Playstation Plus (PS3/PS4/VITA) Page 283

Next Last
  • mrpon 5 Jan 2021 14:56:37 36,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @evaluna try it from the app, seems okay.
  • DJCopa 5 Jan 2021 14:58:20 2,464 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @monkman76 Thanks for that. I felt lazy asking but wasn't sure on suppliers.

Right, getting online...
  • mrpon 5 Jan 2021 16:45:54 36,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DJCopa don't forget you need to purchase (they're £0) the monthly PS+ games to add them to your library.

Yes, it's shit.
  • DJCopa 5 Jan 2021 17:02:21 2,464 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mrpon This is the advice I need, thanks 😁
  • GumboVariations 5 Jan 2021 17:26:09 82 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Is that Chris Parnell (Cyril in Archer/Jerry in Rick and Morty) narrating Maneater?

If only Ecco the Dolphin had a tutorial like this.
  • SolidSCB 5 Jan 2021 17:37:03 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha I clocked Jerry narrating straight away myself.
  • muddyyfunster 5 Jan 2021 18:10:15 804 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just given each game 30mins:

Maneater: quite like the premise and Jerry's narration but not sure this one is for me. A bit disappointed that it's not really as innovative as it first appears. Seems to follow all the usual open-world tropes except this time you're a shark. Couldn't get on with the controls or camera.

Tomb Raider: I really enjoyed the first tomb raider as one of my first PS4 games in 2014. This one already feels exactly the same, and perhaps if it was still 2014 I'd be lapping it up. Unfortunately, it's now 2021 and we've had loads of better third-person action games in the past 6 years. Can't find the motivation for more of this.

Greedfall: 30fps is pretty jarring (coming from Spiderman Remastered) and it looks pretty rough at times with fairly odd lighting, hard to read text and some weird NPC animations. Almost as janky as Cyberpunk in some respects, and the combat tutorial was pretty bad (reminded me of Witcher 2). However, the voice acting is fantastic and it seems like there might be a decent story to come so think I'll give this one a bit longer. Would love a PS5 patch though.

Collectively these three (and even Spiderman to a lesser extent) ram home how stuck in a rut developers became across the last generation.

Way too many third-person open-world games with real-time combat and 'lite' RPG elements like item collecting, item crafting and a bit of light puzzling whilst hoovering a map full of icons.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 18:11:50 05-01-2021
  • GumboVariations 5 Jan 2021 18:22:47 82 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I think a lot of folks who have been gaming for a few decades now are in a unique situation as we've effectively grown up with the medium and are used to innovation and revolutions, but gaming is now around long enough that it has somewhat plateaued, just like how there's rarely anything truly original these days in music, films, books, etc., gaming is getting to that point too.

We've probably been gaming since before FPS games existed, before action-RPGs did, before 3D fighting games did, before loot-em-ups did, before MMORPGs did, etc., do it's kinda inevitable that most games we see these days are merely iterative.

Only so many ways to skin a cat and all that.

Edited by GumboVariations at 18:23:46 05-01-2021
  • muddyyfunster 5 Jan 2021 19:35:50 804 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's an interesting argument and makes a lot of sense. Certainly the rate of hardware improvement has slowed so perhaps the opportunities for innovation have also narrowed.

Just feels like there used to be more variety in triple A gaming.
  • RyanDS 5 Jan 2021 22:00:48 13,673 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    That's an interesting argument and makes a lot of sense. Certainly the rate of hardware improvement has slowed so perhaps the opportunities for innovation have also narrowed.

Problem is before you had a person in his basement or a few mates to make top tier games so you could experiment. Wasnít worms a solo effort? Tomb Raider was probably 20 people. These days it seems so much money and time is involved you canít innovate and take the risk.

Yes I know mine craft was one person so there are exceptions, see also Demon Souls.... but I understand persona 5 was a tiny team of 50 people? I do think AAA innovation will iterate rather than revolutionise going forward.
  • IronGiant 5 Jan 2021 22:18:55 6,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GumboVariations wrote:
    I think a lot of folks who have been gaming for a few decades now are in a unique situation as we've effectively grown up with the medium and are used to innovation and revolutions, but gaming is now around long enough that it has somewhat plateaued, just like how there's rarely anything truly original these days in music, films, books, etc., gaming is getting to that point too.

We've probably been gaming since before FPS games existed, before action-RPGs did, before 3D fighting games did, before loot-em-ups did, before MMORPGs did, etc., do it's kinda inevitable that most games we see these days are merely iterative.

Only so many ways to skin a cat and all that.
    With that in mind itís probably why Iíve enjoyed Astrobot, both PSVR and PS5 games, so much. The experience offered by PSVR was amazing and the DualSense really makes the PS5 game shine.
  • GumboVariations 5 Jan 2021 22:56:16 82 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I've not played Astro VR, but I certainly cooed at Playroom's use of the Dualsense like I haven't done at a game in years, precisely because it was something I haven't experienced before.

And because we're into gaming's middle age (I guess), being absolutely cracking has to be your baseline. Like say Astro's use of the Dualsense would've been moot if the game itself was no good. Mario 64 happened a quarter of a century ago, so that's the baseline for 3D platformers.
  • GumboVariations 5 Jan 2021 23:05:31 82 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:

I'm not sure if it's even down to hardware at this stage - controllers are effectively unchanged in the last two decades, and a lot of the biggest selling games today (GTA, CoD, FIFA, etc.) were fully formed back then too, just at a much lower fidelity.

2D fighting games were debatably the first to plateau - they peaked in the late 90s with Street Fighter 3 and Garou, but there's still been some great 2D fighter since (mostly ASW games). Just like say thrash metal - it can still be potent, but it's not going to be as memorable or as impactful as hearing Reign in Blood or Master of Puppets
    back in 1986.
  • muddyyfunster 5 Jan 2021 23:52:59 804 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Other than PSVR I can't think of any technically innovative experiences that really pushed the boundaries on consoles in the last generation. There were a few ambitious twists on old ideas like the Witness and Death Stranding but they were pretty few and far between.

Totally agree regarding Astrobot, as an example of a game that has that rare 'new experience' x-factor.

Seems like the PC is a bit better in this regard. With the caveat that I've played none of them, I'm envious of HL:Alyx, Star Citizen, uncompromised Cyberpunk, and ludicrously detailed sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator, iRacing and Assetto Corsa Competitione.

Hoping to see some PS5 games announced that show this sort of ambition, otherwise, I might have to get a gaming PC for the first time in over a decade.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 23:53:30 05-01-2021

Edited by muddyyfunster at 23:54:42 05-01-2021
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.