Next Last
  • Nanocrystal 13 Nov 2020 10:15:57 2,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hollow Knight's a bit good aint it?
  • Trowel 13 Nov 2020 10:57:03 23,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's a brutal time sink. In my experience it takes about 20 hours until you're sufficiently upgraded for the game to feel 'fair'. First time I've put 100+ hours into a game then come away not sure if I even enjoyed it.
  • mrpon 13 Nov 2020 11:22:54 36,544 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure how useful this is, but US PS+ is half price: £23
  • Nanocrystal 13 Nov 2020 12:27:41 2,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Trowel Haha yes I've almost rage-deleted it about six times so far, but then you scrape through a tough section by the skin of your teeth and get another power up... and the sense of progress makes you persevere. Some parts really do seem unfair though, especially with the sparse check pointing.
  • theguy 13 Nov 2020 21:43:47 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Let the sub lapse for a day and buy what you want.
    While you’re subbed you “own” it already.
    It'd be nice but there's two issues with that. My sub is active for a while, but more importantly, you lose access to the PS+ sale prices if your sub lapses. It's a pretty daft system

Trowel wrote:
    It's a brutal time sink. In my experience it takes about 20 hours until you're sufficiently upgraded for the game to feel 'fair'. First time I've put 100+ hours into a game then come away not sure if I even enjoyed it.
    I was tempted to start it soon. 100 hours? I thought it'd be around 30-49!
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2020 22:22:48 83,631 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it took me about 26-27 hours to complete it at 60(ish)%.

That was plenty for me. I’d had enough of it by then and was happy to just get the main story done. It looked like there was more fucking about than I could be bothered with as the game is unbelievably obtuse.

YYMV and all that. I do seem to be in a minority but I really couldn’t be arsed to put more time into it than that (and I’m a massive metroidvania fan)
  • Trowel 13 Nov 2020 22:30:25 23,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's not even a proper Metroidvania game - the new powers you get are largely just better versions of something you could already do, and from memory a couple of the most useful ones are right at the end of the game.

The badges are a nice idea, but in reality it just means more backtracking to fucking benches to change your loadout.

It made me very angry throughout, but there's something very satisfying about the challenge of exploration.
  • Kay 13 Nov 2020 23:19:07 20,834 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    I was tempted to start it soon. 100 hours? I thought it'd be around 30-49!
    I almost 100% completed it (including DLC) at around 40hrs. So yeah, it's not quite that long. And it's also utterly brilliant imo.
  • theguy 14 Nov 2020 14:14:37 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks all, will know what I'm getting into it if I do give it a go
    If I like it I look forward to not being able to buy it because of PS+
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.