Digistiser: gone to the dogs?

• ST.. 7 Nov 2002 16:00:03 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I used to read channel 4's Digister pages religously. Has anyone else noticed however the downfall in its quality of late: a lot of the humour and commentary has been removed not to mention less frequent updates.

I wonder if the legendary "Mr. Biffo" is even at the helms any more?
  • ST.. 7 Nov 2002 16:01:13 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That should of course read "Digitiser", if you'll excuse my apparent dyslexic tendencies...
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Nov 2002 16:03:52 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's no secret that Teletext hates Digitiser but can't get rid of it because it's so popular. Their last attempt to 'slap it down' was the most successful so far, removing most of everything that made it Digitiser. I note that some of the humour has been returning of late, however - obviously they've discovered it's not as popular as it used to be.

If you can find Stuart Campbell's home page there are some very (very) damning words from him regarding the Digi vs The Management battles. But that could possibly be because they sacked him. :-)
  • ST.. 7 Nov 2002 16:08:32 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk,

Is Paul Rose still the main guy writing though?
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Nov 2002 16:20:32 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    He is, yes. They never mention any names on Teletext any more, but you can see the names of the article writers on the web site version, like this (rather damning) Xbox article.
  • st3ph3n 7 Nov 2002 22:18:17 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Being in someway loosely connected to digitiser fandom (or atleast it was 5 years ago) I have to agree that it has gone to the dogs slightly, although recently it got better when they allowed Mr Biffo to regain some of his out and out sarcasm.

I miss the snakes though.
  • Daryoon 7 Nov 2002 23:20:30 5,912 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Channel 4 hated Digi, and when 9/11 happened they used some excuse about ad rates lowering in order to clamp down on everything and turn the thing into another press-release rehasher like BBCs poor attempt at a text mag.
    When that happened, the good magazine that was Digitiser ceased to exist. It's more hype now than fun, twisted and evil.

Edited by Daryoon at 23:20:49 07-11-2002
  • DaM 8 Nov 2002 07:55:42 17,468 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I lost our terrestrial signal and therefore teletext for 6 months, and I did miss Digi at first, but like all the magazines that you couldn't live without, Crash, Arcade etc, when they're gone..... Got it back now, and only occasionally look.

But compared to the BBC one...it truely is woeful!
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Nov 2002 08:44:33 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The guy on the Beeb is still telling people that GTA3 is coming out for Xbox 'soon'. He's obviously just a suit in an office who searches the 'net for games info. At least Biffo and co are real gamers.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice yesterday that Digi was talking about 'relaunching soon'. Fingers crossed... I want the snakes back. And Zombie Dave. And Mr T. Hell, I even liked 'Daddy Cool'. ;-)
  • st3ph3n 9 Nov 2002 16:21:44 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Inspector morse also, but don;t know if they could put that on now.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Nov 2002 08:59:37 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I see they've announced the 'relaunch' plans, and that includes going daily again! Hurrah! :-D

On the slight minus side.... it's seems they're now going to be lumped in with the 'yoof' section. Hopefully this won't mean using words like 'pants' and 'it rocks' every two pages.

Fingers crossed!
  • Sonics_Idiot_Brother 11 Nov 2002 19:33:42 2 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I also used to religously read digi, but stopped when they started panning everything. Used to agree with lots of what Stuart Campbell had to say though. BBC's effort on page 535 is truely awful however, with the gaming guru, David Gibbon! I see today theyve proclaimed Ratchet & Clank better than mario.

Btw, does anyone feel digis pages 'refresh' far too quick!
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Nov 2002 08:49:59 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, they've been going just a bit too fast for ages now. I usually need about another five to ten seconds to read the pages 'comfortably' rather than having to speed-read everything.

I don't think it's fair to say that Digi pan everything. They're just not overly generous, and I think that's a good thing. If they say something is top-notch then most likely it is.
  • ST.. 12 Nov 2002 09:57:36 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I agree completely Blerk. I generally find that digi have far and away the most trust-worthy reviews.

Edge of course, have the least...
  • ST.. 20 Nov 2002 11:32:21 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The relaunch of Digi (to page 175) went well i thought.

Glad to see the much missed Biffo-humour returning at last.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.