 44,807 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Police 911 is what you're on about eviltobz. It's actually rather fun as an arcade machine don't know how well it will transfer though.

As long as developers use a bit of imagination the eye toy could produce some rather unique games, whether they'll be any fun is where it gets tricky.
  • pjmaybe 3 Mar 2003 14:24:30 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Police 911 is what you're on about eviltobz. It's actually rather fun as an arcade machine don't know how well it will transfer though.

As long as developers use a bit of imagination the eye toy could produce some rather unique games, whether they'll be any fun is where it gets tricky.

Actually Police 9/11 has been out for the PS2 for a while. Bundled with it's own camera, I think it got reviewed in OPSM2 about 5 months or so ago...got a 4 (not much cop, if you'll pardon the pun)

Peej
  • Whizzo 3 Mar 2003 14:53:37 44,807 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ooops yeah you're right, it did come out last year. You have to buy your own camera though which is probably why it didn't get much shelf space.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.